Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Who says the choices for Games With Gold are rubbish?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sleeping Dogs was on PS+ like 7 or 8 months ago

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's also been less than £5 on Steam several times. Great game, but this doesn't prove much for Microsofts service.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sleeping Dogs is <3 I got the base game and all the DLC for 19.99 in the Steam Sale this week.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad that now everyone has a chance to play Sleeping Dogs. I enjoyed it like crazy on Ps+ this summer.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs is a great get. Guardian of Light was fun but...cmon MS. Step it up.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Both games are really great ! Sleeping Dogs is just a fantastic open world game and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is one of my favorite downloadable games (back when we use to call them downloadable games). Better late than never I guess...

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GreggD

@fredchuckdave said:

It's also been less than £5 on Steam several times. Great game, but this doesn't prove much for Microsofts service.

Uh-huh. Now how does it make it a rubbish choice?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

Cool, I have always wanted to try sleeping dogs, guess I'll have to boot up the Xbox 360.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS+ was pretty shit the first year or two of it's existance.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

this is fantastic, im not bitching about this month. They got it right for once. I want Sleeping Dogs again I bought the dlc then my son sold his copy.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PS+ for January is getting DMC and Bioshock Infinite. MS needs to step their "free games" game!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Deranged

Sleeping Dogs is absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed it far more than I have either GTA IV or V.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games with Gold is still rubbish. The games this month are better but we'll have to see if this trend continues in the coming months. I think the only games I've downloaded have been Fable 3 and Dead Rising 2.

PS Plus is getting DmC, Infinite, and Brothers in Jan though...

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: Worst part about Sleeping Dogs is that it has 26 pieces of DLC that brings the price waaaay up. I'll download it but I won't buy any of the DLC since I was lucky enough to get it all on Steam for about $12. This game is a great game, but when the publisher sells there dlc like this and the game bombs, it just might be there own fault.

With that said everyone that hasn't played it yet should download it and play the game for the non dlc experience. I enjoyed the game not the way they sell it. And if your a GTA/Saints Row fan being in a foreign country as Hong Kong is a fun experience in its self.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

It may be good for xbox owners who hasn't play it yet, and have no time to complain on the internet.

why making bad of something good?

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get it for sure. GWG isn't nearly as good as PS+ in terms of recent titles being available, but I'd have Gold anyway, so it's cool to get 2 free games a month.

I agree though, the selection generally sucks and/or is stupid.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone with a playstation!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

It may be good for xbox owners who hasn't play it yet, and have no time to complain on the internet.

Indeed.

Herp. I'm just happy that everyone with XBL Gold can now get a digital copy of the game for free. I just built a ridiculous gaming PC, and have Sleeping Dogs on Steam, so I really shouldn't care. I'm just happy for them, like I said.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spoonman671

Maybe they're starting to understand why people like PS+.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RonGalaxy

Definitely an improvement, but it still doesnt compare to what ps plus has offered

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mc_hify said:

PS+ was pretty shit the first year or two of it's existance.

Yeah, I recall it being an awful proposition at first.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

babysteps, babysteps.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eidderf

I'm looking forward to giving it a go, I've always had a interest in it (mostly due to the various Quick Looks on the site) but I never got around to picking it up so I can't wait to give it a go.

Microsoft's service may be a little slow but well I can't usually afford every game that comes out in a year most of the time so there are a lot of older ones that I end up just missing, it's kind of cool that some of them are getting a new lease of life through this service (I broke my leg recently and spent a surprising amount of time playing crackdown due to it being on games on gold, when you can't walk it's quite satisfying being able to kick cars at crowds of people)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave said:

They never had to give away games. How can people complain about them giving things away? So weird that this is a point of critique. Sure, Sony gives more away, but that's a more important factor of that service. And they've also been doing it much longer. Keep in mind the type of games that were hitting Plus for the first year or so.

Let's be positive about this, competition is good for the consumer. And we're seeing cheaper and sometimes free games. Sleeping Dogs is absolutely worth free. Good for anybody who hasn't had a chance to play it yet.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eidderf said:

(when you can't walk it's quite satisfying being able to kick cars at crowds of people)

It is a great feeling.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@donpixel said:

Indeed.

