Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOMA

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2015

A horror game from Frictional Games. Set at the bottom of the ocean, it explores themes of the self, humanity, the mind, and consciousness.

SOMA and Mental Illness

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By squiDc00kiE

Disclaimer: The following is a 'stream of consciousness' piece. No pausing, no edits, no intended structure. Naturally there will be some typo's and poor grammar. But I believe exploring exactly why SOMA had an intense impact on me in this way will be far more revealing, both for myself, and for the reader. Thank you for reading, I went to some places below I did not intend to go when I started writing. But it is what it is. On that note, let's begin.

*SPOILERS THROUGHOUT*

I didn't finish SOMA in one sitting. I tried, but got stuck in the first outdoor section thinking there was some puzzle that I was missing involving getting the evil robot you pass to crash into a window somewhere. (no i don't know why I thought that either. It was late.) I returned a few weeks later remembering I never finished it and quickly realized I just missed a path that lead to an open door. That was dumb. But I didn't stop from then until credits. I knew I would like SOMA before I had even played it. Im a huge fan of the Amnesia games, and the new setting Frictional was working with sounded really intriguing to me. I was mostly just pushing through it to completion before the Game of the Year podcasts began to avoid spoilers. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, and the story had me intrigued even though I had no idea what was going on. I pushed through hallways, vents, more outdoor sections, just trying to finish the game. Along the way I started to piece together what the game was actually about. I my mental state started to shift.

Now let me back up. Im 25 years old, and for the last 5 years I've struggled with depression. It started out small, I didn't even label it as depression for a year or two because it didn't feel like anything unique to the human experience. I just thought I was dealing with life the way everyone did. Then one day I started talking about death and joking around and the whole room went silent and a friend of mine later on that night started asking me if I'm okay or wanted to talk. I just laughed and moved on. I never really thought about suicide but the idea of dying wasn't one I shied away from exactly. For example, at that time I would never kill myself, but if a friend of mine needed a transplant that only I could provide and that transplant would kill me, I wouldn't be all that upset. Does that make sense? I don't know maybe not. But it made sense to me. As the months and years went on I noticed my mental state starting to deteriorate. I don't need to go into extreme detail, but a few years later in September '14 I found myself sitting on the edge of my bed suddenly realizing what the bottle of pills in my hand was intended to do. Obviously I didn't go through with it that night, but I knew I needed to make some changes. Later that month I stopped all animal and alcohol consumption (XVX) in an effort to prove to myself that I can still do something completely selfless. A few months passed and I added regular exercise and proper nutrition (yes you can be VERY unhealthy and still be vegan. Its really not that hard.) to my life. All those things didn't cure my head, but they helped me find some pleasure in being alive, albeit in short bursts. I thought I was out of the place I was in last September. A few months ago I noticed my head starting to shift back to where it had been in years past. Shifted closer, then closer, then eventually eclipsed it entirely to where I started planning out my suicide once again and with a much stronger resolve. I stopped bodybuilding and started drinking again. Not heavily, I never get drunk, but still. On one of those nights I decided to go back to SOMA.

The first time I encountered the ARK questionnaire I answered how I felt in that moment. Yes I think living in the ARK will be without purpose. Yes I think it will be detached from my human existence. Yes I'd rather end it all then live on in the ARK. It was a nice aside to flesh out the world and I moved on. When you transfer into the better robot in order to dive deeper I must have stared at my old body for a good 10 plus minutes. This wave of confusion and panic rolled over me as I realized what had just happened. Even right now I cant fully enunciate what I was feeling in that moment. It was special. I had a moment where I FELT something. Something intense, in a way I hadn't felt in a long time.

I moved forward.

After the credits, when you're in the ARK you are presented once again with the questionnaire. It took me 30 minutes to finish answering because I realized all my answers had changed. Even knowing this wasnt my real body, everything around me was a simulation, I still felt like Simon could find some level of happiness in life in this environment. Walk forward, Kate, black.

I turned off the tv. Sat back on the couch. And cried.

In those few hours SOMA had changed my entire perspective on life. I'm not any happier, I still feel suicidal at times, but the fact that I get to EXPERIENCE depression, suicidal thoughts, intense loneliness and fear, is special. I FEEL depression. I might not feel much else. But I still FEEL. The fact that I get the privilege to live, despite all the hell that comes with it, is enough. SOMA did that.

