Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Zipper Interactive returns to the SOCOM series with a new installment on PlayStation 3 that features squad-based gameplay, 32 player online modes, and PlayStation Move support.

SOCOM 4 Looks Really Rather Good All Of A Sudden

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Remember how Sony shoved SOCOM 4 in at the end of GDC to say, "hey look, we do hardcore games too." Yeah, I didn't think it looked very good then. But a few months later, it's looking incredibly impressive. Not only does the E3 demo look graphically rather spectacular, the actual Move controls look vastly improved. In fact, they look like they've nailed them. Remember how Resident Evil 4 on Wii was really good? This looks like that, but in a high-definition game. It's not original I know, but I, like many, was really waiting for someone to capitalise on RE4's Wii controls and it never really happened. With Zipper saying it's pretty easy to bring in Move controls (and the fact that you don't have to use them if you don't want to), I'm hoping a ton of other games go the SOCOM route.

My interest in SOCOM 4 has gone from zero to fairly high. Am I alone?

You can read the text preview through here.
    dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dantheman1515

I think the game looks like an early 360 game to be honest. But I thought the same of MAG as well. I dunno know. Ive become a huge fan of GRAW and have lost interest in SOCOM over the years. They are just tacking on Move to claim they are supporting the "hardcore." I hope it turns out well. I'm all for good games, I just wish they wouldn't cost so much.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
    @dantheman1515: Early 360? No, I appreciate the video's not the best quality but you can extrapolate how it would look in person. I think it's looking really good, the burning cars stand out to me. Also the shrubbery that's blowing in the wind. Greg Miller actually states in his preview that it's looking pretty graphically impressive. Clearly no Uncharted 2, but lightyears ahead of where it was at during GDC. But I agree, we'll need better footage to be sure.

If tacked on Move controls are like this, then I've my fingers crossed for more tacked on Move controls. I don't really see how that's a bad thing? Microsoft just got completely flamed for ignoring the hardcore crowd last night, and this looks like good solid implementation in a "traditional" game scenario. It looks more accurate than a DualShock to me but then, it doesn't matter either way, because both control schemes are available. Though the accuracy comment is backed-up by Jeff, who said way back at GDC he was popping heads with ease.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Burns098356GX

I think it looks pretty good, visually. I'm just worried that using those motion controls will make it not very precise. Watching him move around using those wands just makes your character look very clunky, and I'm thinking that during online play it'd be a nightmare vs. people with the normal controllers because you can execute very precise movements. As much as I wish SOCOM 4 will be good, because the last couple have sucked, I'm thinking its gonna suck hard if its motion-control only.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Burns098356GX: Nah it's absolutely 100% not motion control only. You can use a DualShock if you prefer. That does present it's own problems in the multiplayer though, you're right. However, I seem to remember Jeff saying back at GDC that Zipper were claiming the issue is not as you'd imagine -- apparently PlayStation Move players have the advantage over the DualShock.

Turning does look a bit clunky I agree, but it strikes me that you can move individually to your shooting direction, which should help a bit. I think the further Greg gets into the demo, the more comfortable he becomes with the controls. He definitely seems a bit all over the place at the start, but by the end he's picking dude's off with ease.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By hockeymask27

Looks alright, but there is only one Socom 2 and only one desert glory.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's definitely better than I anticipated. The motion controls actually seem more accurate than a controller, since that guy in the video only just picked it up and yet the aiming looked pretty easy, and if it isn't luckily you can choose not to use the Move. I don't have much interest in the SOCOM series, but I can tell they did good work with the controls. Looks like the Move isn't as bad as I thought, but I won't be getting it anyway because it costs money, and I can afford not to own it.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

The guy playing was bad throughout the demo. I dont see the point in trying to sell this to the hardcore market because its like "buy move so you can play shooters in this way" and my response would be just to stick with the dualshock and save the cash for a different game.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By insanegamer

it looks really cool but not sold on move yet.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

That's some of the slowest "action" I've ever seen.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Burns098356GX said:

" I think it looks pretty good, visually. I'm just worried that using those motion controls will make it not very precise. Watching him move around using those wands just makes your character look very clunky, and I'm thinking that during online play it'd be a nightmare vs. people with the normal controllers because you can execute very precise movements. As much as I wish SOCOM 4 will be good, because the last couple have sucked, I'm thinking its gonna suck hard if its motion-control only. "

dude, jeff himself has gone on and on about the demo he played weeks ago with move and said it was very precise, surprisingly so.  
     also, it only looked clunky to YOU, but i am sure that for the guy playing it felt fine. 

looks like a great game. it had a slow pace but it felt pretty intense. more realistic than mw2, where its so faced paced and and intense it would be impossible to happen in reality. the motion controls looked like the were doing a great job, they obviously did a lot of work on them and were able to control the jitteriness of you and almost like a "steady aim" but it didnt look like auto-aim either.  
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

also, i recommend watching the  HD version marked as "HI" on the player. the game does look great. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.