Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Do you think Sleeping Dogs is better than GTA V?

• 107 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Do you think Sleeping Dogs is better than GTA V? (511 votes)

Yes, it is. 44%
    No, it isn't. 24%
    I like them both just as much as each other. 12%
    Other 3%
    (See Results) 16%

Now that GTA V has been out for a bit now, do you think that it's better than Sleeping Dogs, or does it fall short?

Personally I've only played a bit if each, my PS3 died when I was play GTA V and I just started playing Sleeping Dogs so I can't come to a definitive answer, but I can say that I'm liking Sleeping Dogs a bit more at the moment.

What about you?

• 
    Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sleeping Dogs has a better soundtrack and better combat, but I'll give GTA the nod is just about every other area.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sleeping Dogs felt fresh in a stale genre... once you got over the initial WOW factor of GTA V it felt even staler than GTA IV

GTA V a technical marvel but ultimately overhyped

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

GTA V is slightly better than Sleeping Dogs.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think there are a few things that Sleeping Dogs does better (mostly the melee combat), but overall I think GTA V is a much better game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

The combat is most definitely a lot better in Sleeping Dogs, and I also really like the idea that you can (finally) go on the offensive against the cops to get them off your tail. It's only whilst you're in a vehicle mind, after you can knock 2 or 3 of em off the road, but any opportunity for the game to give the possibility to kill enough cops that they'll temporarily leave you alone is welcome. Sleeping Dogs also lets you save your own outfits, whereas GTAV forces you to keep selecting each piece of clothing whenever you wish to return to the outfit you want; this is especially annoying in GTA Online.

Overall I think I prefer GTAV, though. While Sleeping Dog's deserves some points for being an open-world crime game that isn't set in an American city, the detail of GTAV's Los Santos completely trumps everything about Dogs' faux-Hong Kong. That, and I never found any of the Sleeping Dogs cast to be especially memorable, whereas Michael and Trevor are insta-classic GTA characters for me. GTAV takes it for the driving at that.

Story's a little trickier, since while Sleeping Dogs at least managed to keep the momentum going for a lot of it, the characters again just weren't especially interesting. GTAV's story is one of its weakest aspects as well, and while there were times when it feels like it's going absolutely nowhere, I was still engaged in the characters all the same. I'd say Sleeping Dogs paced its story better, but I still found GTAV's more entertaining.

Also, Sleeping Dogs' collectables were a lot more fun to collect, while also actually rewarded your effort.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Salty Crab > Trevor

Also, managing missions is way easier in Sleepy Dogs.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm of the opinion that Sleeping Dogs was a buggy pile of shite with good ideas implemented poorly. So, no. Sleeping Dogs is nowhere near GTA V's league.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Tom_omb

I can't give a complete answer because I haven't played GTA V. While I respect a lot of the things the GTA games do I can't say I've ever enjoyed playing a game in the series no matter how I tried.

On the other hand, the great combat and a setting I've never seen before made Sleepy Dogs super enjoyable to me.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try playing the game like a year later, it get so confusing

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Not only is Sleepy Dogs a better game, but so are Saints Row 3 and 4.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By benpicko

Not only is Sleepy Dogs a better game, but so are Saints Row 3 and 4.

whoa dere

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA5 is awesome, Sleeping dogs is awesome. Hmmmmm

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs isn't even as good as GTA IV, and that game came out in 2008. Fun, but nowhere near the polish...the world doesn't come close and the cars feel cheap and unrealistic. I think only people on the Giant Bomb forums love Sleeping Dogs, because its no where near as well made as a GTA and has little depth.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs is the best game of 2013. Someone around here said GTAV is the best game of the year, over Last of Us. That's crazy talk.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping dogs is good, but yeah....not that good.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Not in your wildest dreams ever. Jeez.

Sleeping Dogs is a fine game, don't get me wrong - but no aspect of it did impress me.

GTA V is like the crowning jewel of the entire industry. So no. No way.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas

I kept asking myself that question while playing GTA. Obvoiusly GTAV's world is far more impressive. But when it comes down to the mechanics... Sleeping Dogs is just way more fun to play. The driving, hijacking, shooting, hand to hand combat.... so much more variety and so much more fun.

I would say they are equal. Both have their ups and downs.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no, Sleeping Dogs sucked.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov

Sleeping dogs is a better game in so far as the combat mechanics and honestly the driving felt better to me. I also sort of like the "feel" of the game world a little better too, it is just more interesting than Los Santos to me. That said as an overall package GTA V is the better game. It has a more stand out cast, there were cool characters in Dogs but GTA has a ton of interesting chaps. The world has far more to do and less repetitive activities with more modes of travel etc etc. Story wise I think they are about on par with each other. Basically a large portion of the Doggy gameplay is a little more fun, but the missions and ass ton of content of V clearly wins. I don't feel like one is decidedly better than the other, I would play them for different reasons and I think both are great games.

