Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Zipper Interactive returns to the SOCOM series with a new installment on PlayStation 3 that features squad-based gameplay, 32 player online modes, and PlayStation Move support.

SOCOM 4 Will Hit Stores On April 19

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

So, SOCOM 4 finally has a firm release date. According to a recent posting on the official PlayStation Blog, this next SOCOM will see a release in North America on April 19. That's like three months from now!

In addition to busting out the date, Zipper Interactive also dropped news of an exciting pre-order bonus. Slapping down cash in advance of the game’s release at a GameStop will net you an extra bonus “exclusive” map called “Abandoned.”   

No Caption Provided

According to the GS listing, Abandoned is actually a remake of a “popular” Suppression mode map from the original SOCOM and SOCOM 2. Also, pre-orders will get you a “Super M90 Shotgun,” which features a larger range than standard, presumably in-game, shotguns. People are sure to love you if you carry that thing around.

Not a bad deal, I suppose, if you’re into pre-order stuff. Also, remember that a select number of copies of Killzone 3 will ship with a redeemable code for the upcoming SOCOM 4 beta, which will probably kick off a month before the game hits shelves.  

SOCOM 4 is notable as the return of Zipper to the franchise it created way back when. Slant SIx took over the series for its first PS3 installment, Confrontation, but a lot of SOCOM's longtime fans were less than pleased with that one. Does the return of Zipper make anyone more interested in giving SOCOM another shot?
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

So, SOCOM 4 finally has a firm release date. According to a recent posting on the official PlayStation Blog, this next SOCOM will see a release in North America on April 19. That's like three months from now!

In addition to busting out the date, Zipper Interactive also dropped news of an exciting pre-order bonus. Slapping down cash in advance of the game’s release at a GameStop will net you an extra bonus “exclusive” map called “Abandoned.”   

No Caption Provided

According to the GS listing, Abandoned is actually a remake of a “popular” Suppression mode map from the original SOCOM and SOCOM 2. Also, pre-orders will get you a “Super M90 Shotgun,” which features a larger range than standard, presumably in-game, shotguns. People are sure to love you if you carry that thing around.

Not a bad deal, I suppose, if you’re into pre-order stuff. Also, remember that a select number of copies of Killzone 3 will ship with a redeemable code for the upcoming SOCOM 4 beta, which will probably kick off a month before the game hits shelves.  

SOCOM 4 is notable as the return of Zipper to the franchise it created way back when. Slant SIx took over the series for its first PS3 installment, Confrontation, but a lot of SOCOM's longtime fans were less than pleased with that one. Does the return of Zipper make anyone more interested in giving SOCOM another shot?
    Solarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Solarus

Socom rocks. Confrontation wasn't amazing, but hopefully this game ends up like the 2nd one.

EDIT: Also, I apparently just got that achievement everyone fiends over by accident.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Ronald

April 19 sure is turning into a popular release day. We have Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, and now Socom 4.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Stealthoneill

I want a SOCOM single player campaign that rocks. Multiplayer was fun, but no lasting draw for me.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By xSeanZx

Yes, if they can return this game to it's Socom II glory days I am all in... that game is what threw me into the multiplayer gaming realm forever.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SSully
    @xSeanZx: Despite its many flaws, confrontation offered a very true socom experience for the most part. It got a really bad rep, while warranted with its shit release, the devs did improve the game. 
    XisLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By XisLoose

I loved the PSP version they had a few years back, the only shooter I actually enjoyed onthe psp.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By turboman

Abandoned..... 

... memories.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By Spiritof

I'll always believe that SOCOM was a success of its times, and not that it was ever a really great game or franchise. It was essentially the only good online shooter on the PS2 platform, which caused it to win by default. Today, it has a hard time sticking out from the pack. If Sony had played their cards right, the SOCOM franchise could have become Modern Warfare before it was even an itch in Infinity Ward's pants.

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Sepultallica86

this game lookskind of bad, and it doesn't even really look like a socom at all, and ive been playing since day one of the first SOCOM game.

Tacobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Tacobot

News of the map Abandoned would be most exciting to fans of Socom right?
     The people who are already going to buy Socom. Why do they do this crap?
     I hate shopping at Gamestop it's depressing trying to negotiate a purchase there
     "did you pre-order? No."  "do want to pre-order? No." "do you want to save five
     bucks and get a crusty fingerprinted disk that looks like someone sneezed on it? Nooo".  
    And if i buy it new somewhere else i assume i will have to also buy this map to play with friends who pre-ordered. Lame Sony
    I want to and will buy Socom i also want Abandoned but i don't want Sony to think
     that exclusive or timed pre-order bonus's are the right way to do things. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

Pass. If I buy anything on that date it'll be MK. Portal 2 can also wait for a sale.

JohnPaulVann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JohnPaulVann

Ain't we all had our fill of military shooters? SOCOM 4 looks no better than its PS2 forebears.

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By GozerTC

*Shrugs*  

I'm interested in seeing what Zipper does coming off of MAG but other than that... *Shrugs*  

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel
    @SpiritOf said:
    " I'll always believe that SOCOM was a success of its times, and not that it was ever a really great game or franchise. It was essentially the only good online shooter on the PS2 platform, which caused it to win by default. Today, it has a hard time sticking out from the pack. If Sony had played their cards right, the SOCOM franchise could have become Modern Warfare before it was even an itch in Infinity Ward's pants. "
    this!
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Burns098356GX

Looks really bland, just like the last one.

Really, they haven't made a good socom game since 2.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yakov456

I'll probably buy it, I can't refuse a console socom game. Confrontation got old really fast, hopefully this one differs.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PillClinton

if it's anything like socom 2, i'm completely sold. 

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By microshock

There's something I don't like about single life multiplayer games on consoles. In CS:S, it's fine, because its fun to spectate the game.  

But I hate dying and waiting forever for the round to restart in Socom. It was confrontation by the way since I got it for free from some contest off PS home.

brechtos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By brechtos

It will be interesting to see how it plays with the Move controller
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @100_Hertz said:
    "if it's anything like socom 2, i'm completely sold.  "

It's nothing like 2. At all. 

its cod online.
    brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brocool

Unluckily confrontation was the first Socom Game I played, MAG really wasn't great either.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

ooo another military shooter........ WHO GIVES A FUCK ! ? 

>:(

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

This game is gonna rock. cant wait

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Example1013

I just watched the 14 mins of SOCOM. Looks like they learned some things from Confrontation on how to make a SOCOM game that utilizes the evolution of gameplay that's taken place over the past few years. 

Most notably, the MW-like view when ADS really stuck out. In SOCOM 3 (and Confrontation), when you scoped in, even with a red dot sight, it went into a scope mode identical to the sniper rifle, completely eliminating peripheral vision. Not fun, and it essentially made the red dot sight useless (even in SOCOM 3). 

I'm liking the fact that they had the balls to still make a 3rd person shooter. However, the over-the-shoulder view still bothers me a bit, like it does in Confrontation. Hopefully it functions better. 

So, just like every game coming out this year that isn't Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I remain cautiously optimistic that it will be good.

dantad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dantad

I really liked the last PSP SOCOM, looking forward to trying out this one, need to scratch my tactical shooter itch! (Skipped the online only one) 

on a side note, where is the next Rainbow Six game ??? :(

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fenixrevolution

I had completely forgotten about this game. Might have to pick it up, I want a new shooter on my PS3.

spiritcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spiritcrusher

Here's hoping its better then Confrontation...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.