Well what is this? SimCity 5? It's unofficially a thing.

  • 77 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for dalai
#1 Posted by Dalai (7868 posts) -

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag
 
Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

I may be in love.
I may be in love.
Avatar image for justin258
#2 Posted by Justin258 (14374 posts) -

4 still doesn't look too bad as far as I'm concerned. Oh, yeah, and I can run 4. I won't be able to run 5. That might have something to do with that.

Anyway, what will the multiplayer be like? Co-op murdering of the entire town?

Here's another random thought: It would be awesome if you could become a character in whatever world you created and go Saints Row 3 nuts on everything. It would be even better if it used the Frostbite engine and everything was destructible, meaning you could make a skyscraper, turn into your character, place C4 charges along the whole thing, fill it full of people, and then blow it to hell just because you feel like being a dick that day.

Avatar image for ssj4raditz
#3 Posted by ssj4raditz (1156 posts) -

I haven't play a SimCity since the second game.

Avatar image for mrklorox
#4 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

I hope they go all procedural with the roads and building placement this time. Grids made sense back in the 90's, but real cities aren't perfectly aligned like that all over.

Avatar image for dalai
#5 Edited by Dalai (7868 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

I hope they go all procedural with the roads and building placement this time. Grids made sense back in the 90's. But real cities aren't all perfectly aligned like that.

Looking at the pictures, the grid is still there, but the road placement can go off-grid.
Did I mention that I may be in love?
Did I mention that I may be in love?
Avatar image for mikemcn
#6 Edited by Mikemcn (8175 posts) -

I want the whole region from Sim city 4, but the ability to zoom in and out without loading screens. The Sims 3 did it, Sim City 5 should do it too.

Also, non linear roads sounds like they're not going to let us place roads, i don't like that, i like building avenues and transportation networks.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Dalai said:

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag.

Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

How the fuck would that work? Aren't roads lines?

Avatar image for mrklorox
#8 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -
@Dalai: I dunno. Looking at the un-gridded road on the right, the buildings seem to be aligning themselves to it. I'm sure the option to make straight blocks spaced perfectly apart is still there, but it doesn't look like it's forced upon us this time around.
 
edit: The yellowish building with the grey roof right beside the raised highway looks like it doesn't have a regular road touching it. So the "bug" of having a barricaded highway working as an access road looks like it still exists.
Avatar image for dalai
#9 Posted by Dalai (7868 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Dalai said:

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag.

Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

How the fuck would that work? Aren't roads lines?

Gamespot used that word, I'm just the messenger.
Avatar image for video_game_king
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Dalai said:

Gamespot used that word, I'm just the messenger.

I do not regret leaving that site, especially under these circumstances.

Avatar image for mikegosot
#11 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -

So, what are my disaster options in this game?

Avatar image for mrklorox
#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -
@MikeGosot said:
So, what are my disaster options in this game?
Oh man I wonder if Nintendo owns the green haired cartoon Will Wright from SimCity SNES. I want to have him trample through my city like a gigantic monster.
Avatar image for greggd
#13 Posted by GreggD (4595 posts) -

Dude. DUDE. DUDE! Amazing. SIMCITY 5 2013 GET HYPE!

Avatar image for matthew
#14 Posted by Matthew (2151 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

So, what are my disaster options in this game?

This. This is the most important question yearning to be answered.

Lets hope they have a real instance of Y2K. That would be hilarious.

Avatar image for mikegosot
#15 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
@MikeGosot said:
So, what are my disaster options in this game?
Oh man I wonder if Nintendo owns the green haired cartoon Will Wright from SimCity SNES. I want to have him trample through my city like a gigantic monster.
Man, i hated that guy. He always interrupted me when i was filling my city with tornados and shit.
Avatar image for dalai
#16 Posted by Dalai (7868 posts) -
@Matthew said:

@MikeGosot said:

So, what are my disaster options in this game?

This. This is the most important question yearning to be answered.

Lets hope they have a real instance of Y2K. That would be hilarious.

Did some searching... avalanches, explosions, and volcanic eruptions are confirmed.
Avatar image for zombiepie
#17 Posted by ZombiePie (6893 posts) -

The moment I realized that this might turn out to be something amazing is when I noticed water pollution in your first image.

