Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Can I ask everyone's opinion on Sleeping Dogs?

• 64 results
    RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It is on sale on Deals With Gold for the XB1.

I'm interested in buying it if it's a good game, so I have two quick questions.

Do you guys/gals think the game is a good game?

And...

Is the XB1 version ok? I've read some things that make that version sound like it suffers from some performance issues... Is the PS4 version better?

Ok that was three questions, technically.

Thanks in advance for any input.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

it's a VERY good game, though i've heard the hd remaster doesn't look anywhere near as good as the original did on pc

but i played it on the 360 and loved it, so i imagine this version would be a better experience than that

it's a great game tho

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

It's a really good game that had no business being so. Idk anything about the XB1 version though

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love Sleeping Dogs. Not sure about console performance but it's just a real fun game.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I played Sleeping Dogs on the PS3 and loved it.

Take 1 part GTA, throw in a few dashes of Batman's combat, and a hint of Rush Hour and you have Sleeping Dogs.

Of course...I'm simplifying it a bit there, but really enjoyed it.

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By buffaloseven

Game is fantastic. Loved it. I don't see why performance would be an issue on the new consoles.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really enjoyed the story and playing the game, really didn't enjoy the open world activities. Totally worth playing for the story. It goes places, man. I played it on the PC back when it came out and it performed very well, but I can't speak to the Xbox One version. Sorry.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Did you look through any of the topics in the Sleeping Dogs forum? There are a lot. Moved your topic there as well.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

GOTY 2012

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot of open world games on the 360/PS3 and Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorites. The melee combat is great, the entire vibe is fantastic, and I enjoyed it enough to 100 percent it. I played through it on the 360 and it performed totally fine, so I assume the X1 version will be way smoother.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fuck, Definitive Edition for Xbone is only $9.90 right now as a gold member. Definitely getting this. Don't know when I'll get to it though

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's really good but is it better than Yakuza? I don't know, have only played sleepy dawgs..

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, it's very odd how the xbone version of sleeping dogs isn't listed on deals with gold but the regular version on 360 is listed.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kasaioni

Overall it's definitely a worth while game. It shines mainly in the story, action, and characters. The fist-fighting stuff is very fun. However the world can seem lifeless at times, and there's not much to do in terms of side-stuff. And the side-stuff that is there is sort of shallow. The DLC is pretty good, with the Zodiac tournament stuff being the most enjoyable. Again, I'd say the story and characters is what this game does best. Once you've finished that, and the DLC, there's not much left that's interesting to do.

I've only played the PS3 version.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Sleeping Dogs. It really surprised me. I highly recommend it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely love Sleeping Dogs. One of my favourites of last gen. Just had a really good time whilst playing, didn't want it to end. Even bought all the DLC afterwards, which isn't something I do. Would heartily recommend.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spritual Successor of True Crime, finally done right.

A cool open world game, enjoyed it more than GTA 5

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is fantastic. Some parts of it are weirdly janky at times, or at least were on the 360, but the story is super interesting and it was one of the most fun open world games I've played in a long time. Messing around Hong Kong was super awesome, and a nice change from mostly USA cities.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fuck, Definitive Edition for Xbone is only $9.90 right now as a gold member. Definitely getting this. Don't know when I'll get to it though

At that price, it would have to be a port worse than the 360 original to not be worth a purchase. Never played the current gen version, but I loved the 360 version. Probably the best "GTA clone" I've ever played. I think I might even like it more than the Saints Row games, but that's hard to say, because they're very different games.

If the PS4 version ever hits that price, I'll buy it again just to replay it.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Really awesome game. If you like GTA style games this is more of that. I re-bought it on PS4 after 100% it on 360.

Great story, cheesy radio stations/music, best gta style open world hand to hand combat.

The only bad things are the Triad point system which was almost impossible to max out, not sure if they fixed it, and the zombie/demon dlc suck nuts. The other dlc was ok from what I've heard.

But watch the quick looks of it. Shows some of the best of Vinny.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've no idea as to how the Xbox One version performs. The game itself however is fantastic. In a way it strikes a nice balance between the over-the-top buffoonery of Saints Row and the more grounded feel of GTA games.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Replayed it again on the PC again last year for the 2nd time. It is great. The action flows better than a GTA and the story isn't horrible.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great game that didn't get the attention it deserved when it was released.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's wonderful. One of my favorite games from 2012. Like everyone else, I have no idea how the Xbox One version runs, but Digital Foundry conclusion on the remaster was that it looked fantastic at a standstill, with a greater level of detail than the game's original PC release. Yet it suffers from framerate issues during sequences of action.

Digital Foundry: "Neither PS4 nor Xbox One deliver the perfect playthrough - but if you can turn a blind eye to its performance lurches, there's still plenty to enjoy here."

Ultimately, if the Xbox One is the only way you'll be able to play Sleeping Dogs, you'll still have a lot of fun with it. And, despite some slowdown, it'll still look good along the way.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually just finished a second playthrough this past week. Amazing game. Wholly recommend.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love this game. Easily in my top 10 from the past 5 years.

I don't know much about the xbox one version, but i'm with others in saying that its a game that should be experienced, regardless of platform.

