Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Anyone else suddenly very excited but this game?

• 78 results
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tallTuck94

A week or two ago I couldn't give a rats ass about this game and I probably would never have played it, espcially considering it's Duke Nukem lite story of development. How ever after the quick look of the preview build and the announcements of some incredible voice actors, I'm mainly talking about Tom Wilkinson but hey I love Emma Stone even more than Rorie so that doesn't hurt. The Gameplay looks pretty good if nothing new, I like the Batman combat and AC free running. If anything the only "bad" thing I can think of is the relatively bland open world. Of course things like story and writing are not known yet but I'm convinced.

I'm not sure if it's 2012's pretty bad line-up of games so far or what but is anyone as suddenly pumped as I am? Or am I just weird?

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mtcantor

Betting its going to be a janky fun time. Should scratch my open world itch for a few more months, if nothing else.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

It looks like an average open world game. Darksiders 2 will take all my attention away so I'll probably never play this game.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By YI_Orange

I don't know. Seems interesting, but I have a hard time making it through open world games, especially GTAs. I don't think I ever made it through one of those. It looks more fun to play than GTA though.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Strife777

I'm not going nuts about it, but in the last 2 days, I went from not going to get this game to buying it day one.

Edit: I should probably say ''not interested/not sure what it is'' instead of ''not getting it''. Also, Darksiders 2 will probably take most of my time that week.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaggE

I'm excited for it, but I'm more excited to see how many reviewers say either "Let Sleeping Dogs lie" (if they don't like it) or "Don't let Sleeping Dogs lie" (if they do like it).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ares42

Hadn't really heard about it before I saw it on the Gamespot Comic-con stream and it peaked my interest then. After seeing more it's looking decent, but I'm still gonna wait to read some reviews about it. Seems like some good fun, but also the kinda game that gets completely broken if the gameplay isn't very fun or satisfying. If it's just GTA 4: Hong Kong I'm not interested at all.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By happenstance

Not very excited but more interested than I was. Im not quite sure if it will be a launch purchase for me yet though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

Some neat ideas in there, but the execution doesn't look great. The driving didn't look great either, imo. I'll probably check it out anyway, because what else is there?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Morrow

I'm not that excited, but it's on my Amazon wishlist. I love open-world games :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I've been looking forward to it ever since I saw the Rockstar-esque gameplay run down trailer. Though ironically enough, the more I've seen of it the less excited I am to play it, mostly because of the weak animations and slightly sub-par everything. It all looks like it'll still be functional, and fun, but I'm now tempering my expectations for what is still no doubt going to be a fun game so long as I go in with the right mind set. I was admittedly swept up by how much variety is in the game, but then I was quickly reminded how ''Right, quantity in favour of overall quality''.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jewunit
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

Only if I find some time between Darksiders 2 and Borderlands 2....the rest of the year is just too busy.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot

I'm more excited for this than for GTA V. I know it's going to be janky, but i also know that it's going to be FUN!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Sooperspy

I wasn't too excited until I saw the trailer for the voice actors, then the playthrough of the mission they put out the other day. And now with the QL, I think it looks pretty damn good.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

I'm mildly interested sure. Really curious how the whole game pans out though.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grimhild

@MikeGosot said:

I'm more excited for this than for GTA V. I know it's going to be janky, but i also know that it's going to be FUN!

Really into the setting and the John Woo vibe. And I don't immediately hate the protagonist like I did with Niko.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

i just had my open world itch scratched by assassin's creed revelations and im probably gonna fill that void come september with assassin's creed 3

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PillClinton

I'm still a bit skeptical. The QL was cool, but I can't make a decision until the reviews hit, and probably wouldn't pick it up till it drops in price a bit anyway. It seems to have potential, though.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Grimhild said:

@MikeGosot said:

Really into the setting and the John Woo vibe. And I don't immediately hate the protagonist like I did with Niko.

Niko made me depressed. You could argue that's the point and bla-bla-bla, but seriously, it's not pretty fun to play as a depressing dude.
    Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grimhild

@MikeGosot:

I just didn't really like any of the main characters in GTA4. They were all douchey sterotypes. And I constantly had to take them bowling and what not. That's obviously my own view of it, but given how much weight Rockstar puts on the character writing, the GTA games really hinge on that for my entertainment. John Marston was fun, though.

Anyway, curious to see how far they take the player progression and customability in this, too.

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joey_Connell

As long as that dreadful pop-in from the QL is not in the final version i'll definitely give it a go. Nothing pulls me out of open world games more then buildings constantly appearing around me.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Grimhild said:

@MikeGosot:

I just didn't really like any of the main characters in GTA4. They were all douchey sterotypes. And I constantly had to take them bowling and what not. That's obviously my own view of it, but given how much weight Rockstar puts on the character writing, the GTA games really hinge on that for my entertainment. John Marston was fun, though.

