Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 22, 2019

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts is the fourth game in the popular series, having sold over 7 million copies globally to date. Contracts is the evolution of the series, focusing on contracts over large maps, sandbox gameplay, tactical stealth and epic, realistic sniping. It is scheduled for release on 22nd November.

Turns Out This is Okay

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

So I got this game as part of the Humble Monthly Bundle, and thought I would give it a shot. Turns out it is actually not too bad. I can't say that I've ever felt that a CI Games game was good, or really even decent, so color me surprised. Unlike the previous game this isn't one big open world, but several massive levels containing multiple objectives, challenges, and targets to snipe. It actually strongly reminded me of the recent Hitman trilogy. Levels are meant to be replayed to achieve the various challenges, which are often mutually exclusive, and the sandbox nature of the levels allow you to use different strategies to snipe your enemies. It's maybe the only sniping game I've played where I actually felt like I needed to carefully decide where to set up my rifle in order to take out my target most effectively.

The other cool aspect is that the rifles actually make use of an elevation and distance slider, so there isn't any red dot telling you where your shot will actually hit. You need to find your target, mark it to measure the distance, account for elevation and wind and then take the shot. It's challenging without being frustrating, and I never felt like I should have made a shot the game said I missed, a major issue with previous games in the series. It also feels great to choose the perfect perch, and then make a shot from 300+ meters away in a windy mountain or what have you.

There is also a slight sci-fi element to the game where you are provided with an advanced suit of armor and a helmet that you can upgrade to improve your abilities beyond that of a normal sniper. This is largely how they get around you needing a spotter, as your mask spots the enemies for you and then performs the distance calculations which you can then use in your shot. There are also some fairly futuristic bullets, including one that does not drop over long distances or get blown off course by heavy winds.

Overall I was really impressed with what I played. The upgrade system made replaying levels to complete more objectives worthwhile. You also earn money that can be used to buy new weapons or to add various aftermarket parts to your current loadout, giving you a lot of options to play with. You can also eventually purchase a drone and an automated sniper rifle that can take out targets remotely. After how bad previous Sniper Ghost Warrior games were, I am shocked at the quality of this one. It's not Hitman levels of good, mind you, but compared to virtually every other games in CI's lineup, its a masterpiece.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently starting going through all the Sniper: Ghost Warriors games just because, i've only done the first 2 so far but I can definitely see the progression from forgettable budget shooter to actual decent little game, they really have seemed to made improvements with every sequel so far.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@panfoot: I have bad news for you. By all accounts(including their own), 3 is is trash. They basically were overly ambitious, ran out of money, and had to release a game that wasn’t fun, didn’t look good or run well, and had a truly awful story. Contracts fixes all of the major issues, mind you, but be prepared for a slog if you play through 3.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10: I've beat Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct so I think I'm up to the challenge. I will take an overly ambitious mess over the same old same old, though I'm sure they has to be some aspect in there that improves over 2, even if the rest of it sucks.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reviewed it a couple of years back. It's fine. Looks great although I had some bugs kind of halt my progress. Getting stuck in geometry, AI bugging out. Not huge problems but the checkpoints felt a little off at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.