Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skullgirls

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Apr 10, 2012

Take control of fierce female warriors in a 1940s dark Deco world in this stylish indie fighting game developed by (and for) hardcore fighting game enthusiasts.

You should play this game before you judge it. It's fantastic.

• 78 results
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Jaktajj

There seems to be a lot of negativity on these forums, so I thought I'd make a thread for people who don't hate life and aren't trying to win the title of 'Giant Bomb's No.1 Depressing Cynical poster'. So..... I've been looking forward to this game for a while and it's really delivered on so many levels. The online works perfectly. The characters are intricately designed and all are super interesting - All the little quirks and small touches to the animations give the whole thing a lot of heart. It's accessible as hell but feels like it has tons of depth. It's hella tough - arcade mode is a lot of fun and a pretty decent challenge. The custom team size is amazing. There aren't many games that feel like a labor of love these days. This is one of the rare times I've played a game and felt 'Yeah, this was made by people who love these kinds of games.'

There seem to have been a lot of kneejerk reactions to this game, which I guess is expected given the subject nature, but at the end of the day, it's a stellar fucking fighting game. You know what else is a good example of it's quality? The fact they weren't willing to slap in a shitty moveslist. It's an honest move. I hope this game does really well for them. I can't wait to see what they do with DLC.

Edit: By a 'shitty moveslist'. I meant a rushed or hastily thrown together moveslist. It's not meant as sarcasm. Gimme a break, I've worked 80 hours in the past week.

TehChich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TehChich

I love it. Now if only I weren't so terrible at fighting games. @ u@

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By egg

@el_tajij said:

You know what else is a good example of it's quality? The fact they weren't willing to slap in a shitty moveslist. It's an honest move. I hope this game does really well for them. I can't wait to see what they do with DLC.

What a hater! So much for the rest of your post.

Not to mention the game makers intend to add movelists later, so saying they weren't ''willing'' to is incorrect. The game even directs you to their website to get movelists, so it's not as though we weren't meant to know them.

Actually your post is intriguing because you're making the case that bad design decisions straight up is a mark of quality. Come to think of it... that would explain a lot as far people's opinions on games are concerned. I should thank you perhaps for imparting on me a great truth I could not have realized on my own.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bocam

Does it have fight stick support?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By TechHits

@Bocam: every game has fight stick support ;)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bocam
    @TechHits I meant does it has it own specific Fight stick
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TechHits

@Bocam: No, as far as I am aware there is no Skull Girls fightstick.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canteu

I would if it wasn't 1200, I just bought a street fighter game like a month ago you see.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

@TechHits said:

@Bocam: No, as far as I am aware there is no Skull Girls fightstick.

there are only 3 skullgirls fightsticks made and you can only win them by placing 1st in a tourny.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_tajij said:

There seems to be a lot of negativity on these forums, so I thought I'd make a thread for people who don't hate life and aren't trying to win the title of 'Giant Bomb's No.1 Depressing Cynical poster'. So..... I've been looking forward to this game for a while and it's really delivered on so many levels. The online works perfectly. The characters are intricately designed and all are super interesting - All the little quirks and small touches to the animations give the whole thing a lot of heart. It's accessible as hell but feels like it has tons of depth. It's hella tough - arcade mode is a lot of fun and a pretty decent challenge. The custom team size is amazing. There aren't many games that feel like a labor of love these days. This is one of the rare times I've played a game and felt 'Yeah, this was made by people who love these kinds of games.'

There seem to have been a lot of kneejerk reactions to this game, which I guess is expected given the subject nature, but at the end of the day, it's a stellar fucking fighting game. You know what else is a good example of it's quality? The fact they weren't willing to slap in a shitty moveslist. It's an honest move. I hope this game does really well for them. I can't wait to see what they do with DLC.

Online works perfectly? I'm yet to get a game without lag, and am spending 99% of the time not even being able to find games, being greeted with constant error messages.

Too tired to argue about all this again but the game has seriously disappointed me, and for you to point out something as stupid as the lack of move lists as a god damn positive makes me realise I'd be wasting my time even trying to argue with you. Yeah why put in something useful and important, why bother taking a little time to insert a much-needed core feature that will help out the casual crowd they're trying so hard to market to, when they can spend that time modelling a great cartoon rack?

