Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

How does dating the girlfriends work?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By spiceninja

I've done 1 date each for the 3 of them. One of them found out and dumped me and I haven't been able to call any of them since then. I thought it may have been because I needed to be further in the game but I'm pretty deep in and still can't call any of them. Can you do any other missions for them or are there just 1 each?

Molenator85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Molenator85

Man, I thought this was a much different question until I saw it was under Sleeping Dogs. As for what you're actually asking, no idea, just started the game last night.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By theguy

Dammit I thought this was going to be a great thread. I was so excited.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

You've come to the right... err... wait... never mind.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

it's just one date for each of them. they really only exist to put the collectibles on the map

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BigBoss1911

Epic potential in this thread.

EDIT: Nevermind.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spiceninja

@AjayRaz said:

it's just one date for each of them. they really only exist to put the collectibles on the map

Well that's disappointing. Are there only 3 girls to date in the game then? If so then what's the point in one of the finding out and dumping you?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

@AjayRaz said:

Well that's disappointing. Are there only 3 girls to date in the game then? If so then what's the point in one of the finding out and dumping you?

To give the illusion there is more to it. This aspect of the game is my one issue with it. I was hoping for multiple mission with them. Sadly, it is just an excuse for collectibles as said. It is just handled so poorly.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@theguy said:

Dammit I thought this was going to be a great thread. I was so excited.

We're all disappointed.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

I ask myself this question everyday.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spiceninja

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

@AjayRaz said:

To give the illusion there is more to it. This aspect of the game is my one issue with it. I was hoping for multiple mission with them. Sadly, it is just an excuse for collectibles as said. It is just handled so poorly.

I guess I don't feel so bad about shooting the girl who dumped me in the head then.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

I'm pretty sure the game glitched on me and I was only able to go on a single date with Emma Stone and was pretty bummed.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Molenator85 said:

Man, I thought this was a much different question until I saw it was under Sleeping Dogs.

Same, I read it in Borats voice

SimplyCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SimplyCheese

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

I ask myself this question everyday.

We all do, sir. We all do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

@PlasmaBeam44: You go on 1-2 dates with each one and they unlock or tutorialize certain aspects of the game for you. They are really there to progress game mechanics rather than be an actual part of the side-game. Every date is naturally occurring in the main storyline, apart maybe from the Russian girl which I think you have to seek out yourself, or maybe the female cop gives you a lead on her. Once they disappear from your phone thats it, you're done with that girl.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ghostiet

@Humanity said:

Every date is naturally occurring in the main storyline, apart maybe from the Russian girl which I think you have to seek out yourself

Not really. She is directly tied into the last Police case and you don't date the female cop - you date Tiffany, Vivienne's friend and she unlocks the last batch of races.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By moffattron9000

@Redbullet685 said:

I'm pretty sure the game glitched on me and I was only able to go on a single date with Emma Stone and was pretty bummed.

A single date with Emma Stone still sounds pretty good.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy

@moffattron9000 said:

@Redbullet685 said:

A single date with Emma Stone still sounds pretty good.

Yeah I guess you're right. I take back what I said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I had no idea what in the fuck you were asking until I saw it in the Sleeping Dogs forum.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Humanity

@Ghostiet: I just wasn't sure if the cop stuff on the side is optional or if you have to progress it at some point in order to continue the main storyline - as far as I remember those cases and your own case don't criss-cross at any point.

berciulka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By berciulka

Are you talking about a Sim's: Hot Date challenge? :)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm

They don't. They're just regular missions. Do them one after another. Boom, boom, boom.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By beepmachine

I love when you don't read the forum section of a thread and read it like someone asking a question about life.

Anyway the dating is sort of the only thing in the game that feels half assed. I would have preferred them just having one date-able character who actually is part of the story.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So essentially, there's no consequence for dating multiple women?