@xalienxgreyx said:

Herp. I'm just happy that everyone with XBL Gold can now get a digital copy of the game for free. I just built a ridiculous gaming PC, and have Sleeping Dogs on Steam, so I really shouldn't care. I'm just happy for them, like I said.

But you cared enough to defend Games with Gold on XBL...? They're really late with this stuff. Good for people still paying for XBL but the choices past months have been borderline insulting.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sleeping Dogs and the other game they're giving this month is good, and that's something worth acknowledging. But it's hilarious to claim that the service has been exemplary compared to the current state of PS+, which is what most people compare the service to.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They're both great games. Hopefully this means there's more to come. Honestly I just want digital games to be comparable in price to retail games and i'll be happy. Granted that's not really related to GwG.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GreggD
    @trafalgarlaw said:

@greggd said:

@donpixel said:

Indeed.

@xalienxgreyx said:

But you cared enough to defend Games with Gold on XBL...? They're really late with this stuff. Good for people still paying for XBL but the choices past months have been borderline insulting.

It's an added bonus. Honestly, most of the GWG were ones I never played, or wanted to give another go. I'm the kind of person who doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and using the term insulting to describe free content is pretty fucking hyperbolic.

@fluxwavez said:

Sleeping Dogs and the other game they're giving this month is good, and that's something worth acknowledging. But it's hilarious to claim that the service has been exemplary compared to the current state of PS+, which is what most people compare the service to.

Who says I'm comparing them? Also, exemplary and rubbish are two extremes, I'm saying the service is somewhere in the middle, closer to exemplary, but obviously not anywhere near it.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:
    @trafalgarlaw said:

@greggd said:

@donpixel said:

Indeed.

@xalienxgreyx said:

It's an added bonus. Honestly, most of the GWG were ones I never played, or wanted to give another go. I'm the kind of person who doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and using the term insulting to describe free content is pretty fucking hyperbolic.

That you pay $60 yearly for? Yeah, totally free.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@greggd said:

@fluxwavez said:

Who says I'm comparing them? Also, exemplary and rubbish are two extremes, I'm saying the service is somewhere in the middle, closer to exemplary, but obviously not anywhere near it.

You're not, which is why I said "most people." Those people are the ones who claim that the selection for Games With Gold has been poor and those people are who I'm assuming you're trying to make this thread to argue against.

And "exemplary" vs. "rubbish" is your subjective assessment, which does not apply to everyone. Again, it's in comparison to what PS+ has had to offer.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is definitely one of the better months for the service so that's good but the service as a whole has still been pretty lackluster in general. Yeah, Ps Plus wasn't that great it's first couple of years but the thing is, there was no competition back then. By the time Microsoft started this service, there was some strong competition from Ps Plus, which had become pretty damn good at this point, so you can't just act like there's no competition, you have to compete by starting off stronger than Ps Plus did (though I suppose this just might be further evidence that Microsoft hasn't really given much of a shit about the 360 these last couple of years).

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:
    @trafalgarlaw said:

@greggd said:

@donpixel said:

Indeed.

@xalienxgreyx said:

That you pay $60 yearly for? Yeah, totally free.

Free as in I don't have to pay extra for them and get to keep and play them, no matter what. On PS+, there are stipulations, since you can only use them so long as you're subscribed. So if you're going to keep using the money argument against me, it just as much applies to PSN and Plus as it does to XBL Gold. Also, now Plus is mandatory for online play, so that's just an amazing value add. :|

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think those games are the best they've ever offered, but that's not really saying much. I still find it funny that this service seems to of been made in response to what PS+ was doing, but hasn't even come close to realistically competing with it.

Also, I very nearly bought Sleeping Dogs on demand about a week ago. Glad I didn't or I would of felt like a real big idiot right about now.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It's stupid to talk about the service as if I have some objective sense of what someone other than me will make use of. I have no idea what the average person will use. And as for me, the free games on gold have been of no use whatsoever.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DonPixel

@trafalgarlaw: I'm not sure if you believe you are "fighting the good fight", defending costumers against evil xbox live, but seriously you coming out more as a jerk somewhat passively aggressive insulting people who likes xbox live as a service for whatever reason.