Moderator
Avatar image for mikegosot
#18 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
@Dalai said:
@Matthew said:

@MikeGosot said:

So, what are my disaster options in this game?

This. This is the most important question yearning to be answered.

Lets hope they have a real instance of Y2K. That would be hilarious.

Did some searching... avalanches, explosions, and volcanic eruptions are confirmed.
What!? Like... Nukes? OH MAN, I'M GONNA KILL SO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS GAME! And build a city too. Maybe i'll do that.
Avatar image for brunchies
#19 Posted by Brunchies (2501 posts) -

It's been about time, I though sim city 5 was all but dead or at least lying incredibly dormant. Still, HYPE!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for ajayraz
#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12803 posts) -

@believer258 said:

4 still doesn't look too bad as far as I'm concerned. Oh, yeah, and I can run 4. I won't be able to run 5. That might have something to do with that.

Anyway, what will the multiplayer be like? Co-op murdering of the entire town?

Here's another random thought: It would be awesome if you could become a character in whatever world you created and go Saints Row 3 nuts on everything. It would be even better if it used the Frostbite engine and everything was destructible, meaning you could make a skyscraper, turn into your character, place C4 charges along the whole thing, fill it full of people, and then blow it to hell just because you feel like being a dick that day.

that sounds a lot like what Sim City 2000 had where you could use your Sim City 2000 levels in SimCopter to fly around and stuff or you could cause major havoc in them using Streets of Sim City.

oh man. i hope i still have my SimCopter disc around here.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
#21 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (332 posts) -

That looks great! Its nice to see something coming out that is different and old school! I HOPE this is real!

Avatar image for chemin
#22 Posted by Chemin (656 posts) -

Damn! This has got me stoked. It's high time for a new SimCity game, for sure, and this could be fuckin' rad.

Avatar image for kosmok
#23 Posted by KosmoK (67 posts) -

These news make me want to boot up SimCity 4 again. It's actually quite sad that SimCity is more or less the only contender in that genre. But man, that game sucked sooo many hours out of my life. That said, can't wait for it. A 2012 release would be preferable though...

Oh, and yes, there are other, similar games around, but none of them can compete with it. SimCIty will always be the big daddy.

Avatar image for zombiepenguin9
#25 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (582 posts) -

Oh man. This totally made my day. I never played SimCity 4, but I may have to pick it up before this is released.

I have no idea how many hours of my life are sitting in SimCity 2000 save files on long gone hard drives.

Avatar image for ben_h
#26 Posted by Ben_H (3938 posts) -

Day one purchase. No question. I love me some SimCity.

Avatar image for grilledcheez
#27 Posted by Grilledcheez (4067 posts) -

Awesome, JUST AWESOME

Avatar image for doctorwelch
#28 Edited by DoctorWelch (2817 posts) -

GREAT! I have been itching to play a new SimCity game for a couple years so if this is true I'm super excited.

ALSO, THOSE SCREEN SHOTS LOOK AMAZING!

Avatar image for kosmok
#29 Posted by KosmoK (67 posts) -

@zombiepenguin9 said:

Oh man. This totally made my day. I never played SimCity 4, but I may have to pick it up before this is released.

I have no idea how many hours of my life are sitting in SimCity 2000 save files on long gone hard drives.

Be careful! SC4 is great, but you loose time like nowhere else. It's one of those games where you sit down and think to yourself "Hey, I'll boot it up for an hour or so..." and suddenly you're feeling hungry, realizing it's been four hours or more. At least that's what happened to me. On more than one occasion...

Other than that it's great and I can't wait for SC5 to ruin my life all over again. Addicted to WoW? Then you haven't played SimCity!

Avatar image for chrissedoff
#30 Posted by chrissedoff (2353 posts) -

cool beans

Avatar image for jimbo
#31 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -
@Mikemcn

I want the whole region from Sim city 4, but the ability to zoom in and out without loading screens. The Sims 3 did it, Sim City 5 should do it too.

Also, non linear roads sounds like they're not going to let us place roads, i don't like that, i like building avenues and transportation networks.

@Video_Game_King

@Dalai said:

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag.

Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

How the fuck would that work? Aren't roads lines?

Not sure if serious x2.

