Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Slay the Spire

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 15, 2017

Slay the Spire is a singleplayer deck-building game with rogue-like elements.

How is this on Switch? Specifically in handheld.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

The title says it all. I would like to get this game and be able to play it mobile. I have a laptop but think I would prefer it on the switch if the text is appropriately scaled to the switch's screen. Also how well do the controls map to the buttons? Is touch screen the preferred input method? The game is currently on sale for $12 on Steam and $20 on switch. It kind of sucks that the sale pricing is not the same but I could see myself eating the $8 difference if the game was properly ported to switch.

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've only played it on the Switch so I have no straight comparison to PC or other consoles. I prefer the controllers to the touchscreen controls personally, but I play it both docked and handheld. It controls pretty well with the controllers, there's just a few hiccups that you need to get used to. Some things are untaught conveniences (i.e. toggling up to the relics to see what they do), some things are weird inconsistencies (pressing Y(?) on some screens will show you what a card upgrades to, and does nothing on other screens).

I haven't had trouble reading the text docked or undocked. The game hiccups a bit here and there when loading during battles (during enemy transitions, for example) and load times - as with most Switch ports - can feel a bit lengthy, but that performance has definitely improved since the Switch launch.

Other than that, it's a solid port! Played a ton of the game, ascended a handful of times, still hop in now and then. I'm not 100% sure if the port is up-to-date to the PC content, so if the 4th deck is a make or break for which you get, you may wanna look that up.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it on Switch, PC and Xbox Game pass and the Switch is my favorite version by a ton. Portability plus great usage of console controls means a big win. Definitely well worth it.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah I've played it on PC and then Switch. Held off on switch for a while because I wasn't sure about how the controls/performance would be. It runs great and the controls are perfect, I haven't had any issues. It got me through a rough time this holiday season when a family member was in the hospital for like two weeks, the gameplay loop is perfect for a handheld system.

I've never used the touch screen FYI but I suppose you can, the buttons work perfectly for me. Text is big enough and I believe you can make it even bigger if you want to with an update that's coming soon.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The Switch version is much better now. At launch it was a little rough (an occasional crash, pauses in the game when loading in bosses). All of those issues are basically gone. It’s a solid version of the game that works and controls well in handheld mode. I’ve played about 60 hours on Switch and PC, and Switch is probably my go to platform between suspending it and being able to play in bed or while watching TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like the switch version will work just fine for me!

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saying the touch screen is usable just blew my freakin' mind. Also, I just tried it. I don't recommend it over physical input.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.