Something went wrong. Try again later

When is Square/ United Front Games going to release Sleeping Dogs 2?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It's been four years since the original Sleeping Dogs this game deserves a sequel way more then Watch Dogs. I know they released a F2P game that failed but seriously this game needs a true sequel. I feel this series hit everything right likable characters unique open world setting Hong Kong great fighting mechanics and excellent soundtrack. I was hoping we hear something at E3 but Square has nothing on there schedule.So do you guys want a sequel as bad as I do?

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
    Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Funny you mention this. I just got done watching the Nightmare in Northpoint quick look. Time flies, man. I doubt a sequel would happen anytime soon. They kind of got lucky with it, I think... and Vinny was the sole reason they kept making DLC!

Pick up the purse.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Didn't Sleeping Dogs take ten years to make?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Sleeping Dogs take ten years to make?

It went through some development hell started in 08 first it was a True Crime game that was announced at E3 in 09 it was own by Activision Blizzard but they cancelled it. Square Enix bought the publishing rights and renamed the game Sleeping Dogs and was released in 2012 it was a bumpy road but it sure paid off in my opinion.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The last I heard they were canceling that MMO follow up to it, Triad Wars. I wouldn't expect a sequel.

IAmADwagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With how do or die Square has seemed when talking about Final Fantasy XV, it doesn't seem like they'd be in a position to back riskier projects right now. If FFXV does well, maybe that frees them up enough to look at something like Sleeping Dogs 2, but I doubt they would have anything soon.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame too because those fighting mechanics were so damn good.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They wasted time and money on a dumb MMO instead so i doubt it will ever get made, unless it switches hands like the original did.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By poisonjam7

These same thoughts went through my head as I was playing the definitive edition on PS4 last year. It's a really good game, and it's such a shame that we'll probably never see another one again.

I don't know what these developers are thinking, trying to turn their games into MMOs when they have absolutely no reason to do so. Capcom is doing the same thing with Dragon's Dogma, another excellent sleeper hit. I guess they're trying to sell in the Chinese market by catering to their tastes, which seem to be stuck in the early 2000s. MMOs don't sell like they used to in Western markets anymore, it's a damn near dead genre in terms of new IPs.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rigas

Sleepy Dogs was one of my favourites games of the past few years. I would love to see more, but I won't be optimistic ;/

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have mentioned already, they tried to make an MMO-like (Division-like?) game with the same engine and build as Sleeping Dogs where you rise to the top of the triads or something. It went into an alpha or a beta at some point and people played that, but obviously that's not the follow up to Sleeping Dogs that anybody wanted. I mean come on, a multiplayer based game as a follow up to a game where the story was the biggest selling point?

They probably lost a bunch of resources in the end so I can't see SD2 happening.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I never thought Sleeping Dogs was all that frankly, so I can't say I'm fussed whether the series continues or not. Though I did at least appreciate the idea behind an open world crime game that isn't set in some US city.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Them going on to try and make that MMO rather than a sequel is one of those bizarre development decisions you just need the full story on. What were they thinking? Surely it had to be a top executive thinking he could get into that F2P market or something.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15 chaser324  Moderator

I'm not really expecting a sequel. That weird Triad Wars thing was such a bomb that I think it'll be tough to convince a publisher another game in the franchise is a good idea.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By whitegreyblack

I totally forgot about the Triad Wars MMO thing. How the devs could miscalculate so much to where they saw their plans for this series crash and burn a second time is kinda mind-boggling.

History repeats itself, I guess.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs should stand alone as a project coming out of a decade-long fire with only first-degree burns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.