Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Grab a gunsword and charge your way through hundreds of on-screen enemies to escape persecution for something your father did in this sequel to Treasure's N64 cult classic shooter.

Sin & Punishment 2 Reviews Thread

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

The game's subtitle is Star Successor in the US that gets it on June 27, and Successor of the Skies in Europe, where it's just releasing today. Here's a trailer, though it must be seen in 60 fps to see that the game actually looks good, which most flash players do not offer. Check out the Jap, US and EU websites for more, including developer challenge clips. And yes, I know the dub is horrible, it's told you can play with the Japanese voices and English subtitles. Either way, this is Treasure and rail shooting at its finest. Any fan of the original, the Starfox and Panzer Dragoon series, or just good shmups should not miss it.

What The Critics Said

100 - Eurogamer Italy

Trying to improve a masterpiece is surely not an easy task: risks are many and the comparisons are always dangerous. Yet Nintendo and Treasure fully reached their goal by making Sin & Punishment 2 a game that's better than the original in every single way. Nothing to object to, this is an epochal landmark within the history of the genre, a product that will be remembered for years.

Read Full Review >
    92 - IGN UK

Forget bullet hell - Treasure has created an awesome slice of bullet heaven.

Read Full Review >

90 - Eurogamer

Here the rewards are rich, satisfying and threaded in the design. The compulsion to play through the game has not been found in manipulative shortcuts, but in graft and execution and a plethora of ideas. It is expensive game-making, for sure, but it is game-making at its absolute best.

Read Full Review >

90 - games(TM)

There are so many standout moments in Sin and Punishment 2 that it would be criminal to describe any more, as they're best experienced first-hand. [Issue#91, p.122]

90 - Official Nintendo Magazine UK

We hate using the word 'hardcore' but if we had to attach it to any game it would be this one. [May 2010, p.73]

90 - Meristation

Nintendo and Treasure fully reached their goal in the making of a better and longer action adventure - Sin & Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky's one of the most beautiful games that you'll find on the Wii console. It uses an interesting score system that hardcore players will love, not only because its playability, but also for the online ranking system. Shame there's not a WiFi coop to share with players around the world.

Read Full Review >

90 - Teletext GameCentral

Treasure are at the top of their game in this endlessly inventive master class in on-the-rails shooting.

Read Full Review >

90 - Nintendo Life

Fingers are now firmly crossed that this sublime title finds the audience it so clearly deserves.

Read Full Review >

87 - Games Master UK

Impressive, imaginative and never less than exciting. A great blast on Wii. [Mar 2010, p.63]

87 - NGamer UK

A rollercoaster straight to Bullet Hell. [Christmas 2009, p.58]

Read Full Review >

87 - Everyeye.it

Sin & Punishment 2 is a splendid shooter. The continuous changes in the perspective adds a strange taste to a classic experience, while the wiimote is just perfect as a control device for this frantic instant classic.

Read Full Review >

86 - 3DJuegos

Addicting and impressive. A great blast on Wii.

Read Full Review >

80 - Edge Magazine

Sin And Punishment 2's real value lies in the (now online-enabled) hi-score tables and a brilliant risk/reward scoring system. [Christmas 2009, p.94]

Read Full Review >
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

Good scores and that alone is enough to give me confidence.  Not sure when the local release is, but there is quite a few games on my buy list that need satisfying yet.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Watch a few videos and suss out the gameplay.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:
     Nothing to object to, this is an epochal landmark within the history of the genre, a product that will be remembered for years. 
    If only. Few people care. Few people even know it exists. Nobody will buy it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

It doesn't say by how many it will be remembered :P

I'm sure genuine shmup fans will lap it up.

13 reviews total now, more to come.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne

How is a hypothetical Star Fox Wii even going to top this game? I am only at stage 3 now, and it is starting to get REALLY good. The first two stages are comparably tame, that's why it took me a while to warm up on it. Much like this video starts out slow and then dives right into it.

Nonetheless, there will be four million "ha ha finally a reason to get a wii" people when/if Star Fox is announced. Do a barrel roll!
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Honestly? Looks really boring. 

I've never really been into the idea of on-rails shooters though, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I can play and enjoy top-down and side-scrolling shoot 'em ups, but behind the back and first-person perspectives just don't do anything for me unless I've got full control. I just feel restricted and passive, and get bored.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @Icemael said:
    " Honestly? Looks really boring. I've never really been into the idea of on-rails shooters though, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I can play and enjoy top-down and side-scrolling shoot 'em ups, but behind the back and first-person perspectives just don't do anything for me unless I've got full control. I just feel restricted and passive, and get bored. "
    Sin&Punishment is a side-scrolling shooter most of the time? The perspective changes a lot, and you have got as much control over your character as in any other top-down or side-scrolling shooter.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:

" @Icemael said:

" Honestly? Looks really boring. I've never really been into the idea of on-rails shooters though, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I can play and enjoy top-down and side-scrolling shoot 'em ups, but behind the back and first-person perspectives just don't do anything for me unless I've got full control. I just feel restricted and passive, and get bored. "

Sin&Punishment is a side-scrolling shooter most of the time? The perspective changes a lot, and you have got as much control over your character as in any other top-down or side-scrolling shooter. "
    Huh. In most of the footage I've seen the game has been played from a behind the back perspective, which I can't stand. 

Youtube hasn't been working properly for me today so I can't look at any videos right now, but I'll make sure to check some more when I can.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By DukeTogo

Sega, see this?  Where is a new Space Harrier like this?  You made a decent After Burner, keep it going.  Of course this also brings me to mention a lack of a Panzer Dragoon title this generation.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't see how it's so different to regular shmups just because the screen scrolls in any number of ways, thanks to being 3D. In the end it's just a visual effect, the enemies still come from all directions as in a shmup. It plays like a shmup that lets you fire in any direction rather than just left to right or bottom to top, and constantly shifts the perspective from side scrolling to forward scrolling, to whatever it wants any given moment, without changing the controls which allow you to move and dodge around the whole screen like any shmup (aside from sections you can't hover in and so are restricted to the bottom + jumping.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

THIS LOOKS AWESOME! Whats with the Wii and having so many good games lately? NMH2, Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, MH3, and Other M is coming this summer. WIIIIII!!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Willy105
    @xyzygy said:
    " THIS LOOKS AWESOME! Whats with the Wii and having so many good games lately? NMH2, Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, MH3, and Other M is coming this summer. WIIIIII!! "
    It has to do more with these appealing to you more.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Willy105 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " THIS LOOKS AWESOME! Whats with the Wii and having so many good games lately? NMH2, Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, MH3, and Other M is coming this summer. WIIIIII!! "
    It has to do more with these appealing to you more. "
    Well still. I haven't been this appealed by the Wii library since it launched.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Willy105
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    It has to do more with these appealing to you more. "
    Well still. I haven't been this appealed by the Wii library since it launched. "
    I remember the Wii launch. Biggest number of launch titles in history.

I wanted to get Excite Truck, but never got it. My first Wii game ended up being Super Paper Mario a while later.
    DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By DarkbeatDK

It's already out here in Europe and I've put up a review of it

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowayne

51 seconds before the actual review starts = No, no, no. You lose 50% of your viewers. 

Good selection of footage, but boring editing + voice over. Still good though, thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.