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good game; not a great one. It's a very stripped-down GTA with fun melee combat and a lot of character. Unfortunately the back half of the main storyline the game wants you to use a bunch of guns, but mostly it's ramming people's heads into air conditioners, which never gets old. The city is gorgeous but a bit empty. Story makes it worth it. Soundtrack kicks ass. Definitely pick it up.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a game that borders on very good and great for me. I bought it in a Steam sale years ago and put about 15 hours into it. I really enjoyed it, but I'm never gonna finish it. Definitely worth checking out though, especially for 10 bucks.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it more than GTA 5. I've bought the game 3 times. Once on PS3, again on PC and then the definitive edition on PC just to show my support for the game. It's truly fantastic and I really hope they get to make another one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It was the best game released that year. Definitely worth your time.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GiantLizardKing

It's the first open world game I actually finished since GTA Vice City. It made me want to go back and rediscover the genre and have since finished Saint's Row The Third and Saint's Row 4 and loved them both. It's GTA in fucking Hong Kong but with way better driving and Batman Combat before that was a worn out trope. The story was actually decent too. I really enjoyed the soundtrack as well. In fact talking about it is making me want to play it again.

It probably wins my award for best sleeper hit of the last Generation.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a lot of fun, but I think it gains a lot of favor in these parts because Vinny was so charmingly enthusiastic about it. It packs a lot of cool ideas, but definitely has the symptoms of the weird development history it had. The story gets a little weird in the back half, meandering back and forth between the goofiness of a game like Just Cause and the pseudo drama of something like Grand Theft Auto, never quite committing to either in a way that resonates.

It does have a pretty great combat system that some would probably say is derivative of the Arkham series, but I think it's actually much better than that. It's also interesting the sort of power that is given to firearms in that game because of how rare they are. Most of the game is spent punching dudes, so it really gives the impression of escalation when a bunch of assault rifles are handed out. That's something older Grand Theft Auto games were great at, but the recent releases seem content to hand you a bazooka while you're still living in your mom's house.

It looks damn good too, and not just on a technical level. The city is loaded with neon signs, small shops, towers, and lots of traffic. It's one of the better looking open world games of the previous generation (I haven't seen the XB1 version, so it might look even better).

If you're interested, it's definitely worth picking up. Don't expect to be blown away, but if you're able to get past the flaws there are a lot of neat ideas present.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good game; not a great one. It's a very stripped-down GTA with fun melee combat and a lot of character. Unfortunately the back half of the main storyline the game wants you to use a bunch of guns, but mostly it's ramming people's heads into air conditioners, which never gets old. The city is gorgeous but a bit empty. Story makes it worth it. Soundtrack kicks ass. Definitely pick it up.

Was going to say this, but now I don't have to. Agree.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It was a fantastic game when I played it, but that was before I played GTAV and before the new consoles launched. In my head its still incredible, but your mileage may vary.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Chummy8

One of the best open world games ever made. I liked it more than GTA 5, and I think it might even be on my top 10 favorite games ever.

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it twice (first 360, then PS4), and man, it sucks. It's a really bad, boring game. And it kinda pains me to say that, cause I really wanted it to be good after all the love it got from GB. But nope, just a bad game.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Loved Sleeping Dogs.

I played it on 360 and got all the achievements, then played the PS4 version and got the platinum. and had a lot of fun both times, PS4 definitely looked better too and had all the dlc integrated.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like an awesome B tier Jet Li movie I can play. The fighting is fun. The story is fun. The driving and car jacking mechanics should be in every GTA style game. A-

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

It's an OK open world game. I'm in the minority on this site. It is a competent open world game that doesn't really set itself apart. The hand to hand combat has been talked a lot about on the site, but I don't it is that great.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it more than I did GTAV for what that's worth. Good open world game that gets really fun once you get a grasp of the hand to hand fighting. Now if only we could get that proper sequel :(

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mems1224

its a game that has no business being as good and fun as it is. would never have even considered it if I hadn't seen the Quick Look. one of my favorite games from that year

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love sleeping dogs good characters great fighting mechanics,excellent radio songs, just a great game over all I'm really hoping for a sequel Hong Kong was such a refreshing location for a open world game. I'll be happy if we never have NY, or LA in a open world game again it's been done to death.

Seinenfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to like Sleeping Dogs but in my short time with it I just couldn't get into it. Everything felt a little janky and clunky in a way that put me off. The driving felt off, the combat didn't feel as tight or expansive as Batman's stuff (a big part of which is keeping your combo going), and the world didn't pull me in.

A lot of folks seem to like it a bunch though so if it's cheap and you're into open world games it's probably worth a try. It's certainly not a bad game or a waste of time, that's for sure.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The PS4 version crashes seemingly at random for me. Sometimes in the middle of a 2 hour session, or right after loading up a save.

Otherwise, still a great game.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I had a blast with the game, played it on 360 and don't remember any performance issues.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it. Played it on 360 then again on PS4. I'm probably going against the grain by saying I think the driving is really good when compared to a lot of other open world games, although I could see how a lot of people would find it a little...weightless. The melee is good fun, and it manages to throw nearly enough stuff in over the course of the game to keep it fresh and insteresting after the environmental kills get dull. I think the shooting is pretty cool too, when it happens! The story is very formulaic but it has a few pretty well drawn characters, and the voice acting is really good as well. I actually found myself getting pretty attached to some of the characters.

So I think it's worth trying out! It's honestly a real favourite of mine.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy Sleeping Dogs. Just go do it.

It's not the most original open-world game in the world, but it's an absolute blast to play. Any game where I can rip off the receiver of a public phone and give a Triad gang member a massive skull fracture is always fun.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it mediocre. The only thing it did well was the combat, which became pretty easy and repetitive.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Its a great game, no question. Tons of fun to be had in the world and within the combat. Story is alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.