Was surprised when the first time I called Amanda had their relationship escalate so quickly. Disappointed to hear that that aspect of the game isn't well done.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By veektarius

@FluxWaveZ: The only consequence in the game of not dating multiple women is that you don't get a bunch of missions that result from dating them. It's not like Emma Stone will stay on your phone if you hold a torch for her.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The scene where you confront the karaoke hostess for seeing some other dude was so stalkerish and awesome. Wei Shen is so full of shit. Made no sense but I loved it. Laughed my ass off.

@FluxWaveZ said:

So essentially, there's no consequence for dating multiple women?

Was surprised when the first time I called Amanda had their relationship escalate so quickly. Disappointed to hear that that aspect of the game isn't well done.

When people say it's half assed they are so right. It feels like they didn't have the time to finish it remotely and they just left it all in the game. All the relationships end super abruptly (when they seem to be going really well) and then the hostess one becomes serious out of seemingly nowhere to the point where Wei feels the need to blow up on her for seeing another dude. Like I say above, it's super clingy and stalkerish. It's kind of all dumb that it's in the game but the payoff for the hostess was worth it to me. Just so unintentionally funny.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wjb

I love that game, but certain aspects about the story left me hanging, like the "girlfriends", if you can call them that. I was so used to how other games handled dating/girlfriends, it took me halfway through the game to realize how Sleeping Dogs did it. I assumed, "Emma Stone's a big name, so she's probably my potential girlfriend for the whole game and there will be all this drama when she realizes I'm involved with the Triad but really an undercover cop...wait, I'm dating the ditzy hostess from the club now and I'm super jealous that she's with some guy even though I never went on a date with her because I'm into the cool electronic store girl? What the fuck just happened?"

I disagree with Vinny, Sleeping Dogs is a cool game, but the story had potential but didn't go to the places it should've gone.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Humanity

@ArtisanBreads: I don't know if it's half-assed. In a way I'm happy that they didn't force you to go on 10 dates or more with each girl to raise some invisible meter. Although I did enjoy some of the missions where you got to know your own character a little better through interaction with the girls.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Humanity said:

@ArtisanBreads: I don't know if it's half-assed. In a way I'm happy that they didn't force you to go on 10 dates or more with each girl to raise some invisible meter. Although I did enjoy some of the missions where you got to know your own character a little better through interaction with the girls.

To me it was clearly half assed and cut down. If there were not missions cut out of the hostess dating then I guess Wei is a totally psycho clinger. And he gets in a relationship with a girl and just completely cuts off contact with them for the rest.

As a few others have suggested, it should have just had one or two romances and had more depth to them.

The only one that felt whole to me was the rich girl near the end but that was because that's totally the type of girl that would like to drive around in a fancy car with you and then bang and that's that.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wjb

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Humanity said:

To me it was clearly half assed and cut down. If there were not missions cut out of the hostess dating then I guess Wei is a totally psycho clinger. And he gets in a relationship with a girl and just completely cuts off contact with them for the rest.

As a few others have suggested, it should have just had one or two romances and had more depth to them.

The only one that felt whole to me was the rich girl near the end but that was because that's totally the type of girl that would like to drive around in a fancy car with you and then bang and that's that.

I agree with on how they didn't force you to take girls on pointless, non-mission dates to earn whatever "upgrades" the game had like they used to in titles like San Andreas or whatever, but it would've been nice if they cut down on the "power fantasy, fuck-everything-that-moves" and focus on the few girls who seemed interesting and incorporate them into the main story.

The dissonance wasn't as bad as it was in GTAIV with Niko, but Wei is supposed to be this classy guy and suddenly he's stalking some woman and cornering her even though he's moved on to someone else. Actually, there were a few instances where Wei did something uncharacteristic, but I suppose it was in order to keep his cover.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@wjb said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Humanity said:

I agree with on how they didn't force you to take girls on pointless, non-mission dates to earn whatever "upgrades" the game had like they used to in titles like San Andreas or whatever, but it would've been nice if they cut down on the "power fantasy, fuck-everything-that-moves" and focus on the few girls who seemed interesting and incorporate them into the main story.

