Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOMA

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2015

A horror game from Frictional Games. Set at the bottom of the ocean, it explores themes of the self, humanity, the mind, and consciousness.

SOMA is out (+ trailer)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, you might remember me as that guy that got a bit excited about Soma a few months back.

Here I am to be a bit more excited. Soma is open for pre-orders on Steam, and releases one month from now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282140/

Worth noting that there is a tie-in prequel movie (called 'Depth' apparently) exploring what happens to the denizens of PATHOS before the events of the game. When that comes out, I have no clue (though there are clips from it in that ARG thread, isn't that just neat?)

Edit: Also, totally forgot, a new trailer did come out just some weeks ago (during E3). Seems to point towards a lot of great creepy and spooky sci-fi shenanigans, which is my kind of thing.

If Frictional can pull off the existential crisis kind of thing they are going for, this could be another excellent game of 2015 (as though we already didn't have enough).

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Preordered, hope it doesn't look like street trash from hell on my laptop.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I don't feel like I need to pre-purchase it right now, but I'm definitely excited. I've been following Frictional ever since Penumbra, and I can't wait to play SOMA. I will say though, PATHOS is a terrible thing to name a place...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4 gamer_152  Moderator

This seemed to fly up out of nowhere, I've not seen anything on Soma since the original trailer way back. I'm not a preorder guy and I'm a bit sceptical about that movie, but I'm really excited to see what Frictional have here. Even if this game is going to work almost solely off of the concepts Amnesia put down, it's going to be exciting.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By glots

Ohey, this'll be out next week! Might grab a copy for PS4.

Loading Video...

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery: I'm really digging the creature variety and general creep factor in that trailer. Looking forward to playing this.
    Apparently the tie-in movie is to come out same day as the game. Where the people that are stating got this information from, I have no idea. It's an odd move for sure, releasing the movie a few days before game release may have made more sense (or maybe the film itself contains spoilers for the game, I don't know).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@glottery: I'm really digging the creature variety and general creep factor in that trailer. Looking forward to playing this.

Apparently the tie-in movie is to come out same day as the game. Where the people that are stating got this information from, I have no idea. ...

Here's the IMDB page

It says the movie comes out Sept 22 2015. Same day as the game.

There are other fan sites, fan wiki sites, and various things around the net about it as well as a Gamespot article, but I'm not going to look for all that. If you really care for more info you can google it or whatever haha

I believe the movie will be released on Steam. I haven't really checked, though, beyond a fan wiki saying it will be released on Steam.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Yeah, I guess my point is that most of those are secondary sources. Seeing as there's so many of them, I'm going to trust it. The clips in the ARG revealed pretty reasonable production values + acting ability, so it's probably something to look forward to.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By cornbredx

@adequatelyprepared: Ya, as far as I know the ARG videos were produced by the same people as the movie so it seems pretty cool to me.

I don't remember where but I feel like Frictional has announced the dates together (the movie and the game). It may be on one of the teaser trailers or something- I really can't remember now where I saw it. The only thing I can find recently (from Yesterday) was a post Thomas (one of the developers that posts blogs and stuff on their forums a lot) where he was asked if the movie would be released alongside SOMA on the 22nd. He said "No", but wasn't anymore specific in answering.

So, I don't know if it's not releasing on the 22nd, or if it is and he just means they are technically separate releases? I don't know what's up with it- they're being very coy about answering much about it over at Frictional.

Source

Ya, weird. Hopefully it's just all part of their plan. We'll see.

Edit: Later in the thread he goes on to deny a movie tie in to the game even exists. So, all I can tell is that he is being coy haha

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so I finally started my pre-load, and the thing will be 20GB big (though download itself is just 9.5GB).
    I know that basing the quality of a game around download size is a bit dumb, but considering the nature of the game, that is a pretty hefty amount of space it needs. I'm expecting either a lot of one-off assets, such as dialogue or textures/models, or just general high fidelity in the graphical department. Either way, it's something to be tentatively a bit excited about.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Okay, so I finally started my pre-load, and the thing will be 20GB big (though download itself is just 9.5GB).

I know that basing the quality of a game around download size is a bit dumb, but considering the nature of the game, that is a pretty hefty amount of space it needs. I'm expecting either a lot of one-off assets, such as dialogue or textures/models, or just general high fidelity in the graphical department. Either way, it's something to be tentatively a bit excited about.

