Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Singularity

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Singularity is Raven Software's alternate history shooter, where the player is given the ability of time manipulation.

Waiting patiently for the GB review

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By cstrang

Ah, yes.  So this game's official release was today in NA.  I have been waiting for this game for a while, but recently put it on the back-burner in my mind.  I guess it's been getting relatively decent scores all-around but I eagerly await what the GB crews have to say, as my tastes match with theirs more often than not, before I drop the cash for it.  Anyone else have their eye on this game?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Jeff apparently just played it for a QL. That should go up soon. I guess he liked it though.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

Sweeeeet.  Quick looks may be even better for my purposes.  FPSs are relatively transparent with their quality.

Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Diagnostic

i think singularity is a pretty cool guy. eh manipulates time and doesn't afraid of anything.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Diagnostic: Man, I haven't heard this in a while! (not being sarcastic)
    superpapergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By superpapergun

Yeah I can't wait for the QL!

Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diagnostic
    @Vito_Raliffe: Hint: sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
    andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By andrela

Awesome, more Timeshift!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

If they are doing a QL does that mean a review is not being made?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By jkz

My copy should come in from gamefly tomorrow, but everything I've seen hints at another solid Raven shooter, with a slightly more tense atmosphere than most. 

I really enjoyed Wolfenstein last year, so this should be right up my alley.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Diagnostic: Sure it does! I have seen it myself. I realized my post might have sounded that way so I put that note at the end.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

next week Jeff will probably post a review, seems he's taking it home so he can play it some more.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Maclintok

Look forward to the QL and/or review.  Sadly, the multiplyer in Singularity has me most interested in buying it but I have a feeling those online lobbies will be ghost towns.  Or at best they will be mildly busy for the first month before petering out fast.  

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pessh

Don't know why they still bother doing reviews, all people do is bitch about how it didn't get 5 stars.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By rjayb89

The box of this game told me nothing about this game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman

It's heeeeere:

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FrankWeidner

I've played the game a bit. It's perfectly competent and has a nice atmosphere, but don't expect much from the time manipulation. The hud just lights up when you can manipulate time, you press a button, and BAM, puzzle solved. Pretty disappointing in that regard.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

Apparently giant audio recordings were a dime a dozen and any little thought you had got its own giant recorder. There are more subtle ways to go about it is all Im sayin.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @ryanwho said:
    " Apparently giant audio recordings were a dime a dozen and any little thought you had got its own giant recorder. There are more subtle ways to go about it is all Im sayin. "
    Like what? 
    What's your brilliant suggestion?
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Rockdalf
    @ryanwho said:
    " Apparently giant audio recordings were a dime a dozen and any little thought you had got its own giant recorder. There are more subtle ways to go about it is all Im sayin. "
    I love all the staples they borrowed from Bioshock and the one thing they left out was audio journals you have to stand by.  Nothing ruins the atmosphere of a game more than having to stop mid game to listen to a journal, especially when it's in a moment of urgency.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    I love all the staples they borrowed from Bioshock and the one thing they left out was audio journals you have to stand by.  Nothing ruins the atmosphere of a game more than having to stop mid game to listen to a journal, especially when it's in a moment of urgency. "
    Yes, but levels would have to be designed with extra special care when you get the freedom to move with the recordings. Otherwise the recordings would be constantly cut off by important story info, cutscenes, etc. 

Every time I think about the complexities of game design, my mind almost explodes. I salute modern game developers.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
    @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ryanwho said:

Like what? What's your brilliant suggestion? "
    What are you on the staff? Take a vicadin real quick and chill out. So I'll start with the obvious. Bioshock didn't have goofy giant audio recorders everywhere and this game is clearly a "me too" reaction to Bioshock. And now for the common sense portion. 50 years ago, well gee I suppose back then everyone was writing. So he could find notes that when read would qeue up the audio of the person who wrote the letter reading it. And if that idea seems asinine, tell that to the hundreds of movies including many classics that have done such a thing. Again, this is after like 5 seconds of mulling it over. Both make more sense than the idea that giant audio recordings are scattered in the air ducts and work after 50 years.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kmdrkul

Just from the few minutes of watching the quick look I was reminded of a lot of different games... Fear (ghosts in a hallway,) Fallout (projector's artwork, stimpacks), Bioshock (general look of game, how everything important glows), Dead Space (look of the monsters.)  It seems to have all come together in a great way, so I'm looking forward to picking this one up on the cheap in a few months.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By damswedon
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " @Diagnostic: Man, I haven't heard this in a while! (not being sarcastic) "
    funny thing is you now sound twice as sarcastic.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    Like what? What's your brilliant suggestion? "
    If you already have random time-magic visual flashbacks going on, then there's no reason they couldn't just have staticy (so you know it's time-magic) audio flashbacks in the appropriate places.  For a game that's trying to be immersive, those massive recorders lying around all over the place are a bit ridiculous.  

Ditto the "You are crouched!" and "Reload!" HUD items right in the middle of the screen.  Amazingly, I can tell that I'm crouched by the way the camera is about a foot off the ground, and yeah I know I should reload because I just fired the gun.  Gaming has developed some really silly habits.
    Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Maclintok

Audio logs are okay... much better than text logs that you have to read. But, how many years has it been since Half-Life 2?  That game unfolded a narrative so seamlessly and efficiently.  Just tell your story as your levels play out, don't make your players listen to half-baked dialog or read eye-destroying pages of ugly text.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.