I can't wait to see how DLC goes either because I had high hopes for the game and maybe they can save it down the line, but frankly I doubt it will make anywhere near as much as they're expecting/hoping, and much of the DLC plan will be quickly scrapped. Skullgirls is a weak effort, and sadly shows that competitive gamers aren't the ones who should be making games.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TechHits

@scarace360: That's cool i didn't know that.The game has such nice artwork It's a shame that they couldn't release an official (more widely available) stick.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bananaz

I played the demo for a bit, got destroyed, like, three times. Then I did some tutorials and left after not being able to finish all of them. I came back hours later and tried easy. I won all three fights. Then I did it back on normal with a sense of anticipating and trying crossups and won all three. I also figured out several moves in the process. I think I might get this.

BTW, it's not "accessible as hell." It's the opposite of accessible. You have to be an animal to win, a brutal force of carnage. I seriously recommend not making this your first fighting game, especially since you have to figure out the moves for characters yourself. That means having some knowledge of fighting games so you can try the most likely input patterns.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By artgarcrunkle

I'm glad they list the character measurements on the website. I usually decide who I'll main based on bust size so that's a lot easier.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scarace360

@TechHits said:

@scarace360: That's cool i didn't know that.The game has such nice artwork It's a shame that they couldn't release an official (more widely available) stick.

i hear the ones they made are wood and they look real cool. I want one!

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By scarace360
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TechHits

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Skullgirls is a weak effort, and sadly shows that competitive gamers aren't the ones who should be making games.

Settle down there, Skullgirls is far from a weak effort. It's an indie developed, widely released fighting game. Criticizing it for its flaws is one thing, but people poured an incredible amount of time and effort into this game. Regardless if the game is good or bad, it is absolutely not a weak effort.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

Does playing the game make the character design not creepy? I have my doubts

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nottle

Who is hating on it?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By scarace360

@Animasta said:

Game plays great thats all i can say the art is all a matter of taste.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Animasta

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

and I find it creepy as hell, so it's perfectly logical to judge before playing it (this is the point I was making)

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By dtat

@el_tajij: I agree that it is awesome. However it would have been batter for them to just put in the movelist PDF that they have on their website as a placeholder. Seriously. It's pretty crazy that they don't have one at all.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Scooper

The game plays great and the online is really smooth as far as I've played. The only bummer for me is the lack of move lists. I don't want to look online for that stuff.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

and I find it creepy as hell, so it's perfectly logical to judge before playing it (this is the point I was making)

i suggest you play it first you may come around plus game looks great running.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jaktajj

@scarace360 said:

This is one of the sticks http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/6903951066/

I think that's a competition prize for a tournament they held! =(

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@el_tajij said:

Online works perfectly? I'm yet to get a game without lag, and am spending 99% of the time not even being able to find games, being greeted with constant error messages.

Too tired to argue about all this again but the game has seriously disappointed me, and for you to point out something as stupid as the lack of move lists as a god damn positive makes me realise I'd be wasting my time even trying to argue with you. Yeah why put in something useful and important, why bother taking a little time to insert a much-needed core feature that will help out the casual crowd they're trying so hard to market to, when they can spend that time modelling a great cartoon rack?

I can't wait to see how DLC goes either because I had high hopes for the game and maybe they can save it down the line, but frankly I doubt it will make anywhere near as much as they're expecting/hoping, and much of the DLC plan will be quickly scrapped. Skullgirls is a weak effort, and sadly shows that competitive gamers aren't the ones who should be making games.

I've had no problems with online. I've played 20-30 matches online and only one has had any sorts of lag. I also have a really basic internet package.

They're a small company and they stated they weren't able to put moveslists into the game due to time. It's nice to see a developer who is honest and not trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Honestly? It's not that big of a deal, despite it sounding it in theory. In fact, I had a lot of fun just jumping into training and trying stuff out with no guide and then being amused by the results. Haven't done that in a long time.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

but that's not the point I'm making. The graphical fidelity isn't what I'm objecting to, it's the character design.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

but that's not the point I'm making. The graphical fidelity isn't what I'm objecting to, it's the character design.

Its not that bad.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By mesoian

@scarace360: It's fine. I really don't see people's aversion to any of it other than girls being scantly clad. Or double.

I'll say this much about it. The difficult for the AI is right where it needs to be, but Marie is some fucking bullshit. I hate fighting game bosses and this is one of the worst.

