Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sniper Elite V2

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 01, 2012

Sniper Elite V2 is a reboot to the tactical third person shooter Sniper Elite.

So who's getting this game when it's coming out?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So this game is coming out in the US on May 1st and Eu on May 4th. Just wanted to see if anyone is getting this game.

As someone who played the "first one" and found it interesting but fundamentally flawed I have to say that the demo left me wanting more. I was really impressed by how much they improved the game. The amount of ways you have to take enemies down is really impressive.

Granted the demo has it quirks, mainly in the AI department, but I am hoping this is just due to it being an earlier build for this game.

Anyways, I recommend to everyone to give the demo a try, it out on all platforms.

PS: Steam is having a 10% off on it and if you pre order it you get a bonus "Kill Hitler" level.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

I probably will buy the game when its cheaper. I enjoyed the demo, but sense Max Payne 3 is coming out the same month. I'm saving up my money to buy that game.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Enigma777

Nope

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The demo seemed to aspire to give me multiple approaches but the execution was really bad. You get detected too easily and the AI do not behave like human beings the way they do in Crysis, Splinter Cell or other good stealth games.  
    Not to mention that I was sooooooo disappointed by having to run down a street rather than be able to jump from roof to roof and do all kinds of sniper tricks. 

So I'll be passing on this one.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's going to be the next game I buy. I'm not sure when I'll have 50 bucks to spend on a game though, may be a couple months before I will. I goddamn loved the demo. Sniping was so satisfying on the highest difficulty.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valrog

I enjoyed the first one, so I'll be picking this one up. But not anytime soon I'm afraid.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hbkdx12

The sniping is fun but as someone pointed out, you get spotted almost too easily which makes approaching situations with versatility seem non-existant

Maybe i went into it with the wrong approach but i felt like if i hit my shots cleanly from far enough away in enough cover that the remaining enemies wouldn't know what happened or at the very least wouldn't know where i was at and although it does happen slightly, i don't feel like they take it far enough. 

Instead i felt like once i shot one person that i just needed to commit to cleaning everyone else as quickly as possible.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grimhild

@mordukai: Already pre-purchased. Also, totally down for some co-op if someone wants to get a name/platform list started. I already have a few friends that are getting it, but it never hurts to have more.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

@AhmadMetallic said:

The demo seemed to aspire to give me multiple approaches but the execution was really bad. You get detected too easily and the AI do not behave like human beings the way they do in Crysis, Splinter Cell or other good stealth games. Not to mention that I was sooooooo disappointed by having to run down a street rather than be able to jump from roof to roof and do all kinds of sniper tricks. So I'll be passing on this one.

That's the feeling I got but then again it's not AC the WWII edition :P. I do with the game would be more open but I think having the ability to move from roof tops to roof tops would put you in an extremely unfair advantage .As far as stealth goes then it's kinda different then traditionla ones were kills are optional. In this one it's really all about stealthing your way to the kill point.

As far sniper trick then you really have a lot of tools at your disposal. it's just how use them. Use your mins and trip wires and dynamite sticks you get. For example. You can position soldiers on top of mines so when they get detected who ever rolls the body, and anyone in the vicinity, is dead. You can put a Tripwire in an entrance to a room, back up and fire your weapon into it and watch the unlucky who runs to you get to do a 180 in the air. Or find the one guy in the group with a grenade on him and shoot the grenade to explode it.

The AI does seem a bit twitchy, which was also present in the first one and I am hoping that would get ironed out in the full game. From what I notice, especially with enemy snipers, that the AI has a general knowledge of where you are. Almost as if the areas are divided into grids and the AI just knows which grid you are on. I did manage to "trick" the AI on several occasions.

Personally I think the biggest problem the demo has is that it's not making itself clear of what the game wants you to do. They kinda throw you in with all these tools and just gives you a very basic training.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By Mnemoidian

Tried the demo, really liked the idea, and most of it...but... I think I'll wait. Will probably pick it up at some sale in a year or 2. (not like I'm suffering for something to play either).

Anyway, main issues:

1. As soon a bullet connects, all AI know where you are instantly. And because the demo is extremely linear, you can't use the splinter-cell-like "last known position" very well, as it's rather difficult to get around without getting spotted.

2. There are no checkpoints (at least in the demo). Failing to see the guy you need to snipe near the end, I suddenly found myself back at the start of the mission. Woop? *sigh*. Then I managed to get myself killed somehow near that point... and I didn't really feel as compelled to play through it again.

