Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOMA

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2015

A horror game from Frictional Games. Set at the bottom of the ocean, it explores themes of the self, humanity, the mind, and consciousness.

Will this be another deserted space station/ship game?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Something I would kinda of love to see out of this type of game is to have it take place on a mostly still functioning location. Survival Horror hates to put the player in places with any amount of life in them, as a means of making the atmosphere more creepy and menacing. But I kind of find it cheap. Games like Dead Space or System Shock both put the players in environments where everything had already gone to hell long before and you were just seeing the aftermath. (Issac Clarke especially seems to always appear on the scene when things have gone bad already) To be on board the station as things slowly start to fall apart would be way more interesting. A good example of this (Although not horror) from another medium is the Doctor Who Episode The Impossible Planet. The Viewer is brought on board just as things start to get weird and the strangeness of the situation is turned up gradually.

What I find brilliant about these trailers is that the characters aren't aware of what's going on, they just are doing their jobs trying to figure out some malfunction in their systems. There aren't any trails of blood and bodies hanging all over to tell them that things are scary. The terror comes in from what you expect to happen with the robot and what actually does.

The Amnesia people have leveraged creepy/abandoned locations a bit too much and I think it's time for them to try a slightly more unique horror setting besides some freaky place your character just happens to wake up in one night. If they can build a world and then let you start seeing that world break apart gradually, I think it would be vastly more compelling then the standard horror faire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.