Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sine Mora

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 21, 2012

A side-scrolling shoot-'em-up by Grasshopper Manufacture and Digital Reality, set in an anthropomorphic dieselpunk fantasy universe.

Sine Mora - high praise

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

At least from the initial reviews, this game is getting, surprisingly for me, very high scores. A 9.0 from Eurogamer and two 9.5 from Destructoid and Gamer Limit(?).

"The fantasy world built within this game is one of the richest I’ve ever encountered in any medium."

"Sine Mora (...) is one of the boldest and most fascinating games of this generation, period."

That's some big words.

So, are there any duders here that have played Sine Mora? How do you think of it? Is it as spectacular as these initial reviews claim it to be?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Haven't played it myself yet, but word on the Shmups Forum (whose members I trust way more than professional game reviewers when it comes to this genre) is that it ain't too hot. 

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32754&start=420

Zaarock said:

Played through story mode on the "challenging" difficulty.. very disappointed tbh. The visuals and music are great, but the stage design and gameplay system has lots of issues; 

Level design: 
    - Bad pacing at many parts (spelunking in caves and tunnels in a shmup, wow cool) & repetition of same boring popcorn enemy waves to stretch levels out. 
    - Boss fights with miniscule hitboxes (say, only the middle bullet of all your shots can hit the only remaining weakpoint of one boss and barely damage) 
    - Enemies spawning from behind you sometimes without warning, and boss lasers and some attacks being basically undodgeable unless you know exactly how it works (as in, cheap attacks) most stupid part like this I can think of is the wrecking ball boss sequence. 
    - Imbalance between levels in how many powerups are dropped, stages with few item drops are perhaps too much easier/harder depending on if you have lost powerups before them or not. 
    - Sloppy bullet patterns: I just get the impression the devs are trying to make bullet hell style patterns for the first time, which can understandably not be good.. but it's still not good. Some patterns are completely pointless and basically miss the player completely while others are very hard for the player to visualize. The bullet patterns are also very inconsistent throughout they game, they don't stick to a similar pace or some kind of rules in terms of speed or how a projectile sprite is expected to work etc. 
    - Hard to see projectiles: missiles and minimised size normal bullets(why even use these) are way too hard to see sometimes. 

System: 
    - Too many powerup levels: you're generally either far too weak or too powerful because you usually lose all your power at once and it'll take ages to restock (some stages have basically no drops too) or you'll have a very easy time with maximum powerups which makes it look like the levels weren't designed with that damage output in mind. 
    - Some of the subweapons are really bad (cluster bomb, bomb), while others are extremely powerful in the right situations.. I'm assuming this is a balancing issue.

Klatrymadon said:

I'm having fun, but I can vouch for everything Zaarock said, sadly. Part of me knew all of this was in store as soon as I fired my first shot and the popcorn enemy didn't die.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Winternet

@Icemael: From what I've read, this game is not supposed to cater the devoted shmups players needs or desires. The argument of popcorn enemies not being destroyed on the first shot shows that what they want is very specific and that if the game doesn't go that route, then the game is dismissed. So, I don't think they'll be terribly excited with the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

all the talk of story & world has got me interested yes ... i'll probably play the trial and then make a decision. not a massive fan of the genre but they can be fun

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Winternet: Eurogamer seems to think it's for enthusiasts, from their conclusion at least. Funny seeing those same enthusiasts get angry over that review in the forums.
    ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By ShadowVirus

Played the trial and watched the quick look, it seems ok so I bought it, haven't played any more of it yet.

I'm not a massive "shmup" fan but do like the genre so I don't care if it's not the most perfect shoot em up, it still looks fun to play with great visuals and story.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By isomeri

For some reason, whenever I see the words "high praise" they are spoken in my head with the voice of Nicolas Cage.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @Winternet: The main goal of the project was making a game that pleased genre fans while also appealing to more casual players, not just the latter.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Winternet

@Icemael: well, I'm guessing it's not failing terribly on the former as well.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy

Being not a huge fan of shmups, this game actually looks good to me so if their intention was to cater to the non-hardcore shmup (but still 2D shooter enjoying) fans then it sounds like they succeeded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I really love this game so far. I look bullet hell games (I'm not very good at them) and always want to play them but without a good story or setting hook of some kind I just can't get my brain interested. Sine Mora's setting and decipherable story make it a perfect fit for me. I also like it when shmups use planes, I just like planes.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mwng

I am REALLY digging this at the moment, not had this much fun since Ikaruga.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By kindgineer

It's a fantastic shooter, I love it.

Duminakan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Duminakan89

I played through the game for various hours (until completion), but to be honest with you for the price point I don't think this game gives you enough value for your dollar. I don't think there is much longevity to the title plus there isn't much that differentiates this from some of the greater SHMUPS, besides one major mechanic that employs slowing down time. IF you're a SHMUP fan then maybe wait until this drops in price.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love seeing the terminology certain gaming communities use, never heard 'popcorn enemies' before in my life.

As someone who hasn't really cared for shoot-em-ups since R-Type, I have to say this game is pretty damn good, I don't think it exactly deserves heaps of praise but it's fully functional, very pretty, the story is complete lunacy, and it plays nicely.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Winternet

@James_Giant_Peach said:

I love seeing the terminology certain gaming communities use, never heard 'popcorn enemies' before in my life.

Me neither, though it's a pretty funny and effective expression.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Harkat

I just finished the game. It was a promotional review code, so I didn't have to pay, but I'd say it's a little overpriced if you aren't into score-chasing.

The audio-visual/story experience of it is very good, but not quite good enough to be worth 15$ to a lot of people, seeing as it's quite short.

The story, universe, art and music are all of very high quality.

Booyabase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Booyabase

I'm really enjoying this - it doesn't feel like bullet hell (on hard at least) and yet is still really difficult. Loving the way the achievements are setup, makes you want to try all the different ways of playing it. Graphics and settings are occasionally really nice - loving the bit where you emerge into the sunlit canyon. So yeah, I highly recommend this, especially for the price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.