I understand my reaction to this game and this fiction is disproportionate. I understand SOMA was not the only thing I could have collided with that would have affected me in this way. But it did, and I did. Until the day I die I will forever be grateful to Frictional, and thanks to SOMA, that day is now a much longer way off.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

If you liked SOMA because of the emotional response, you might really like Life is Strange.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I really liked reading your post. As someone who struggles with similar things, I think seeing something that makes you feel in a game or fiction is good. Whatever helps man. I'm not sure if you have people you do talk to or even want to, but just like that can help I think this can too.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By squiDc00kiE

@artisanbreads: Thanks man!

@flashflood_29 : Yeah it definitely sounds like something I would like. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@squidc00kie: No problem man. Fiction has helped me before. And if you ever want to talk to someone you can message me on here, seriously. I undertstand how alone you can feel sometimes or hell even all the time frankly and reaching out helps me with the person or two I can talk with in my life.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

SOMA was pretty cool. Lots of themes that, while not completely new to me, was fondly revisited in that world.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FrostyRyan

That's awesome. I'm glad people are recognizing how amazing of an ending this game has

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOMA has an incredible story, and there's no shame in being moved to tears over it. I'm so glad it touched you like that. I wish I could offer digital hugs.

...but are these real hugs, or just a century-old scan of hugs in an old browser?

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play this game for but don't like scary games so I'll probably end up reading what happens.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm really glad SOMA had a positive impact on you. Suffering similar issues, I know to some degree how easy it is to slip back into bad thought patterns and malignant habits.

I'll second the Life is Strange recommendation, as that had a massive impact on me. Make sure you play the whole way through, though, and like the others here have said, if you need anyone to talk to, I'd be more than happy to :)

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@macka1080: Downloading Life is Strange now. From what I've heard I know I'll like it. Just hadn't gotten around to it.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dfl017: It's really not that scary. As someone who finished Amnesia:TDD, if that's a 10 on the scary scale SOMA is about a 5. If that.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot I want to say here but I'll try to give the truncated version. I relate to your post a lot. I have struggled with depression since i was around 13. I never actually realized it was depression until I was around 19 and didn't actually start recognize it and start to try to do something about until I was 23. (I'm 25 as well) What your talking about in your post about fiction helping you come to terms a little bit with whats going on in your head is a huge thing for me. Depression not only sometimes makes you feel things that you normally wouldn't when stories touch upon resonating aspects of what we struggle with but it also makes you generally feel it more intensely than normal pulling of heart strings would. I don't know if that made any since but it seems like depression for me just makes me feel feelings more intensely. But is that healthy? are these things reminding us that we should be sad or is it helping us come to terms with our sadness? I don't know.

With that said though I have always looked at depression differently than most people. To me depression isn't sadness and sadness isn't depression. Sadness is largely temporary, you feel bad about something for awhile you eventually get over it and back to (what our brains tell us is) normal. Depression, or the main aspect of it, is the feeling of hopelessness that might come along with sadness but aren't completely mutually exclusive. That feeling of hopelessness can last for a long time, can dominate all other feelings and ultimately be the most destructive part of depression. So with that in mind do these moments that resonate with us in fiction hold back that hopelessness and remind us that sadness is temporary? That's what I like to think. It doesn't stop us from being sad it reminds us that hopelessness doesn't have to go along with it... I just said the same thing twice.

As you can see I've thought a lot about this lol. Depression sucks and it's a hard thing to wrap your mind around. Recognizing triggers and when triggers activate leaps of logic that makes us think we should feel a certain way is a huge part of it for me. There is a hard middle ground in all of this that is extremely hard to find but it's there. Anyway, bust of luck duder! and to be the 100th person to say this I'm here to chat when things get overbearing. Having someone there that can make since of the mess inside of our heads can be really helpful.

One last thing to remember depression is not your identity and there is a lot more that makes up a person than whats wrong with them.

Thanks for your post!

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Thanks dude, same here.

SOMA has an incredible story, and there's no shame in being moved to tears over it. I'm so glad it touched you like that. I wish I could offer digital hugs.

...but are these real hugs, or just a century-old scan of hugs in an old browser?

Huggy hug hug. That made me laugh dude, thanks!

@fatalbanana: Thanks for your thoughts dude, I enjoyed reading your experience as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.