Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

In case you want to get started

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By me3639

For all you crazy people enjoy.

No Caption Provided
    rktjmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rktjmp

You can find the book here. I wonder how up-to date it is. I guess pretty up-to date since it just came out? Not sure how much DF even changes really, probably not a lot.

I just started playing the other day and found the quickstart guide on the DF wiki to be pretty serviceable, as long as you have another screen so you can avoid alt-tabbing.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Has Dave talked about this game any place other than Twitter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@PeasantAbuse: I think he talked a bit about it during the last TNT. I don't really remember but it was some video thing and he was off camera, I think, and he was talking about how he was finding the game difficult at the time. I'll see if I can find whatever video that was.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

@me3639 said:

For all you crazy people enjoy.

No Caption Provided

Could you maybe link to that page instead of just posting a pic? Some of us might want to get our clicky clicky up on dem links.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Irvandus said:

@PeasantAbuse: I think he talked a bit about it during the last TNT. I don't really remember but it was some video thing and he was off camera, I think, and he was talking about how he was finding the game difficult at the time. I'll see if I can find whatever video that was.

Thanks. Dwarf Fortress is one of the games that I like to hear people talk about, but have no interest in playing myself. Same thing with EVE.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joru

Is it just me, or is it a bit crazy that you can purchase this as an actual printed book?

It does remind me that I should get back to trying to figure that game out, been meaning to do that for a while.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Irvandus said:

Thanks. Dwarf Fortress is one of the games that I like to hear people talk about, but have no interest in playing myself. Same thing with EVE.

yep yep, I don't have the patience to do any of the REALLY cool shit that people do in that game.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By EquitasInvictus

238 pages to get started? I dunno about this, man. At least I could get the mechanics of grand strategy games and the such almost intuitively -- this is a little too hardcore!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

This is spam, I got into it with the single page quick start guide on the wiki and had a grand time. It wasn't that bad if you're willing to take an hour or two and fiddle with it. I don't know where you found that pic but you don't need a 238 page anything to figure out DF.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By kindgineer

None of the explanations I've found really tell me what Dwarf Fortress is. Anyone that could possibly (who has played) write a short paragraph of sorts about it? Looks interesting, but maybe I'm imaging the wrong thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, finally game across a summary of the game. Doesn't seem to be my thing.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jesterroyal

@RKTJMP: Book is actually up to date as of May 2012 according to the preface. It seems like theres a sweet spot for this book though and eventually it will be SORELY outdated. But for now its grand.

@Mikemcn: I don't really agree. I like the book and it made the game way more approachable for me than the information overload that the wiki can be. (I do agree that this thread is founded on image spam though)

Also, Anybody who buys this book. There is ONE big problem with it so far early on. DON'T set your worlds to generate minerals "Everywhere". Thanks to a current bug it will crowd out "Flux Metals" in the finder screen and you will not be able to find a suitable site based on his site finder setting recommendations.

iTreefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iTreefish

@RKTJMP said:

You can find the book here.

I got it there for half off using the "buy 1 get 1 one free" off (even though I bought that book only).

I saw on the author's twitter that he was going to try to keep it pretty current with updates and that buying the ebook through O'Reilly would allow you to get the updated versions for free. Of course, that was just according to his twitter so grain of salt may be required...

I read through the book and it definitely was a big help and a pretty easy read. High recommended if you wanna play some Dwarf Fortress!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.