Anyway, curious to see how far they take the player progression and customability in this, too.

What was the name of the super macho guy? Bruce? That guy sucked.
    Also, about the customization, there were some "skill trees" in the Quick Look, so i'm excited. And there's the Bruce Lee jumpsuit in this game, c'mon!
    Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grimhild

@MikeGosot said:

@Grimhild said:

@MikeGosot:

What was the name of the super macho guy? Bruce? That guy sucked. Also, about the customization, there were some "skill trees" in the Quick Look, so i'm excited. And there's the Bruce Lee jumpsuit in this game, c'mon!

Steam pre-order: confirmed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You know what really does it for me? Arkham Asylum style counterattack systems. I figured the fighting would be some awful Rockstar style fuckfest, or even Dead to Rights... But dude, that's Arkham with guns and some driving.

I already pre-ordered Darksiders 2, though. I feel I should switch, but at the same time, fucking THQ needs my help more than Square.

Then again, I would really like to see these guys make a Sleeping Dogs 2: Dogs Sleep Harder on the next generation, and buying in could really help that.

God I hope both of those games do okay. I don't want this to be the end of both of them.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

Saw way too much stuff in that QL that displeased me. I am the reverse of a lot of people and was looking forward to it a bit before. Now not so much. Maybe if there is a great PC port I might pick it up on sale for the setting/characters/dialogue which seem pretty interesting/entertaining at least. There is Mech Warrior Online coming out, then Darksiders 2 then Borderlands 2 all of which I am looking forward to far more and will take a huge chunk of my time.

@Brodehouse: Honestly thought the combat looked way worse then Arkham's. The counters had to be waited for, enemies just kept blocking and all animations were incredibly stilted and artificial, strike whiffs looked funny, the contextual stuff was not seamless at all. There was absolutely no non stop single "flow" to it unlike in Arkham games where the combat looks fucking beautiful and on certain challenges can get incredibly technical/hard and rewarding, it looked like a mess. This is not coming just from watching Ryans QL, but the developer playthroughs as well.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#27  Edited By Dimsey

Not so suddenly, I've been looking forward to it for ages. 
    I was pretty bummed when they cancelled True Crime: Hong Kong, but that they brought it back under a new name was fine by me. 
    I've seen nothing in any recent preview or footage to stifle my excitement either.  
    I know it's going to be rough in places, but it'll probably be pretty rad regardless of it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CptBedlam

No, it looks like a very mediocre open world game.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Hunter5024

That quick look got me pretty excited and I don't even know why. I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By billyhoush

Day one. I love brutal violence and open world games. I also loved the atmosphere of Shenmue and Yakuza series despite all their jankiness. I will no doubt enjoy this game.

This will give me my open world fix until AC3 in October.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tallTuck94

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brodehouse: Honestly thought the combat looked way way worse then Arkham's. The counters had to be waited for, enemies just kept blocking and all animations were incredibly stilted and artificial, strike whiffs looked funny, the contextual stuff was not seamless at all. There was absolutely no non stop single "flow" to it unlike in Arkham games where the combat looks fucking beautiful and on certain challenges can get incredibly technical/hard and rewarding, it looked like a mess. This is not coming just from watching Ryans QL, but the developer playthroughs as well.

I don't know what you saw but in the developers playthrough the combat looks pretty much spot on to Batmans combat. It flows well and it even has some of the exact same moves. Then again that was in the developers hands so...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaggE

@Brodehouse said:

Sleeping Dogs 2: Dogs Sleep Harder

Sleeping Dogs 2: Dogs Unleashed.

Sleeping Dogs 2: Sleeping Nintendogs.

Sleeping Dogs 2: Sleeping Nintendogs + Cats.

Sleeping Dogs 2: The Squeakquel.

... Sorry.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti

@tallTuck94 said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brodehouse: Honestly thought the combat looked way way worse then Arkham's. The counters had to be waited for, enemies just kept blocking and all animations were incredibly stilted and artificial, strike whiffs looked funny, the contextual stuff was not seamless at all. There was absolutely no non stop single "flow" to it unlike in Arkham games where the combat looks fucking beautiful and on certain challenges can get incredibly technical/hard and rewarding, it looked like a mess. This is not coming just from watching Ryans QL, but the developer playthroughs as well.

I don't know what you saw but in the developers playthrough the combat looks pretty much spot on to Batmans combat. It flows well and it even has some of the exact same moves. Then again that was in the developers hands so...

