Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate

Franchise »

EA's take on skateboarding featuring a unique analog stick trick system that has distinquished itself from the Tony Hawk fanchise.

So um, were the hell is Skate 4!?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By Soap

I've been a pretty huge fan of the Skate series since I first got my hands on the original demo, in fact I think I played that 30 minute demo more than some other games in total and while I personally think Skate 3 was a step back for the series (a less interesting city that is far to clean and to much focus on online features) I'd still love to see a Skate 4. They seemed to do pretty well for EA as well so were the hell is skate 4!?

Anyone else out there wishing they could see a Skate 4 any time soon?

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

They're working on Need For Speed and beauty pageant games now.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jjnen

Dead and burried. Although I'd like to get some.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

Wait, there was a Skate 3?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grissefar

Skate is dead until a next gen reboot comes along because EA thought it was a good idea to shit out a t(h)ird game with 11 months of dev time.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Where the hell is Project 8 2? The last Tony Hawk game I enjoyed.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Nekroskop

Most likely dead or scrapped. A damn shame really. The last game felt a little stale though. At least you can get your skatefix with the new Tony Hawk-collection.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshthebear

I'm all for it but they need to take some time off. 3 was just so off and disappointing after 2 pretty much nailed it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Most likely dead or scrapped. A damn shame really. The last game felt a little stale though. At least you can get your skatefix with the new Tony Hawk-collection.

Tony Hawk HD is a brand new game, not an HD remake or collection.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

I didn't know there was a Skate 3... I guess that says something about how much they care about the series now/

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Tylea002

There's no competition from Tony Hawk, so hopefully they've been taking their time.

That said, also hopefully someone's making another, PROPER TH game. It peaked at 3, but all the additions to the controls made sense, and I loved NTT/G/M. Just design a better story campaign around the controls, and keep the train moving.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By BleedingStarX

If they do make a Skate 4 that they forget 3 ever happened, absolutely LOVED the first 2 but the 3rd one was a huge disappointment for me

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contrarian

Three is more than enough for a single game like this in a single generation. Personally, I think two was more than enough. I just think they kill a frranchise by essentially repeating it almost every year.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nekroskop

@WinterSnowblind said:

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Tony Hawk HD is a brand new game, not an HD remake or collection.

ok

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail

Yeah, I'd like to see this too. I don't know what Black Box's next project is, so it might be this I guess. Unless they are indeed working that Need For Speed "MMO" or something.

Man I kinda miss playing Skate games. Maybe I'll dive into them again.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

I guess EA discovered they couldn't get away with yearly iterations, so they abandoned the project altogether. Skate would be a great series if a game came out every 24 months with significant updates.

@BleedingStarX said:

If they do make a Skate 4 that they forget 3 ever happened, absolutely LOVED the first 2 but the 3rd one was a huge disappointment for me

I've heard other people say this but none could articulate why. What makes Skate 3 suck so much?
    BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By BleedingStarX

@MrKlorox said:

I guess EA discovered they couldn't get away with yearly iterations, so they abandoned the project altogether. Skate would be a great series if a game came out every 24 months with significant updates.

@BleedingStarX said:

I've heard other people say this but none could articulate why. What makes Skate 3 suck so much?

Well for me the thing I really loved about Skate 2 was the Hall of Meat mode, which they completely butchered in Skate 3. The gave the ability for you to basically bounce your mangled body around the world with no interest in physics what so ever to build up your points. I really enjoyed Skate 2's mode where you bailed and let the physics of the character crash around various parts of the world and off cars etc.

The various challenges in the 2nd Skate for me were a lot more enjoyable too, as were the online modes. It also seemed like they reduced the amount of side activities in the 3rd one compared to the original two.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ABritishNerd

@MrKlorox said:

@BleedingStarX said:

Hard to put a finger on it, it didn't have the charm of 1 & 2 (besides the tutorial). The city was far less interesting as were the events.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@MrKlorox said:

@BleedingStarX said:

Skate 2 had some really brilliant online coop modes and challenges. Skate 2 was basically Burnout Paradise with skateboards. It was some of the most fun you could conceivably have online with a console.

Skate 3 stripped all of that stuff out and threw in a really weird career mode that just kind of fell flat. It had some decent options, but it is nowhere near as awesome as the first two games.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By AlexW00d

I WANT SK4TE.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mosespippy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't EA Black Box and EA Canada in the same building? Even if Black Box is making a NFS MMO I bet some of them got off the elevator on another floor and worked on SSX.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dropabombonit

I think a lot of the guys who worked on SSX helped with the race events in Skate 2 and my thinking is that there was some cross pollination between those 2 teams. I loved Skate 2, it may be the best skateboarding game of all time. But Skate 3 was disappointing because they focused too much on online and you never felt like you were making progress in the single player because there was always so many events to tackle. The reason they done that I think was because they wanted to make sure that people playing together online always had events to chose from. I can see why this decision was made but I got bored of the game after 10 hours because I never felt the sense of progression Skate 2 gave me. If they are to make a new Skate which would be on next gen at this point, they go the SSX route with ridernet for online so that the singleplayer doesn't suffer

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
    BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Skate 4 probably wont be out anytime soon,if ever, and that's a shame. I hope it does, I loved both 1 & 2. Thanks for reminding me, I now am going to play through 1 & 2 again, but I have seem to have misplaced Skate 3. Where is it? Oh, I know where, I gave it to my 11yr old nephew, who I give all the crappy games I don't want to even look at anymore, let alone play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.