Creating a Spot With Skate 2

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By Jeff  Staff
Electronic Arts held an event last week devoted to showing off its big release for January, Skate 2. With the game due out next month, it's probably pretty close to finished and so far, it looks pretty good.

The
The "grab the world" button lets you skitch a ride.
The new thing being shown at the event was the Create a Spot mode, which lets you duplicate a lot of the functionality of the franchise's Own the Spot mode. These are places around the world that simply have basic objects for you to trick off of, and you need to beat a set score to complete the challenge. Creating your own, however, lets you move around objects and set a precise scoring zone for the spot to let you configure the challenge in any way you see fit. After moving around ramps and creating a big, glowing box to designate where your spot is, you have to skate it yourself to set a score. From there, you can share the spot online and challenge friends to beat your score. Once your spot is online, it can be rated by other players much like the Skate Reel feature in the previous game. If you're looking to beat some created spots, you can sort by rating, and so on. Spots that don't see much use eventually expire, which should help ensure that there's some actual competition on the available spots.
Beyond that, I was able to just skate around New San Vanelona, the rebuilt version of the city from the first game. While you'll recognize some areas from the first game, like the Matrix Plaza, the old areas have been substantially redesigned. As someone who played an awful lot of the original game, it feels like a new, but still somehow familiar city. You'll also find some entirely new sections of town, like a waterfront, the projects, and San Van Mountain, which sounds like it'll let you gain ridiculous speed as you skate downhill.

Naturally, the game has some control changes that look to nearly double the amount of tricks in the game. Thankfully, these trick changes come in the form of modifiers and additional buttons, rather than just trying to cram more motions onto the already-crowded right stick. So you can use the kick buttons to work your feet into more tricks, the R1/RB button can be used for handplants, grabbing your board before trying to ollie performs bonelesses and beanplants, and so on. The additional trick controls feel really natural.

I have to say, I really appreciate EA's devotion to only releasing shots of this game that feature the fisheye lens.
I have to say, I really appreciate EA's devotion to only releasing shots of this game that feature the fisheye lens.
The Thrasher Hall of Meat was a segment of the first game that showed you how badly you had messed yourself up when falling. It was pretty clever, but it stopped the action to show you, and it eventually gets in the way, especially in the slower-loading Wii game, Skate It. Now, your bails are converted into points and shown on a quick Hall of Meat pop-out score indicator. The developers on-hand said that those points would be useful for something in the game's career mode.

Add to that an already smooth-feeling 60 frames per second on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and you've got a pretty healthy-looking sequel. I voiced my concerns about some of the challenges in the first game requiring specificity that the right stick on a controller just wasn't made for and heard back that the career mode would be a bit more branched this time around to let players focus on something else when they get stuck on a challenge. While that doesn't seem like it will completely solve the problem, most of what I've seen so far has me pretty excited to see how the final product turns out. Expect it in stores on January 21.

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Jeff  Staff
Electronic Arts held an event last week devoted to showing off its big release for January, Skate 2. With the game due out next month, it's probably pretty close to finished and so far, it looks pretty good.

The
The "grab the world" button lets you skitch a ride.
The new thing being shown at the event was the Create a Spot mode, which lets you duplicate a lot of the functionality of the franchise's Own the Spot mode. These are places around the world that simply have basic objects for you to trick off of, and you need to beat a set score to complete the challenge. Creating your own, however, lets you move around objects and set a precise scoring zone for the spot to let you configure the challenge in any way you see fit. After moving around ramps and creating a big, glowing box to designate where your spot is, you have to skate it yourself to set a score. From there, you can share the spot online and challenge friends to beat your score. Once your spot is online, it can be rated by other players much like the Skate Reel feature in the previous game. If you're looking to beat some created spots, you can sort by rating, and so on. Spots that don't see much use eventually expire, which should help ensure that there's some actual competition on the available spots.
Beyond that, I was able to just skate around New San Vanelona, the rebuilt version of the city from the first game. While you'll recognize some areas from the first game, like the Matrix Plaza, the old areas have been substantially redesigned. As someone who played an awful lot of the original game, it feels like a new, but still somehow familiar city. You'll also find some entirely new sections of town, like a waterfront, the projects, and San Van Mountain, which sounds like it'll let you gain ridiculous speed as you skate downhill.

Naturally, the game has some control changes that look to nearly double the amount of tricks in the game. Thankfully, these trick changes come in the form of modifiers and additional buttons, rather than just trying to cram more motions onto the already-crowded right stick. So you can use the kick buttons to work your feet into more tricks, the R1/RB button can be used for handplants, grabbing your board before trying to ollie performs bonelesses and beanplants, and so on. The additional trick controls feel really natural.

The Thrasher Hall of Meat was a segment of the first game that showed you how badly you had messed yourself up when falling. It was pretty clever, but it stopped the action to show you, and it eventually gets in the way, especially in the slower-loading Wii game, Skate It. Now, your bails are converted into points and shown on a quick Hall of Meat pop-out score indicator. The developers on-hand said that those points would be useful for something in the game's career mode.

Add to that an already smooth-feeling 60 frames per second on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and you've got a pretty healthy-looking sequel. I voiced my concerns about some of the challenges in the first game requiring specificity that the right stick on a controller just wasn't made for and heard back that the career mode would be a bit more branched this time around to let players focus on something else when they get stuck on a challenge. While that doesn't seem like it will completely solve the problem, most of what I've seen so far has me pretty excited to see how the final product turns out. Expect it in stores on January 21.

mudkip9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mudkip9000

I really liked skate 1.  I'm a sucker for skateboarding games, and anything that deviates from Tony Hawk is fine by me.. So, naturally, I'm quite excited for this game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sounds pretty good. I like the idea of creating your own spots, though I'm a little bothered by the fact that this game also takes place in San Vanelona. I didn't think it was that great of a city, but with the way they reworked it and added new areas, maybe I'll like it more the second time around. Hopefully the additional trick modifiers will help spice up the gameplay a bit more. I thought a lot of the more advanced tricks in Skate had some really unusual button combinations to try to accomodate of tricks that you could do with the analog stick and didn't feel very natural at all.