But, as I said, like the idea.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Mnemoidian: Don't know what other platforms it's available on but i played it on ps3 and there are checkpoints. At first, i missed the guy at the end i was suppose to kill too and it restarted at the part where the convoy pulled in also if you pause the game there's a "restart checkpoint" option so checkpoints are definitely there
    Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By Mnemoidian

@hbkdx12: Weird, definitely bumped me back to the start of the demo. Anyway, played on PC, would be even weirder if that's why :)

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jacdg

I really enjoyed the demo, quite a lot actually, but I'll wait for the review and see if the levels are more open and how much variety there is, stuff like that. I would LOVE a well done sniping game, not sure this is it though.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

I spent at least two hours with the ~30 minute demo just messing around with the bullet physics.

My proudest accomplishments were a double-headshot and sniping the driver of the the lead troop truck at the end.

I'm definitely going to buy this game at some point.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @mordukai said:

As far sniper trick then you really have a lot of tools at your disposal. it's just how use them. Use your mins and trip wires and dynamite sticks you get. For example. You can position soldiers on top of mines so when they get detected who ever rolls the body, and anyone in the vicinity, is dead. You can put a Tripwire in an entrance to a room, back up and fire your weapon into it and watch the unlucky who runs to you get to do a 180 in the air. Or find the one guy in the group with a grenade on him and shoot the grenade to explode it.

That's my point though, were you able to do any of this? Not only was the level too narrow and linear to move around, but the enemies spotted you the moment you moved..
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

@AhmadMetallic: I actually I did. As I said before, the demo does a terrible job conveying the player what it can do. Once I knew I could do all those things I figured out how to peel back the various layers. I wonder how the rest of the game is. From going on the official game forums it seems the demo is a small part of the game that they also made short for the sake of the demo. Seems like that particular section will be longer and will be played out differently.

I will agree with you on the AI part. They are very twitchy indeed.

For now I am reserving a full opinion until the full game comes out and see how the fans of the first one will react to it.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By zidd

@Mnemoidian: There were 2 checkpoints in the demo. one about halfway through and one near the end.

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, looks like my friend who said he'd be getting it twatted out on me. If anyone wants to play some co-op, please add me - xbl "Ron Swanson Jr"

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By firecracker22

I was really interested in the first one, but by the time I'd even heard of it I couldn't justifiably pay the $30 used price I'd see everywhere...for a past gen game. I was so into the idea of a sniper game, that I've come close to buying Ghost Warrior.

My brother's getting Max Payne 3 for the PS3, and at lower price already....eh, I'll go for it.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valrog

@firecracker22: Do you have a PC? The first one is 1,74 € on Steam right now.

AstroCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AstroCow

I took a chance and got it (on PC) last night. I say "chance" because I didn't really enjoy the demo when I first played it on my PS3. Thankfully, playing on the PC dramatically changes the game (running everything on max settings) and really helped turn an otherwise cardboard looking game into a fairly detail-rich environment. If you take your time, the game is rewarding. Especially when the enemy springs one of your booby traps. There's even an option to dial-up/down the "Deadshot" hits. I'm only an hour into it and I feel like I'm Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell who found a time machine and headed back to WWII.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GoofyGoober

When it gets cheaper.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard

@firecracker22 said:

I was really interested in the first one, but by the time I'd even heard of it I couldn't justifiably pay the $30 used price I'd see everywhere...for a past gen game. I was so into the idea of a sniper game, that I've come close to buying Ghost Warrior.

My brother's getting Max Payne 3 for the PS3, and at lower price already....eh, I'll go for it.

Ghost Warrior is one of the worst things you will ever play and can't hold a candle to Sniper Elite.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

It's not often a game comes out with a title that looks like it was ripped straight from a typical LIVE gamertag.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James

Bought it on Steam. I stayed up till 6 in the morning playing it. I was purposely dying just to redo certain areas

AstroCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AstroCow

@Th3_James said:

Bought it on Steam. I stayed up till 6 in the morning playing it. I was purposely dying just to redo certain areas

Yep. If you have even the slightest amount of OCD, this game will capitalize on it.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Th3_James

@AstroCow said:

@Th3_James said:

Yep. If you have even the slightest amount of OCD, this game will capitalize on it.

I only have OCD for certain games. I love getting the cleanest run I can possibly get.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Funkydupe

Everyone playing as a sniper in FPS games will love it. This game is about sniping and kicking ass.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X19

It's on my Lovefilm list :D

I have major nostalgia for this level in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and they made a game based on that style. SOLD!!! or at least rented :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.