Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Zipper Interactive returns to the SOCOM series with a new installment on PlayStation 3 that features squad-based gameplay, 32 player online modes, and PlayStation Move support.

For how exceptionally average this game is, still the best MP

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Truant19

Maybe i'm turning into one of the old people I swore to never become when I was a kid, but I hate current gen shooters. I find the re-spawn, auto-aim, and matchmaking systems all terrible, and even though Socom 4 lived up to  about 20% of its potential I still find my self enjoying the MP a thousand times more then Killzone 3, bulletstorm, crysis 2, or black ops.

What do you guys think?
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By phantomzxro

well i think this will always comes down to taste, i tired out the demo and it was ok. the problem i feel with any game like socom 4 is that their is a harder wall to entry. Most will jump in get killed over and over with seeing where anyone is and move on to the next game. I think most of the games you listed have a very easy entry point for people who just want to play and have fun with having to create your own team to do well. I will say socom is on a better foot then mag was when it started.
    RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By RadixNegative2

I feel the same way to an extent. Though I can enjoy "modern" shooters with the items you mentioned (re-spawn, matchmaking, etc), I have always and still gravitate towards games like Socom and Counter-Strike. Socom 2 specifically is perhaps the most fun I've had with a shooter. Which makes me all the more sad that Socom 4 turned out the way it did (at least judging from the reviews and peoples opinions). Even so I still want to pick it up and see for myself. Maybe when the price goes down.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Sign

Personally, like many, I loved Socom 2 and think it was the height of the series. In my opinion Socom made 2 fatal mistakes which have killed what I loved about.  They made the teams too big and they added respawn.  I loved the small team tactical combat of 1 and 2, the feeling of being the last man alive against 4+ members of the other team.  Sneaking around with an M4A1-SD and slowly taking them out as your whole team is watching.  Those were the great moments and what made Socom so great.  Now with larger teams they cannot make it round based because you could die early and be sitting for way too long, so they have to make it respawn and that kills the careful, tactical play and just leads to more run and gun blind charging.  I want to love this game, I want to get that old feeling back but I think it is lost.  Whether the genre has just moved passed it or no one is willing to gamble on a game like that again I don't think we will ever see something as great as Socom 2 in the current gen.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By ReyGitano

I saw the draw of SOCOM and SOCOM 2 when my cousin owned and played them. Maybe it's because of the wave of FPS's spoiling me since then, but I don't see the draw as strongly as I once did. I just imagine myself becoming frustrated with the online.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#6  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm loving the multplayer on this game so far.

I was a HUGE fan of Socom 1 and 2 back on the PS2.  Confrontation was okay, but did not hold my attention too long.  There is something about Socom 4 that reminds me of those times playing Socom 1 and 2.  I'm definitely hooked, regardless of what reviews and others say.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yakov456

This game is a weird one for me. It feels so generic and honestly it's pretty ho-hum. BUT, I am enjoying my time playing it. Suppose I really am a Socom guy. If you have not played Socom before, i would say for sure that this game is a rental at best.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

As long as I have been playing shooters online Socom has been the only game that hooks me in. From the original to confrontation to S4.

Xtacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xtacles

Considering Confrontation was the closest we are ever going to get to going back to those warm fuzzy days of SOCOM 2, it has quite the negative rap.

-Confrontation
    -SOCOM style lobbies (Requested by community over matchmaking, Slant six listened)
    -Post release scoreboard adjustment(Requested by community)
    -Dpad lean (Requested by community)
    -Two different viewing angles: Over the shoulder and Classic SOCOM (Requested by the community)

SOCOM 4
    -Abandoned?
    -Not as Glitchy as SOCOM 1?
    -Zipper makes BAAAAAAD SP.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I obviously haven't been playing the multiplayer very much, but I really like the singleplayer a lot.
    Many modern shooters like this have an extremely streamlined campaign with a very specific path to follow, but I feel that this here is more open... You have AI trying to actively flank you and stuff at times and multiple routes to take, even if the checkpoint markers wouldn't leave you to believe so. I think it makes the instances like when they are charging you on the dam to get to the control room and not flushing you out with grenades like they usually do, more forgiving.
    Only thing I wish was that attack and move orders wasn't on the same button, but it works alright.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

To lighten the mood, of this gloomy toned thread, I think we can all confirm that no one is playing the game online right now...so that should say something?

*rimshot*

But seriously, SOCOM 4 will do fine.  It has a fanbase, and I think the SOCOM fans don't want the COD kids in SOCOM 4, so sales for this game won't matter as much.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Truant19 said:
    " Maybe i'm turning into one of the old people I swore to never become when I was a kid, but I hate current gen shooters. I find the re-spawn, auto-aim, and matchmaking systems all terrible, and even though Socom 4 lived up to  about 20% of its potential I still find my self enjoying the MP a thousand times more then Killzone 3, bulletstorm, crysis 2, or black ops.

What do you guys think?
    "
    Bulletstorm really does not have "Multiplayer" its horde mode...thats it. 
    Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Nadafinga
    @Sign:  You can play "classic" mode that is like the SOCOM of old, with no respawn, round-based play.
    Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sign
    @Nadafinga: That is good to hear but is it a popular option? I get the feeling the community has moved passed that and prefers the respawn with large teams method.  I think I am just falling into the Nostalgia trap of wanting to relive passed days.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Commisar123

Wow cool now all you need is for PSN to be back up

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yakov456
    @Sign: I would say if you are in a clan, Classic is the popular way to go but for public rooms respawn seems to be the norm.

I suppose I didn't do my research about this game enough. Why in the hell are there no pistols? Do they have any plans to patch them in? There are some other big time screw ups as far as clan play too. No lobbies, I have not created a room but it seems when my clan makes a room(i guess it's private) you can only have one map. You need to create another room for another map.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

yah i love the MP. its still my favorite as far as shooters go. tactical is always the best and socom does it better than anyone

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By OneManX

Cant make fixes when you cant even log in.....

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooty
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " yah i love the MP. its still my favorite as far as shooters go. tactical is always the best and socom does it better than anyone "
    Didn't think SOCOM had anything on Ghost Recon and Island Thunder back in the day. But I guess that's a preference thing, I prefer first person.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @OneManX said:
    " Cant make fixes when you cant even log in..... "
    Oh PSN jokes, how you never get old.  :\
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By OneManX
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " Cant make fixes when you cant even log in..... "
    Oh PSN jokes, how you never get old.  :\ "
    Hey, Im sitting here with a copy of SOCOM 4... unopened...

Still waiting.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Jackel2072

when i was playing the beta i thought it was ok. but it really just kind of felt like a 3rd person COD with a really bad camera. I really wanted to like SOCOM 4. i think the graphics and the details on the soldier looked damn good. but gameplay wise. it just didnt do it for me.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Jackel2072 said:
    " when i was playing the beta i thought it was ok. but it really just kind of felt like a 3rd person COD with a really bad camera. I really wanted to like SOCOM 4. i think the graphics and the details on the soldier looked damn good. but gameplay wise. it just didnt do it for me. "
    The respawn stuff is cod-ish but Classic is good. Also Cod has never been able to hook me in for longer than a couple weeks. But S4 already has me fully on board. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.