Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

I got a real Bully vibe from this game.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By serpentenema

Since I got a job, one of the first purchases I made was Sleeping Dogs. I have wanted to get it for a while now, and at the price of 34 bucks I pounced on it. This seemed less like grand theft auto and saints row like many people have pitched it. The one sandbox game that I could compare it to was Bully. Like the worlds in both games weren't huge, but I thought they were really dense in detail and personality, and I also got the same enjoyment from the combat via tackling dudes, throwing them downstairs, and less reliance on weapons. What do you dudes think?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cannonballbam

@Serpentenema:

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DharmaBum
    serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By serpentenema

@DharmaBum: That explains a lot. I am surprised I haven't heard bully come up whenever people talk about sleeping dogs.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By notdavid

So Sleeping Dogs is a Hong Kong themed follow up to Bully? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! Who do I throw my money at?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Nothing can beat a Bully 2, no matter if something has a vibe or is a spiritual successor.

In fact none of my favorite Rockstar games have had a sequel. The Warriors, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver (I don't count Redemption as a sequel, just a western game that shared the name)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Same lead designer as Bully? I suddenly feel much better about my purchase of the game (haven't played it yet). Indeed, it is strange that I've not heard mention of this until now.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By serpentenema

@SomeDeliCook: I loved The Warriors, I played co-op campaign with my brother all the time in that game. Like even if nothing can beat a bully 2, it is the closest thing we will get for a while, and I really reccomend picking it up.

@FluxWaveZ: And you will notice now how the leg sweep and the grabs looks like it is straight from bully.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ksaw

Definitely with the combat yeah. I realized when I was tackling everybody I wanted to fight that the fighting system was very similar. The new moves are introduced in a similar way too, with you fetching items for a character and them showing you new moves in return.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By serpentenema

@Ksaw: Replace the hobo parts with jade statues

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By ki11tank

its an awesome game, could buy it for $18 on pc via amazon and put it on your steam games just this weekend, might still be going.... google it or look in sleeping dogs forum.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

Wow. I actually played every game listed on his profile, except for Sleeping Dogs. If I would have remembered that Sleeping Dogs and Bully were by the same lead designer while it was on the weekend Steam sale, I would have bought it up in a heartbeat at $25 USD. Instead I rationalized it as a Holiday Sale item, and now I feel bad.

edit: Looks like it's still $25 on Amazon and is Steamworks activated. Thanks again Amazon for riding Steam's coat tails and offering sales past the time that they give up. This is my drunk impulse buy for the next couple months.

edit2: fuck you tax

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

@notdavid said:

So Sleeping Dogs is a Hong Kong themed follow up to Bully? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! Who do I throw my money at?

seriously.

Bully remains the best game Rockstar's ever done IMO

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By planetary

Reading this on my tablet and thought the thread was about BUFFY, as in the vampire slayer. God dammit. I'm out.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By koolaid

Really? I thought Bully was one of the greatest games to ever fly under my radar! Now I must play sleeping dogs!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @planetary said:

Reading this on my tablet and thought the thread was about BUFFY, as in the vampire slayer. God dammit. I'm out.

To be honest, so did I. And only because I had to do a double-take, Mike Skupa sold one more game tonight. Call me a Skupa trooper. Who else is going Skupa diving? I hope it's not a pooper, Skupa.

I'll see myself out.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

@DharmaBum said:

Same lead designer as Bully.

This guy I believe: http://www.giantbomb.com/mike-skupa/72-74043/

Wait, what? I thought this would've been more...Advertised. Well, even happier with my purchase of Sleeping Dogs now!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By spankingaddict

Dang it ! Now I have to give this game a try . I was gonna pass on it , but man I love Bully :P

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Alexandru

I don't.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By serpentenema

@MrKlorox said:

@planetary said:

To be honest, so did I. And only because I had to do a double-take, Mike Skupa sold one more game tonight. Call me a Skupa trooper. Who else is going Skupa diving? I hope it's not a pooper, Skupa. I'll see myself out.

If you played through the hulk, then anything will be better. Also the running/chase sequence obviously were inspired and taken from Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cannonballbam

I just picked up the Scholarship Edition on steam after listening to Patrick talk about it during this weeks bombcast.

I have to agree completely, there are quite a few similarities:

• @Serpentenema: I concur. The radio parts have the same reward as the Jade statues.
    • @Ksaw: I agree as well, the combat is very similar using a circle HUD for enemy data also using the same lock on and toggle feature.
    • There are lockers through out the game that even have a mini-game similar to the lock boxes.

I thought it was funny that the original name was "CanisCanem Edit" which translates from latin to english as "Dog Eat Dog".

I am just sad that no one is asking Jimmy if he wants a pork bun.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By djou

I'm disappointed that this is flying under a lot of people's radar, the game is surprisingly good. The main story has a lot of emotion and well portrayed characterization for the typical police mole infiltrating organized crime story. The side quest have a lot of the open-world fetch quest silliness but I've played the game for 25+ hours and I'm still having fun driving around and tackling folks.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By serpentenema

@cannonballBAM: You aren't a man till you eat a pork bun. Jimmy is clearly no man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.