It is a question of what type of game you are looking to play.

Actually thinking about it there are 4 key open world style games at this point that I think all win on their respective levels.

If you want a huge diverse world with crap ton of stuff to do that is detailed out to the tiniest degree play GTA V. If you want something crazy over the top that let's you just go all out and have a blast doing whatever it is you want to do play Saint's Row 3 or maybe 4. Looking for fresh gameplay that is better done than others with some pretty cool dlc and a sort of different take go for Sleeping Dogs. If you want what I still feel is the best open world game to date (short of ability to do completely loony stuff) with a very well put together and exceptional story well.... go play Red Dead Redemption.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@jdh5153 said:

Hell no, Sleeping Dogs sucked.

i no rite?? fucking racist as shit

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By mrfluke

combat wise, yea sleeping dogs is better

everything else though id give to gta 5.

but the story is so subjective to tastes though, as its 2 different tales.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love Sleeping Dogs. But no way in hell is it better than GTA V.

Avatar image for jediknight00719
    jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By jediknight00719

This comparison is tough for me. I felt Sleeping Dogs was the Game of the year of last year. Game was soo damn fun to play. lets run down the line

Gameplay:

Combat i feel SD was better. The batman style melee worked and both gun combats were comparable with SD getting a more of a nod cause of the slow down you get when jumping over cover which made the combat look cool. Even slowing down when shooting in the car and you can hijack cars while you were in another car!

But the type of missions you had were better in GTA, the heist missions were top notch and being able to fly a plane is awesome.

Verdict: Sleeping Dogs/GTAV

Graphics:

SD Hong Kong looks absolutely amazing at night with a great PC card. But GTAV is a technical marvel. I grew up in LA so when i saw certain details of LA in the game that was just amazing.

Verdict: GTAV

Story:

SD story is engaging but pretty typical. GTAV story is way more interesting especially with the fact of having 3 characters.

Verdict: GTAV

Music:

I'm a hip hop head so the music is a real toss up for me. GTAV had good music but it was pretty typical. You got your old school west coast music with expected dre, snoop, ice, too short songs all great. The new hip hop station is great cause they have big boy from the real LA hip hop station dj. FlyLo was cool but i really enjoyed non-stop pop, lot of great songs on that station.

But open world games are usually where i like to find out about new songs and holy crap does SD have new songs which are awesome, the ninja tune, warp and Daptones radio stations all have amazing music.

Verdict: Sleeping Dogs

One thing Sleeping dogs did was fix small issues that moved the genre forward. It took the Saints row on road GPS and the toggle different missions by pressing the left stick. Those were absolutely amazing features. When GTA didn't have these i was annoyed a lot. I kept looking at that small map to see if i was going in the right direction. I would open up the menu every time. I was soo surprised GTA didn't pull these features in. I guess they don't want to acknowledge a good idea from another company unless it was theirs.

So yea both have their ups and downs. I personally like SD more than GTA but both have their own style of play and i enjoy them both.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Sleeping dogs is a great stab at the open world genre but GTA V in my opinion is the new standard and the bar for games of that nature along with one of the outright best games of this generation.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I did enjoy Sleeping Dogs more just because it wasn't so long winded. Did GTA V really need to be like forty fucking hours long?

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gta is just completely boring to me. 4 was ok at the time and i enjoyed it. 5 is the first entry i dont care to own. i haven't really liked any of gta's characters...sort of ever and theres nothing i see in any videos or reviews that makes me want to play 5. i dont care about playing as three people. i dont give a crap whats on the radio. can i please go crazy and turn cops off for once? if gta is the new standard and bar, i vote for a new fucking bar.

sleeping dogs was just plain enjoyable. its a great balance between the hard realism or GTA and the just ridiculousness of Saints Row. They pull it off really well. fantastic voice work and combat. not to mention is gorgeous on PC. loved the characters and the just plain silly dlc. i cant wait to see what the next installment is like.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Yes, in almost every way. Story, setting, controls, combat. You name it, Sleeping Dogs did it better.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Sleepy Dawgs has the amazing arkham combat system, a pretty unique (and very well done) setting, and a surprisingly good story with far more (as in, amount of) interesting characters than GTAV provides - but, GTA's world and the 3-character switching is damn mindblowing and Trevor is a masterclass character.

It's close I think.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I wish I was in a position to say, but unfortunately I haven't played enough of either to have an informed response. I will say however that I liked Sleeping Dogs aesthetic and atmosphere more than GTA V's.

Roxasthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs is way better than GTA V. Sleeping Dogs was fresh in the over saturated open world crime genre. The combat and driving were unique and fun to play. The story was solid all the way through and, while it was predictable, it was incredibly satisfying to follow all the way through. GTA's story is incredibly sporadic and follows no real cohesive narrative. While it is cool to play as three characters, their motivations and missions often time make no sense other than "hey this would work out really well if this character was here". Does GTA V have more things to do? Yes. Did I want to do any of the things in that world? No. In Sleeping Dogs I wanted to do everything; the races, the martial arts clubs, every side mission. GTA V is technically more impressive, and the world certainly feels more alive. That being said compare the budgets of the two games and it will become very clear why that is.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By beepmachine

I think Sleeping Dogs is better than GTA IV, GTA V, and Saints Row The Third.

GTA V is great, but it's just more of the same ultimately. It looks prettier and there's more "stuff to do" but the story really started to fall flat with me about half way through and I just wanted it to end. Sleeping Dogs was the perfect mix of beautiful to look at, fun to play, and compelling.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By golguin

Sleeping Dogs has better combat and better environment traversal. I also really enjoyed the story and the setting for the game. It's a tighter package and you can do everything in the game (all achievement) in under 30 hours.

GTAV is a much larger game packed with stuff so the good is diluted across more time, but it's still enjoyable.

My ideal game would be to merge Sleeping Dogs and GTAV.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By pr1mus

Comparing a game that does a few things really well to a game that does about 10 times more things fairly well.

GTA V is one of the rare occasions i'll go with quantity over quality. Mostly because it is the most accomplished GTA game in terms of mechanics and every aspects of its gameplay are serviceable enough to be enjoyable on their own. This makes for a game that takes a hell of a lot longer before becoming stale and boring.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played GTAV, but yes.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs way more than GTA V.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I haven't played GTA V and have no desire to, while Sleeping Dogs was my 2012 GOTY. I've never liked Rockstar's storytelling or characters, and the pure mechanics of playing GTA IV were so unfun that I didn't even finish the game. Nothing I've seen from GTA V has made me rethink that stance even a little.

I was completely enamored by the aesthetic, locale, characters, storyline, gameplay, and even the collectables in Sleeping Dogs. I guess that ultimately makes me unqualified to vote in this poll, but I did anyway. You aren't the boss of me.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Better melee combat? Yes

Everything else? No

Still a solid game but let's not get crazy here

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA had a better story and the missions are nice and varied. But I think having that big of a world is more of a detriment. Sleeping Dogs's city is perfectly sized for an open world game. I want GTA5 in Sleeping Dog's city.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Syed117

Gta V has terrible combat. It's 2013. Lock on targeting is a joke.

There is no excuse for not having perfect third person shooting mechanics. GTA V has horrendous free aim.

Sleeping dogs doesn't have anywhere near the polish of GTA V, but I had a lot more fun actually playing the game. It's more than the sum of its parts. GTA V is less. Both the melee and gun combat are worlds better in sleeping dogs. The gps and quick access to missions are also much better in sleeping dogs.

People who think every gta is perfection in video game form don't know good game design from bad.

Gta4 was a mess in terms of playability. Gta v is better but still mediocre.

However in terms of open worlds, nothing comes close to gta v. It's absolutely incredible.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

I base this on playing Sleeping Dogs and not Grand Theft Auto.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

sleeping dogs is better because there's a PC version :P

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By csl316

I had way more fun watching Vinny play Sleeping Dogs, so that.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I enjoyed both a ton. Sleeping Dogs had great combat. I give the edge to GTAV in terms of scope and execution though.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By hockeymask27

Better game? No.

Did I like it more.... I think yes infact the whole time I was playing GTA I wanted to use wei shen and the combat and put dudes in trunks. I 'm also a sucker for kung fu action movies.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs start to finish. I couldn't force myself to play through Grand Theft Auto V.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By korolev

I enjoyed both very much, but I have to say that I enjoyed GTA V a bit more.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hooked to both. GTA 5 broke its own mold and delivered something different. While Sleeping Dogs broke the same mold before it.

What faults are in Sleeping dogs I expect to be fixed and refined in the next Sleeping Dogs. It wont be a technical marvel like GTA 5 however Sleeping dogs showed us an open world can be open and have a great story and mission, unlike GTA 4 and Mafia 2.

GTA 5 is a love it or hate game. I enjoyed GTA 4 while it was cool to hate....untill I replay that game in my mind and go "oh yeah...the story never knew what to do. I am Niko I dont wanna kill anymore!" murders a whole gang and cracks a joke as part of the story.

GTA 5 just took leaps and bounds on its story it was great from mission 4 to mission 69. What the first few missions sucked.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Without playing GTA5 I will say yes. Sleepy Dawgz was my 2013 GotY.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Sorry the moment I saw this thread I had to put on a special little song so I think my opinion might be somewhat biased.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only three or four hours into GTAV, but unless it falls off hard, no way. Despite some fun mechanics and great fighting, I had a tough time getting into Schleepy Dawgs. I much prefer to just watch Vinny play it. Everything I've seen in GTAV so far has been pure joy. The city, the writing, the characters, the driving, the tiny details that have no reason to be there but are there anyway because Rockstar...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.