Avatar image for thirtiethtwelve
Pathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pathos

I still have to pick up the first game!!

Armor42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Armor42

I looooved skate., and I still play it regularly with friends or by myself just in free skate. I can't wait for skate 2.....

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

I loved the original SKATE but I found that because of the camera it could be hard to line up specific grinds and things, does this game have the same problem, Jeff?

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By imayellowfellow

omg u can skitch!

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Psynapse

Im in the middle of playing this game, i hate the recording feature, how you have to pick something to record, such as 'score 4000 points'... Some of them are stupid as hell... I don't think i'll pick up Skate 2, i think i'd rather the more arcadey feel to the tony hawk series. But i duno, if whoever reviews it gives it a 5/5 i might have a closer look.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Burnout

I thought Skate was excellent, it was the kinda of realism that i love. Looking foward to Skate 2 thats for sure. Thankfully i was one of those who never had a trouble with the controls. I thought San Vanelona was really well designed, from what i've seen it looks even better!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK

i spent sooo many hours on the tony hawks 2 park editor thats for sure

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

cool dude, my brother can't wait to buy this, he's a big time skater dude (14 years old and has hair down to his shoulders)

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy thought the first Skate was pretty cool, it was definitely the best skating game out there for him. He especially loved the flick-it controls. He's also glad to know that Skate 2 is just going to be better in almost every way including more tricks, customization and areas. But it's a shame that the character models didn't improve much, they look kinda bad.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

Can't wait

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first skate was pretty good, this looks even better. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

I played the demo for the first skate well over 50 times, and I rented it once. That said, I'll be picking up Skate 2 within a month of it's release. I do that for maybe 4 games annually.

Virus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Virus

A nice addition would be a skate park level creator. Something more elaborate like the Far Cry 2 editor but obviously tailored to suit skateboarding.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

Hated the first game.  I'm sure I won't warm up to this.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Media_Master

Great!

Avatar image for gelatinousgelboy
Gelatinousgelboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Gelatinousgelboy

Bah, day before Darkfall. I'm so bitter!

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sionweeks

Oh yes!

Avatar image for galvanizednails
GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GalvanizedNails

I'm very intrested in this game, even though I haven't liked a skateboarding game since the original Tony Hawk. Its on my watch list for 09 for sure now

stan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stan12

this looks pretty good so far,  i like the idea of being able to latch onto cars, that was something i thought they should have put in the first game.  create your own spot looks pretty cool too

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By TomA

I quite enjoyed the first skate,i will most likely enjoy this one aswell.

Charleslegrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Charleslegrand

Seriously, I love what you guys do!  You don't try to be over-the-top serious, you keep it light and funny.  I love it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive

haha, 

i love the interview of the interviewer at the end thats awesome!
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Phished0ne

lol that video was amazing, Vinnie is a god.

"how do you feel about the framerate on this interview?"

"well...i feel like it could be better"

"because last year we had some pr-p-pr-problems with the frr-r-r-raamerate"
Landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Landon

Vinny is the greatest video editor of all time!

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By AspiringAndy

Lol I just checked the page for Skate 2 and Dragonforce is going to be in the soundtrack/
Unexpected.
This game is shaping up pretty well, I love free roam skate games.
Tony Hawk 4 was legendary in its time but, they havent really gotten that much better since then.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fishinwithguns

Thank God for skate.  It totally ripped the Tony Hawk games a new one, truly what a skateboarding game should be.  Can't wait until it comes out, I'm actually getting pretty tired of playing fighting games and FPS.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MaddProdigy

Yes. Amazing game. Can't wait for number 2. I hope they stuck pretty solidly to the feel of the first one, i liked how the character moved and the realism/total non realism of everything

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Jedted

I loved the Skate 1 demo but i always got frustrated with the finicky trick system, that and i never could get used to the odd camera angle.  Aside from that it was fun just skating around the park and i'm intrigued by the new trick set-up feature.

hunt_ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hunt_ad

Uhhhhh...I love games... (what's that like!?)

MasterTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MasterTom

awesome review, great game... can't wait!

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By VirtuaXav

Probably should fix that frame rate for the next video feature...haha.

Skate 2 sounds like it should be awesome, it's totally on my 'to-buy' list!

Mawryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mawryk

That video was err, nutzo?

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fraser

Yeh i'm pretty excited for this. Only main problems i had with the first game was that the world felt kinda empty at times, and the overly annoying curb! But both these things seem to have been fixed. (Oh, and the incredibly laggy online which was just impossible to play a lot of the time).

Lets hope they don't just keep adding to it until it's Tony Hawk's

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Might actually pick this one up. I rented the first one and loved it, but never thought it was worth a purchase.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Drebin_893

Haha, was that Shaun McInnis at the beginning?

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By floodiastus

Looks cool, great vid! Keep it up

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cgrady

DUFFY!!!! fucking legend

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pause422

Nice interview guys, I love the "frame rate issue" :P great job with that Vinny!

joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By joslop500

hahaha, awesome stuff

HeadGreebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HeadGreebo

im glad they assigned points to the new thrasher hall of meat thing. me and my housemates assigned points in the first game to each of the injures and had a scoreboard. use to sit around for hours trying to beat each other.

cant wait to play this

HansCz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HansCz

I'm going to be so poor in ´09

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.