The dissonance wasn't as bad as it was in GTAIV with Niko, but Wei is supposed to be this classy guy and suddenly he's stalking some woman and cornering her even though he's moved on to someone else. Actually, there were a few instances where Wei did something uncharacteristic, but I suppose it was in order to keep his cover.

I'm with you guys on thinking dating in the GTA games sucks, trust me.

As I said, just cutting it down to one or two girls and having it be fleshed out would have been just fine.

The thing is the hostess blow up could have been fine if it was earned. It really isn't ultimately uncharacteristic. Wei is a total hot head and he gets overemotional. But you don't even go on a date with the girl before you go on all the stalker missions so it seems so bizarre and unearned. Or Wei is literally insane.

If the dating options in the game were just the initial white girl (can't remember her name) and the hostess and they were more fleshed out with their own "missions" of sorts, it would have been much better. You could have developed the hostess relationship and if you were seeing the other girl that moment actually would have been really fucking cool. As is it's just dumb.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By huser

@Molenator85 said:

Man, I thought this was a much different question until I saw it was under Sleeping Dogs. As for what you're actually asking, no idea, just started the game last night.

Seriously. There's a finer, better world out there that we apparently don't deserve, where this question was SO much more interesting.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@huser said:

@Molenator85 said:

Seriously. There's a finer, better world out there that we apparently don't deserve, where this question was SO much more interesting.

Tell me how to sleep with all the girlfriends.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Humanity

@ArtisanBreads said:

@wjb said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Humanity said:

I'm with you guys on thinking dating in the GTA games sucks, trust me.

As I said, just cutting it down to one or two girls and having it be fleshed out would have been just fine.

The thing is the hostess blow up could have been fine if it was earned. It really isn't ultimately uncharacteristic. Wei is a total hot head and he gets overemotional. But you don't even go on a date with the girl before you go on all the stalker missions so it seems so bizarre and unearned. Or Wei is literally insane.

If the dating options in the game were just the initial white girl (can't remember her name) and the hostess and they were more fleshed out with their own "missions" of sorts, it would have been much better. You could have developed the hostess relationship and if you were seeing the other girl that moment actually would have been really fucking cool. As is it's just dumb.

I just assume they put in these "dates" in lieu of dry tutorials. Each girl introduces you to something new, even if you may have already did that through open world exploration. Amanda, the white girl, introduces you to the dojo, Ping to cameras, the hostess to karaoke I think and, laughably, the Russian girl has a free running segment in case you didn't know that existed in the game yet. I would have liked to spend some more time with each girl or at least have some sort of tiny txt message concluding each relationship - like for instance Amanda sending you a txt that she's going back to the states. At the same time oh well - I don't care how in character any of it was for Wei because the moment a mission was over I was riding by the sidewalk mowing people down with my doors so yah.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ajamafalous

I just always assumed there were meetings between them that weren't shown to the player (i.e. they went on more than just one date).

But yeah, totally agree, they should've been way more developed than they were. One of my few criticisms toward the game.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mercutio123

I am sorely dissapointed in this

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Humanity said:

I just assume they put in these "dates" in lieu of dry tutorials. Each girl introduces you to something new, even if you may have already did that through open world exploration. Amanda, the white girl, introduces you to the dojo, Ping to cameras, the hostess to karaoke I think and, laughably, the Russian girl has a free running segment in case you didn't know that existed in the game yet. I would have liked to spend some more time with each girl or at least have some sort of tiny txt message concluding each relationship - like for instance Amanda sending you a txt that she's going back to the states. At the same time oh well - I don't care how in character any of it was for Wei because the moment a mission was over I was riding by the sidewalk mowing people down with my doors so yah.

To me, what you're saying about them as tutorials is just how Sleeping Dogs was well designed to have so many things feed back into its gameplay. Like how the collectables gave you health or new moves. That kind of thing.

But yeah. I thought it was silly but the game was still good. I think if they make a sequel they can improve there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.