Its free country, if other services work for you, cool beans. Now getting angry and actively attack other options seems like apeshit crazy really, Grow up.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I guess I'll finally give Sleeping Dogs a try. If I don't like it better than GTA V, I'm gonna be pissed at the Giant Bomb faithful. All I've heard is Sleeping Dogs this and Sleeping Dogs that, shit better impress me.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Slaegar

If you already have Xbox Live Gold for some reason this would be a pretty cool deal, but the game is $10 on amazon right now for PC and you get to keep it foreverish (until the world explodes). Buying Xbox Live Gold will cost you $10 for one month. So for $10 you will be able to play the game for one month or for the foreseeable (and beyond) future. If they want to blow my skirt up they should throw Diablo 3 on there or something that isn't already dirt cheap elsewhere.

edit: Oh you get to keep the games with gold. That actually goes a long way. That's pretty cool.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

If you already have Xbox Live Gold for some reason this would be a pretty cool deal, but the game is $10 on amazon right now for PC and you get to keep it foreverish (until the world explodes). Buying Xbox Live Gold will cost you $10 for one month. So for $10 you will be able to play the game for one month or for the foreseeable (and beyond) future. If they want to blow my skirt up they should throw Diablo 3 on there or something that isn't already dirt cheap elsewhere.

To be fair, you get to keep the games they give you with Gold.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GreggD

@claude said:

I guess I'll finally give Sleeping Dogs a try. If I don't like it better than GTA V, I'm gonna be pissed at the Giant Bomb faithful. All I've heard is Sleeping Dogs this and Sleeping Dogs that, shit better impress me.

The story is great, the fighting system is almost as good, and the driving is passable, but not nearly as fun as something like GTAV. Though you can totally airjack other vehicles and car check stuff. It's pretty cool.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The choices have been "rubbish" for awhile. It's understandable in the beginning for a new service, but old stuff like Halo 3 and AC2, while great games, isn't necessarily impressive. Maybe they've got a good offering this month? Great. Movin' forward.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I was hoping they would release a version with all the DLC for like $30 at some point, since I still haven't played it. But I guess I'll take a free DLC-less version, too.

But Games with Gold still does kinda suck.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Or a PC.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I haven't had XBL gold in a long while... but I did play the free copy of Shoot Many Robots! that my friend got this month. We lasted 10 minutes. Sleeping Dogs is good, as are the handful of 5-year-old classics that have occasionally been scooted out, but it's not insane the way PS+ is.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it was on PS+, I still got excited when Sleeping Dogs was announced as a Games with Gold game. Not because I have Xbox Live Gold and not because I plan to, but because that game is so fucking great a lot more people get to experience it and I'm more hopeful for a sequel.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it was on PS+, I still got excited when Sleeping Dogs was announced as a Games with Gold game. Not because I have Xbox Live Gold and not because I plan to, but because that game is so fucking great a lot more people get to experience it and I'm more hopeful for a sequel.

Hopefully it'll get a good word of mouth going. Also, SE already announced that the sequel was greenlit, so maybe they'll be given a bigger budget by way of word of mouth.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By golguin

@jayeh said:

Games with Gold is still rubbish. The games this month are better but we'll have to see if this trend continues in the coming months. I think the only games I've downloaded have been Fable 3 and Dead Rising 2.

PS Plus is getting DmC, Infinite, and Brothers in Jan though...

DmC, Infinite, and Brothers are huge compared to Sleeping Dogs, which I've already played and got 1000/1000 on the 360. I guess I'll get a free digital copy.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@somedelicook said:

Hopefully it'll get a good word of mouth going. Also, SE already announced that the sequel was greenlit, so maybe they'll be given a bigger budget by way of word of mouth.

I thought the only thing they had announced was the Triad Wars thing? Which didn't sound exactly like a direct sequel.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

@greggd said:

@somedelicook said:

I thought the only thing they had announced was the Triad Wars thing? Which didn't sound exactly like a direct sequel.

I just took it as a sequel by another name. Because I mean, it's kind of hard to continue Wei's story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.