Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skullgirls

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Apr 10, 2012

Take control of fierce female warriors in a 1940s dark Deco world in this stylish indie fighting game developed by (and for) hardcore fighting game enthusiasts.

Konami removing Skullgirls from PSN & XBL

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In a sudden move from Konami, even unbeknownst to Mike Z and the rest of the Skullgirls development team themselves, Skullgirls is set to be delisted from the Playstation Network on December 17th, and from Xbox Live Arcade on December 31st.

Mike Z explains in a stream archive you can find after the jump exactly what this means for players who currently enjoy Skullgirls, and what the team is doing to make sure that the game stays alive through a different publisher.

Reportedly, the Japanese version, which was not published by Konami, is safe from being delisted, as well as the PC version which should remain on Steam with no issue.

Hit the jump for the embedded stream archive to hear what Mike Z had to say.

Mike Z begins discussing the issues at around the 7:20 mark, starting it off with a Final Fantasy 6 (awesome game) analogy to explain the problems the game is currently facing.

While this may come as a shock to most readers, it seems to have come as a shock to the developers as well. We hope that Lab Zero Games can resolve the issues currently circling around Skullgirls, and that the game will not be impacted further from these kinds of problems.

You can find the stream here

Apparently Konami is making money with Skullgirls on consoles so why are they going remove it ?

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess success is relative for crappy japanese companies. In the same way Eidos games made lots of money but were considered failures by SE because the devs werent Japanese.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Huh, that fucking sucks if it pans out.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Mike, they finally caught a break with the indiegogo campaign and now this. Doesn't sound like the end of the world for them but still baffling.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwhom: You mean success is relative based on budget, publisher investment and projected earnings? Well golly day! Those durn Japanese....

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Apparently Konami is making money with Skullgirls on consoles so why are they going remove it ?

Selling copies doesn't necessarily mean they are making money; I'm sure Konami has a reason for doing this beyond being a bunch of dicks and the only thing that makes sense is that they are losing money here.

It'll be interesting to find out whether you'll be able to download the game if you bought it previously after it's taken down; that would be a real shitstorm if that happened.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is there a cost to have the games being kept listed on the two platforms? If not, what is the benefit of having the game delisted?

Ok, after reading that gaf post they said they ceased relations with Konami and now they're getting Skullgirls delisted. So Konami is just being a dick.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Wait, wait. Why? I mean how do you lose money from offering a game on PSN/XBL? (I assume Sony/MS hosts the games)

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whaaaat lame

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wikitoups

@nictel said:

Wait, wait. Why? I mean how do you lose money from offering a game on PSN/XBL? (I assume Sony/MS hosts the games)

I know with Sony you have to pay a certain amount (cant remember what it was though).

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By AMyggen

@towersixteen: To be fair Konami has been shit for years now, but yeah, that comment was pretty ignorant.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ProfessorK

Glad I picked it up just for support but fuuuuuck this sucks.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwhom:

While it's fucked up that they considered Deus Ex a failure, it was because they didn't make the big bucks they expected. Not due to some ridiculous racial problem, and you're just coming off as ignorant here.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
    deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading up on everything about this whole thing, I can't help but initially think this is out of hubris, not a rational business decision made by Konami.

If that's the case, then yep, that would sound about right coming from them..

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By white

Is there a maintenance cost to keep the games listed?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.