I can only call them how I see them, to me it looked like a poor parody at best, all animations are awkward as hell and stilted, there is no weight or punch, no physicality to a lot of blows, all i felt was polygonal models going through animations trying to mesh them together, not all animations are like that but many. (especially noticeable with blocks, misses, knife swings, that knee blow is particularly egregious in this regard) Nor did even the developers show of a seamless non stop flow from blow to blow to counter to blow, after every blow the animation stops, not flows into the neutral state naturally or flow into another, grabs were completely braking the pace and felt silly. Jerkiness throughout.

It's like some people don't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps, but others feel it acutely. To me the difference in the quality of combat looks/feels significant, having spent an unreasonable amount of time on challenges in both Arkham games.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tallTuck94

@Tennmuerti: I just think that I wont be able to tell the weight of the combat until I play it myself. Just the same as Batman, watching and playing are completely different.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Quarters

I was a big fan of the True Crime games, so I've had my eye on this one for a while. I was very happy that the QL looked fun. Definitely will have to check it out.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By kindgineer

Nah, I have always viewed the "GTA" style of games to be immature and childish. This industry has a lot of tweaks to be made if we want to be taken seriously, and getting "special" massages for buffs and killing any one we see is a walk in the opposite direction. I also do not like hyper-violence - it's distasteful. Judging from the quick-look, there is a lot of it.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ProfessorK

not gonna lie, I coulda gave a shit less about it, then I remembered it was originally True Crime and it became more of an ironic intrest. after seeing the developer play and the quicklook, I'm totally on board. looks like a Saints Row: Hong Kong to me. Definitely digging the combat depth.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti

@tallTuck94 said:

@Tennmuerti: I just think that I wont be able to tell the weight of the combat until I play it myself. Just the same as Batman, watching and playing are completely different.

To be fair I might have been a bit overly harsh on the game regarding the melee combat. It's does not seem bad per se. Just doesn't look to me like on quite the same level of quality, physicality and "tightness" as Arkham games.

But i usually also don't have a hard time judging game play mechanics by just looking without having to experience first hand, and have been almost every time spot on, at least as far as such judgements concern my own opinion of the mechanics having later played them myself. Watching and playing are rarely different for me in this regard.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hairy_Fish

I watched The Raid again recently so when I saw the combat in the quick look I was pretty excited. Now though, I'm back to reality and would guess the game will be lackluster.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Etnos

What is with you guys going from I don't care to "OMFG THIS IS DAY ONE FOR ME!". Doesn't need to be black or white you know, how hard is to wait a couple of days for reviews?

Also.. looks kinda mediocre for me.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mtcantor

I dunno. Looks neat now that I've seen more of the actual game. Then again, I kind of liked the True Crimes games too. They were underrated.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Klei

I'm interested in this. Not because it looks awesome, but mainly because we haven't got anything worth playing since May 15th and I'm slowly getting fed up of D3 and Max Payne 3. There's going to be Deadlight on Wednesday, then Darksiders 2 / Sleeping Dawgsyo on August 14th. Let us hold on a little bit longer, my brothers.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By NMC2008

Not really, I have not been excited about any game so far this year, something is wrong with me. I will probably buy it with Darksiders 2 and an order of French Fries, I wonder if Gamestop will take a pre-order for French Fries.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

The Quick Look showed a preview build that had a LOT of pop-in issues, texturing issues when you pick up speed in a vehicle, a scripting bug that we don't know whether it's in the final game or not, and the combat is just FreeFlow from Batman with some environmental touches. Beyond that, it's an average open world game that has a pretty cool-looking open world to explore. If they don't give me more incentive to dig through that open world, however, it's just another open world game.

I do like the character progression systems they showed off, and more than that, I feel like there is a level of detail to little things in the world that made the world feel lived in. That's something I can't say about a lot of other games out there.

I'll pick it up on Black Friday when it will (assuredly) be $20.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By musubi

Will wait for it to get cheap.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By probablytuna

Yet to watch the quick look. I really hope it will drum up some more excitement for me so I can convince myself to play this game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By MEATBALL

I think it looks like it could potentially be a bit of a surprise, my interest has ramped up over the last month or so. I don't think I'll be day one, but right now I'm very interested to give it a try.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Hizang

This game wasn't on my radar until the quick look, after that I'm excited.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

I find myself less interested in the game after the quicklook, because of how janky it looked. Also I'm not really into the Grand Theft Auto formula of game open world. I much prefer Saint's Row the Third style of insanity.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tallTuck94

@ck1nd: Your argument about games like this causing the game industry to not being taken seriously is kind of nonsense. You do realize Michael Bay exists right? Yet Film can be art too. Genre ares there for a reason dude. If you don't like the genre then thats a personal decision I can't knock. But don't blame it for not being art.

@Tennmuerti: Yeah I have to admit it's not to the same quality level of Batman, but I still think it looks pretty fun. Although It might come down to how much variety there is in the environmental takedowns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.