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Axelhander

Given the demo is free and easily accessible, I echo the "try it before you buy it" sentiment. Anytime a game lets you do exactly that, do it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

@scarace360: @Mesoian: I think it's that bad, especially the defense they used; "a women designed it so it's not sexist!" otherwise known as "some of my friends are black!" defense. I'm not going to bag on you for enjoying it or anything (I honestly would but I don't want to derail the topic further), just that it's a little too... pervy for me.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TechHits

@Animasta: lol, you really want people to know you hate the art style.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By august

Are there girls in this game?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By mesoian

@Animasta said:

@scarace360: @Mesoian: I think it's that bad, especially the defense they used; "a women designed it so it's not sexist!" otherwise known as "some of my friends are black!" defense. I'm not going to bag on you for enjoying it or anything (I honestly would but I don't want to derail the topic further), just that it's a little too... pervy for me.

I never understood that argument though. It's like all of a sudden, people are expecting women to overly dressed in order to not press some sort of sexism button. I always wondered about the kind of person who gets overly defensive when someone looks over their shoulder at their screen, as if they're ashamed at anything they may be doing.

Besides, after an hour, you barely notice the TnA, you're spending more time trying to figure out how to get in on people.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta said:

I never understood that argument though. It's like all of a sudden, people are expecting women to overly dressed in order to not press some sort of sexism button. I always wondered about the kind of person who gets overly defensive when someone looks over their shoulder at their screen, as if they're ashamed at anything they may be doing.

Besides, after an hour, you barely notice the TnA, you're spending more time trying to figure out how to get in on people.

overly dressed? I was mostly referring to how everyone is super skinny and has huge breasts except for one (though the fact that most of them are scantily clad doesn't help either). I'm not afraid of being ashamed by people looking over my shoulder (dumb argument), beyond being ashamed that gamers think this is okay. I just don't see why hoping for a game to have semi realistic proportions is somehow a bad thing.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jewunit

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

Is it the jiggle factor, the fact they look young and are mostly scantily-clad, or something more?

I tried the demo and enjoyed it. I really wanted to play as Peacock, but she was locked on the character select screen. The moves seem to consist mostly of backward and forward fireball motions with the occasional dragon punch motions. Bookmark the SRK wiki just in case.

I think the game is worth supporting given the time and effort put forth and the interesting product that resulted. I am most interested in the story mode and how it rolls out for each character.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#35  Edited By bed

i tried the demo and i loved the art style. it also played just fine but i'm not looking for another fighting game. i'm barely playing Street Fighter x Tekken to begin with. i hope everyone who decides to get into it has a good time. i'm hoping for good support from the developer it as hopefully we'll see some good dlc or maybe even a Steam release.

i would purchase it for the animation and visual style alone because i absolutely adore it, but i'll pass on this one until probably a sale. even at that, it won't be that much fun jumping in once the online is populated with people who really know what they're doing.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By OneManX

Yeah, this game needs the movelist, they share a bunch of the same motions, but you have to know what does what. But this is like every other fighting game, you need to practice and you need to get your stuff done. Button mashing will get you so far, but sooner or later, people will start to become savage and just maul people online.

If you are new to fighting games, I suggest playing with someone who plays fighting games and learning some tips there. e and my friends just do random sets and play and it has helped me to learn combos, learn what is safe/unsafe and whatnot.

As for the art style, I dig it. I hope they sell those movie poster they were showing off int he trailers. Yeah some of the women jiggle and the chars with short skirts you see panties, but after awhile, you just ignore it. Seeing that ina fighting just doesnt bother me, it didnt boher me in DOA, Mai doesnt bother me in KOF, seeing King get her clothes ripped off when she dies is cool the first time, and Cammy will always turn to the camera so you can see her butt. After awhile, yousee it so many times, you pretty much tune it out and just start paying.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By sickVisionz

@Animasta said:

I just don't see why hoping for a game to have semi realistic proportions is somehow a bad thing.

Expecting realism in an undeniably cartoony game that has never sold or advertised itself as being even remotely realistic to any degree in any aspect whatsoever seems like an unfair expectation and complaint. Maybe if this was some game spinning itself as a serious and realistic simulation of actual hand-to-hand combat I could understand that, but this is a stylized cartoon game with zombies who can fight headless and things of that nature.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta

@sickVisionz said:

@Animasta said:

I just don't see why hoping for a game to have semi realistic proportions is somehow a bad thing.

Expecting realism in an undeniably cartoony game that has never sold or advertised itself as being even remotely realistic to any degree in any aspect whatsoever seems like an unfair expectation and complaint. Maybe if this was some game spinning itself as a serious and realistic simulation of actual hand-to-hand combat I could understand that, but this is a stylized cartoon game with zombies who can fight headless and things of that nature.

so? Even Guilty Gear, which was just as ridiculous, has for the most part very sensible design (maybe later ones turn up the fanservice shit, I'm playing the one on PC or whatever) with the most unrealistic person being Potemkin.

LandGrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LandGrinch

So it's a fighting game without a movelist? Sounds accessible. In all seriousness, I'm really tired of fighting games still using the Street Fighter-esque stick rolls to trigger moves. I get that Capcom and Namco are still stuck in the arcade business and not likely to change their classic control schemes, but playing stuff like MK and Smash Bros (yeah, I know) or even God of War where my character has a large movelist that I can pull off 100% of the time without needing a big dumb stick in my living room really makes me notice the clumsy and controller-unfriendly schemes that every fighting game seems to use.

Back to the topic at hand: this game really seems aimed at people who are already in deep with fighting games. Not particularly friendly or innovative (in terms of how accessible it is; I won't comment on the other systems)

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By sickVisionz

@Animasta: Why do games have to be realistic in any way? Knocking something fictional and designed from the ground up to be fantastical because it's not realistic seems stupid to me. Also, Guilty Gear is a poor example of a game with realistic and non-sexualized females.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By OneManX

@Animasta said:

@sickVisionz said:

@Animasta said:

so? Even Guilty Gear, which was just as ridiculous, has for the most part very sensible design (maybe later ones turn up the fanservice shit, I'm playing the one on PC or whatever) with the most unrealistic person being Potemkin.

Though to be far there are like 2 overly sexual characters (Valentine and Cerebella) and they even make some reference to Cerebella in her story mode. And Valentine, sexy, psycho, nurse kinda works The other ones, aren't really that bad. One is a robot, the other is monster creature that morphs, one is a cat burgerler who can remove her head. I think they did a good job at making 8 unique characters and not relying on BOOBS~!

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By octaslash

@sickVisionz said:

@Animasta said:

You're arguing with the same person who accused Bioware of being sexist for including Female Shepard on the back of ME3's cover. Don't even bother.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Commisar123

It may not be perfect and has a lot of polish issues but I think it is one of the best fighting games in a long time

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Axelhander

@Animasta said:

That's not actually the argument used. This is what's known as a straw man, where an argument is made, you ignore it and fashion a straw man you can easily refute, and then you refute the straw man. It's the sign of someone unable to make a valid point, because if actual sound arguments could be made, the straw man wouldn't be used.

I'm also going to say, with 30% snide and 70% confidence it's the whole and complete truth, that you don't know the first thing about art. The first. Just a hunch.

@TechHits said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Skullgirls is a weak effort, and sadly shows that competitive gamers aren't the ones who should be making games.

Settle down there, Skullgirls is far from a weak effort. It's an indie developed, widely released fighting game. Criticizing it for its flaws is one thing, but people poured an incredible amount of time and effort into this game. Regardless if the game is good or bad, it is absolutely not a weak effort.

In my very limited experience with James_Giant_Peach's posts, he's a giant imbecile without the first clue what he's talking about and a real strong argument for an ignore feature. He's like 19 of the 20 most used logical fallacies all at once; seriously, read his post, both here and in the "missteps" topic. I recommend steering clear.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#45  Edited By StarvingGamer

Skullgirls is the most intelligently designed fighting game I have ever played and dramatically lowers the barrier to entry without sacrificing mechanical depth.

It's a shame about the move-list but I hope this game does well enough for Mike Z and co. to keep supporting and iterating on it.

Maurdakar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Maurdakar

I am also enjoying Skullgirls immensely even though I am not into fighting games, Skullgirls seems to be a good jumping on point.

I am tired of hearing people whine about how people think this game is the second coming, merely for liking it, bu they, that's internet.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By iWonder

This and Fez are some of my most anticipated 2012 games.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Mesoian said:

I'll say this much about it. The difficult for the AI is right where it needs to be, but Marie is some fucking bullshit. I hate fighting game bosses and this is one of the worst.

What were you having problems with? I usually feel the same as you (that fighting game bosses blow) but I didn't feel like Marie was anything special. I actually had an easier time against her then I did the other fighters after I realized I should block a lot. It could be that Cerabella is really good against her for all I know (I was on normal mode as well).
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jaktajj

@StarvingGamer said:

Skullgirls is the most intelligently designed fighting game I have ever played and dramatically lowers the barrier to entry without sacrificing mechanical depth. It's a shame about the move-list but I hope this game does well enough for Mike Z and co. to keep supporting and iterating on it.

This is exactly what I wanted to say in my original post. Couldn't agree more. It's really easy and intuitive to combo in this game.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I hope it doesn't turn to Sex Farter XXX Rolento's Boner Jab Wins Every Boring Footsie Game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.