Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Snake Pass

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 28, 2017

Control Noodle the Snake as he attempts to collect relics in this physics based puzzle game.

Snake Pass - Impressions

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Been keeping an eye on this game for a while now. Haven't picked it up yet. Hopefully there's a quick look soon considering how unique this games seems, as far as locomotion is concerned, but until then, how is everyone that jumped in enjoying it? Seems the unique locomotion could offer some interesting gameplay, even though it's your typical collectathon. They talked about it on the bombcast for just a bit but I'd like to hear your guys' take on it now that its out.

Is the locomotion engaging? Does the game ask you to do things in new ways consistently? Do the controls wear you down or seems to get stale?

I'd love to hear from ya'll, thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

You're in luck: there's a Quick Look up within the hour!

I'm also curious to hear and see some more GB impressions of this game because it sounds like it's trying new things with the way it controls. The art style is also really alluring.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Been playing it all week and it pretty good. Controls take some times to get use to since you literally need to move like a snake. Switch version is a bit blurry but not a complete breaking point. It a game you'll need to take your time with.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By glots

I've been playing on PS4 Pro and it's been a blast so far. The game looks really pleasant and though it only has a few music tracks, they are all relaxing and catchy David Wise tunes. Was surprised to learn, that the framerate is 30fps on regular PS4 and 60 on Pro.

@flashflood_29 I learned the somewhat different control scheme quickly and it works pretty well. At least well enough, that I haven't been frustrated by it at all so far and I've completed 7 levels by now, grabbing all the collectibles. There hasn't really been any new mechanics introduced, though. Except for swimming underwater (which amazingly enough doesn't control like garbage), it's all pretty much there from the beginning and you can complete all the obstacles in similiar manner throughout the game. The only difference comes from the levels getting more moving parts and spikes to impale yourself on, at least so far. I don't think they're going to be introducing any enemies to avoid, though who knows for sure.

The game's not super long, at least if you don't go for all the collectibles and only gather the three items that you usually need for finishing each level. That said, I've still put between 30mins and 1,5 hours into each one probably and 'am on 7th level, which has seemed okay for a 15€ game (got 5€ discount by pre-ordering it).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

The controls are incredibly unique, its refreshing to play something that feels like nothing else. As others have said, the Switch version is quite blurry. It's clearly not running at native res on the handheld or the TV. It's playable though, framerate not been an issue.

Every time I play I feel like I learn something new about controlling Noodle. In the quick look Brad gave a perfect example of the first lesson the game taught me - stop holding ZR (the go forward button). If you try and traverse the bamboo scaffolding sections while constantly holding it down you will just slide right off. Once you get into the rhythm of movement though it makes you feel great, bouncing between going forward, raising your head, pushing in a direction to make Noodle move in a continuous fashion along a beam.

As for length, it seems short but for £16 I can't complain, and I'm not opposed to shorter games at the moment anyway. I'm 4 levels in out of 15 and have 100% of the collectibles on those so far, probably put in a tad over 2 hours I think.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@glots said:

I've been playing on PS4 Pro and it's been a blast so far. The game looks really pleasant and though it only has a few music tracks, they are all relaxing and catchy David Wise tunes. Was surprised to learn, that the framerate is 30fps on regular PS4 and 60 on Pro.

Oh shit, I love me some David Wise. Now I have to get this!

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Well... counter to all the positivity here, I just rage-quitted out and deleted it after trying to get Noodle along some extended bit of bamboo to get a coin about 20 times. The controls just do.not.work. There's this 'grip' mechanic that's supposed to tighten Noodle around something, but it just... doesn't. He sags off stuff regardless, and all the grip thing does is slow your movement, like it almost stops his head moving to a point? I think you're supposed to use it to take stock of where you are and kind of 'reset' any momentum, but nope, he'll just slink off things no matter what.

The camera doesn't help either, as being your head movement is relative to its placement ('up' is away from the viewpoint), it'll swoop in or decide to zoom around a piece of world geometry, meaning the direction you were pushing Noodle is no longer correct. Try to course-correct and you'll most likely fall off, as his auto-detection takes him 'around' a part of his own body, irrevocably missing the piece of the world you were attempting to latch onto.

Checkpointing is horrendous too, where even if you've collected a number of the blue bits of goo and/or some jewels, falling off anything kicks you back to the last time you activated one of the handful of markers on the floor. If you missed them and were indulging in the otherwise joyful feel of the game, nope, time to do EVERYTHING again.

There's something about when a game with so much potential, such a cutesy art style and such a cool control scheme f*cks up, that it infuriates me, so I tried, I got to the fourth world, but it's too unrefined and frustrating to recommend or carry on with.

*deep breath*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.