Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate

Franchise »

EA's take on skateboarding featuring a unique analog stick trick system that has distinquished itself from the Tony Hawk fanchise.

Skate Game for a Newcomer to the Series?

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By triviaman09

All this Tony Hawk hoopla has made me realize that, besides the demo of the original game on 360, I've never played a Skate game. Now that 3 of these games have been released, which one would be the best to jump into (on 360)? Should I just start with 3, or are the original and 2 better or possibly cheaper?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

I don't know but people seem pretty negative about 3 I think but I'm not sure

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By jonnyboy

To be honest any one you ask will give you a different answer to anyone else, it's just a matter or preference. My advice to you is to look ad a pro-owned section/bargain bin and pull out any of the PS2 Tony hawk games, or any of the Skate game if you want a 360 experience. Regardless of opinion, they are all totally playable and have a bunch of content in them, and whether you like them or not is just a matter of preference but seeing as you can get them for pocket change now, you can afford to find out.

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Callumrides

I feel going with skate 3 is best route if you want to get in to skate as it is the most complete packaged version of the game plus if you want to make your own park or up the difficulty to a more realistic level if you want. hope that helps

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By winsord

@Pie said:

I don't know but people seem pretty negative about 3 I think but I'm not sure

Where did you get that from? Skate 3 didn't majorly improve on Skate 2 in too many ways, but the story mode missions were fun (which they weren't really in the first two), and a lot of minor upgrades happened that just made 3 feel like a much more polished game. I remember there being a lot of people thinking it looked dumb because of the original trailer that came out, but it ended up being a great game. At this point, Skate 3 is what, $20? I'd say just pick that one up; you can at least find some people still playing online, which I doubt you would find as easily in 1/2, if at all.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

Will you play any local multiplayer with dudes? If so, get Skate 2. Skate 3's gimped and you need to buy the MP as DLC.

Oh EA.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I enjoyed 1 the most, 2 felt off but 3 is alright as well.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#8  Edited By Soap

1 doesn't have enough of the features of the rest of the series.

3 is halfassed and not that great as the new city is dull and empty

2 is perfection incarnate. A great selection of tricks, can get off the board, a cool city that feels grimy and alive (rather than clean and empty like 3)

Seriously... 2.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Part 3 is probably the most refined when it comes to controls (especially the movement without a skateboard) and mission design.

But I always enjoyed San Vanelona more than Port Carverton...

So when I am in the mood for some virtual skateboardin' I tend to play part 1 or 2...

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TheJohn

Just go with the third one. It's cheap, got what I think is the best controls and a good intro for new players. Also you can turn on more "realistic" physics, and that makes carving pools pretty goddamn awesome.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By triviaman09

Thanks for the advice, duders. It's given me a lot to think about. I'll probably end up getting either 2 or 3, whichever I can find for cheaper. They're both about the same price on Amazon right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.