Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Has anybody else played this at PAX yet?

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By luchadeer797

Yesterday when I was at PAX I found myself bored as I waited for my friends to push through the Borderlands 2 line and noticed the Sleeping Dogs kiosk right across from the 2k area. So far I've been pretty cautiously excited for the game, especially with all the changing of publishers and the like, but thats changed now that I've played it.

Hot damn is this game just fun. The story seems like it could have its own interesting merits, yet it could always just devolve into some generic Hong Kong action flick style game, but that doesn't matter really. The gameplay is just sheer fun, playing like a joyous combination of Mirror's Edge, Saints Row, and Batman Arkham City. You can transition seamlessly from free running and mantling objects around the city to a free-flow combat style system full of brutal, stylistic flair. The shooting seemed fine and the driving suitably drifty and arcade-y, but it was just how the few gameplay systems meld together and transition into each other that made it so awesome. Definitely a must buy for me now. How have the rest of you liked it?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Mirror's Edge & Batman you say? With elements of GTA. C'mon now, buddy. I don't have time to be horny.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Sooperspy

So this is what True Crime: Hong Kong became. Looks really cool from that trailer about the vehicles and the way you're talking about it makes it sound like the best game ever. Kinda stoked for this game now.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By jacdg

Just watched this

Holy cow, if nothing else it looks really cool, stupid action fun, love the traversal and the occasional slowing down time whilst shooting, seems very cool.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Morrow

@twstdsniper:

Are there any RPG elements like earning experience to level up your character or at least boost his abilities?

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By luchadeer797

@Morrow: I didn't notice any RPG elements in terms of getting to level up your character and spec him out towards some build, though I did notice someone run up to a vending machine and get a soda that gave them some kind of boost, so it seems as though there will be temporary stat increases you can find but no true leveling mechanics.

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kuz101

I played it too. The driving seemed arcadey and fine. The traversal and parkour could be a bit wonky at times and the shooting itself is fine. The fighting system they have touted was fun from what I played. Plenty of environmental finishers. Everything seemed perfectly serviceable, but I don't think the game is the sheer fun you described it as. The best part for me was the setting. There never has been an open-world game set in a city like Hong Kong. The story was intriguing too. One of the missions started of with some pretty brutal and graphic torture. Also, I had a lot of slowdown while playing, but they have time to improve that. Just thought I would add my opinion to this thread.

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By luchadeer797

@kuz101: Yea I forgot about that bit haha, the slowdown was pretty bad at times, hopefully they'll fix that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Good to know that it looks like it's on the right track.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Morrow

@twstdsniper said:

@Morrow: I didn't notice any RPG elements in terms of getting to level up your character and spec him out towards some build, though I did notice someone run up to a vending machine and get a soda that gave them some kind of boost, so it seems as though there will be temporary stat increases you can find but no true leveling mechanics.

I see... too bad. I thought it might be similar to Yakuza... thanks for the info ^^

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@JacDG said:

Just watched this

Holy cow, if nothing else it looks really cool, stupid action fun, love the traversal and the occasional slowing down time whilst shooting, seems very cool.

Holy shit, if it controls well that looks like it will be a ton of fun.

Officially hyped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.