Of course you'll build the roads. He means non-linear roads as in bendy roads.
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
#32 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1548 posts) -

Oh man, can I send my city's waste to another city? Will Wright already suckered me into buying Spore after watching that presentation, assuming it had real multiplayer. Also I hope this game isn't hardcapped at 30 FPS like Spore.

Avatar image for masha2932
#33 Posted by Masha2932 (1336 posts) -
Avatar image for red12b
#34 Posted by Red12b (9360 posts) -

oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Avatar image for deegee
#35 Posted by DeeGee (2192 posts) -

2013?

Goddamn, people need to stop announcing this stuff so far in advance. It's only March.

Avatar image for ravenlight
#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

I didn't realize how many people were into SimCity.

I mean, it's basically just Dwarf Fortress, right? :trollface:

Avatar image for funkydupe
#37 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

I want a co-op mode in this game.

Avatar image for jimbo
#38 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -
@Funkydupe said:

I want a co-op mode in this game.

""Co-op"" on the same city would be hilarious.
Avatar image for johnlocke
#39 Posted by JohnLocke (679 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

The moment I realized that this might turn out to be something amazing is when I noticed water pollution in your first image.

This is the moment I realized you are right. Dude, Sim City 5!

Totally will play this if it turns out to be real and also includes multiplayer. Now for Transport Tycoon.....

Avatar image for kyle
#40 Edited by Kyle (2376 posts) -

FINALLY! Jeez...

@Video_Game_King said:

@Dalai said:

Rumors of SimCity 5 have been making the rounds on the internet for the past few weeks, but EA wants to keep things hush-hush and make the big announcement themselves. Well... I think the cat is out of the bag.

Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw confirmed SimCity 5 to a German gaming mag and it's expected to come out in 2013. And that's not all! New engine, non-linear roads, multiplayer. Multiplayer! This is the game SimCity fans have been waiting nearly 10 years for. Now I must change my pants.

How the fuck would that work? Aren't roads lines?

I'm sure they just mean curving roads.

Avatar image for blackmoore
#41 Posted by Blackmoore (258 posts) -

Next thing you know they'll have non-Cartesian roads (or whatever the trend was at PAX of last). Imaginary roads. Two imaginary roads creates a tunnel.

Anyhow, I am stoked. This looks good, however it better be on the complexity of Simcity4 at least, and not a Simcity Societies 2.

Avatar image for shagge
#42 Posted by ShaggE (8398 posts) -

Haven't played since 2000, but I'm about ready to SimCity again. (yeah, I declare "SimCity" to be a verb now)

Avatar image for bog
#43 Posted by BoG (5390 posts) -

Oh, gosh. This looks absolutely amazing. The best part about a new Sim City game? I won't need to buy anything else in 2013.

Avatar image for frankcanada97
#44 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4186 posts) -

It better have a good original soundtrack.

Avatar image for overlordoutpost
#45 Posted by OverlordOutpost (6 posts) -

I have never been more hype for a game then I am for Sim City 5, I've been playing this series since I was a kid.

Avatar image for progman9000
#46 Posted by Progman9000 (287 posts) -

@FrankCanada97 said:

It better have a good original soundtrack.

Just quoting you to re-emphasize this. SimCity 3000 had some FANTASTIC music.

Avatar image for professoress
#47 Posted by ProfessorEss (7957 posts) -

I'd be curious to know if they're working on an iPad version.

I'm not all that into iPad gaming but games like SimCity (semi-pointless, meandering, endless affairs) are a perfect fit for me and the device.

Avatar image for godzilla_sushi
#48 Posted by godzilla_sushi (1347 posts) -

I actually play Sim City 4 weekly. I build cities, and wipe my region clean to start over monthly. I couldn't be happier to hear this news! Sim City 4 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
#49 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2473 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

2013?

Goddamn, people need to stop announcing this stuff so far in advance. It's only March.

You think that's bad, look at Square Enix. They announce a new game, pander around for two months then begin to make the game, after making 12 trailers for it. This is efficient compared to that.

Avatar image for dalai
#50 Posted by Dalai (7868 posts) -
@mjwyoshi64 said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

It better have a good original soundtrack.

Just quoting you to re-emphasize this. SimCity 3000 had some FANTASTIC music.

Needs more re-emphasis. And you know what else had fantastic music? SimCity 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.