I mean Thomas Grip has said the game is much more involved with storytelling than any of their previous games. More active, with plenty of voice actors. So it makes sense. Definitely them upping production.

So god damn excited.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it won't happen but I'd love for GBeast to do a let's play of this.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I pre ordered this, which is something I don't do much of these days. Bad reasoning, but I will take a chance with the nominal 10% off.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Reviews have started coming in:

• IGN - 8.1/10
    • Destructoid - 9/10
    • The Jimquisition 8/10
    • GameSpot - 9/10
    • Rely on Horror - 9.5/10
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game's out now on Steam and Gog!

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game's out now on Steam and Gog!

And Depth is MIA. We'll have to keep our eyes open for it.
    Anyway, really digging what I have played so far. So far it seems as though Semken's consciousness at that moment in time was copied to the robot when he used the pilot's chair. The logs refer to a strange electromagnetic burst followed by Semken having some headaches. Semken-bot seems to only remember up until the moment of being in the pilot's chair as well, despite Semken having died via robot ambush. Why Simon wakes up in that pilot chair, along with why the hell the logs still make references to both Simon and Munshi using the machine in 2015 despite it now being in the 2100s is still a mystery.

We should probably make a story discussion thread at some point.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I totally forgot about this in all the metal gear excitement. Happy to see its getting positive reviews, I have stayed away from any media beyond the first couple of trailers and am looking forward to having the pants scared off me?, Amnesia was something special and I hope Frictional can deliver the same type of tension and nervousness that it did with that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What have I done...I just spent hours Gone Homing in the first location (i.e. messing around with physics inside someone's home...) I stopped after the frame rate hit 5 after shoving almost every item that I could into the oven >__>
    Maybe I'll actually play the game for real tomorrow sometime...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo man fuck the ocean

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will this be hitting PSN today? I've yet to see it in the store.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...I look forward to watching Patrick play this, because I'm too much of a wuss.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will this be hitting PSN today? I've yet to see it in the store.

I bought and downloaded it on PS4 eight hours ago so yeah, probably.

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By davidmerrick

The hell? I'll sign out and back into PSN to see what happens.

UPDATE: Had to go to the official SOMA site, find the link to the PS Store and download from there. Weird.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bybeach

I began playing it this morning, and before I quit to go to the dentist, it started to get interesting.

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By mathey

Scoops is rolling out his playthrough on YouTube.

My reductive impressions based on the first hour he's posted: its like Amnesia, but with robots.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up the PS4 version since it has a PS+ discount. Hopefully I'll be able to play some this weekend.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So is this something to check out or no?

Basically, I want to know if it is garbage or not (it seems like it's good?) and which version to get (PS4 vs PC). I'd prefer to get it on PS4 unless it's a buggy poorly running mess or it looks horrible compared to the PC version, which tends to not be the case these days.

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By davidmerrick

It looks and plays fine on PS4. If you prefer games to run at 60fps you're out of luck, but I think a smooth 30fps looks more natural so this is fine for me.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Wuddel
    Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blah, bought it on PS4 and then immediately remembered the apparently bad download speeds. I'm not sure I've ever bought a big game off PSN before.

Could've downloaded it through Steam in like 5 mins. Bah whatever.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have played this for about 5 hours today and I'm really really enjoying it! I recommend playing with a good pair of headphones.

The game looks really good and has a fantastic atmosphere. I'm playing on Ps4 and it runs well for the most part but the initial load is far too long and there is some pretty bad hitching when the game saves.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seikenfreak

So I think I've played Soma for a couple hours now. Picked it up for PS4 as I mentioned.

I've run into a spot where it has crashed twice back to back. Not at exactly the same moment but within a minute or two of each other.

Hoping I can get it to work or figure out what it is because the game is definitely moving along, gradually becoming more intriguing, visually striking, and creepy.

Edit: Eh yea. Error code CE-34878-0 on PS4. It's crashed about 8 times now, all of them either at a certain sentence during a dialogue sequence or in that specific room where the interaction happens. This sucks. Tried rebooting PS4, disabling network connection, and walking around interacting and exploring as much of the area before triggering the sequence..

Edit2: Yay! I was able to get through it by loading an older save.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.