Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Adventure 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 05, 2001

Sonic Adventure 2 is a 2001 sequel to Sonic Adventure. It marks the debut appearance of Shadow the Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat, and is the first ever Sonic title where Dr. Eggman is playable.

More than 40 hours Into Sonic Adventure 2... No regrets.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

Edited By Eder

Sonic Adventure 2 is still a game I enjoy to this day. I know haters are gonna hate. BUT just listening to the music of each stage gets me pumped to play it. With the release of the XBLA and PSN version I decided to try it out again. I don't do much these days so I decided to look back at something I had not done in a long time. Well actually two things: write about games I play and complete (100%) a game.

As I write this I only need 1 emblem in the game. There are 180 in total in the game. Once you obtain all these emblems you complete the game and unlock a special bonus stage.

Why did I do all this? Why is this game so important to me that I must complete it while there are so many great new games to play? The only answer that comes to me is nostalgia. I didn't grow up with the Dreamcast but it just made such an impact in it's short life.

I never owned a Nintendo 64 or a Playstation. So the Dreamcast was my first true 3D gaming console. It seems that even though I had seen those other consoles it just isn't the same when you own a system. Had I owned one maybe things would be different.

Back to Sonic Adventure 2. This game just fixed a lot of things wrong with Sonic Adventure and brought a lot of mechanics that are still in Sonic games today. The combo system that was implemented to reward you for killing enemies in a row is genious. Grinding feels great. Overall its a more focused and polished experience. Sure the camera can get annoying a lot of times but not always.

What I'm trying get across with this is that if you 100% a game, I guess you REALLY like it. Some games are better left to just our memories. You end up playing them again for like 10 minutes and say "What was I thinking!?!". After 40 hours of Sonic Adventure 2 I can honestly say: "Worth it".

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Eder

Sonic Adventure 2 is still a game I enjoy to this day. I know haters are gonna hate. BUT just listening to the music of each stage gets me pumped to play it. With the release of the XBLA and PSN version I decided to try it out again. I don't do much these days so I decided to look back at something I had not done in a long time. Well actually two things: write about games I play and complete (100%) a game.

As I write this I only need 1 emblem in the game. There are 180 in total in the game. Once you obtain all these emblems you complete the game and unlock a special bonus stage.

Why did I do all this? Why is this game so important to me that I must complete it while there are so many great new games to play? The only answer that comes to me is nostalgia. I didn't grow up with the Dreamcast but it just made such an impact in it's short life.

I never owned a Nintendo 64 or a Playstation. So the Dreamcast was my first true 3D gaming console. It seems that even though I had seen those other consoles it just isn't the same when you own a system. Had I owned one maybe things would be different.

Back to Sonic Adventure 2. This game just fixed a lot of things wrong with Sonic Adventure and brought a lot of mechanics that are still in Sonic games today. The combo system that was implemented to reward you for killing enemies in a row is genious. Grining feels great. Overall its a more focused and polished experience. Sure the camera can get annoying a lot of times but not always.

What I'm trying get across with this is that if you 100% a game, I guess you REALLY like it. Some games are better left to just our memories. You end up playing them again for like 10 minutes and say "What was I thinking!?!". After 40 hours of Sonic Adventure 2 I can honestly say: "Worth it".

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I won't fault you for enjoying Sonic Adventure 2, I loved that game on the Gamecube as a kid. I completed it several times.

I don't want to go back to it, though. I shall let the good memories rest.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I have a file that has 130 plus hours (on my gamecube) and I think I have only 80% of the emblems.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

You're not alone. Both Sonic Adventure games are definitely guilty pleasures for me.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved that as a younger person for GameCube as well, I spent hours and hours in the Chao garden making the hardest to get Chao. I'm still really proud of that game save...

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By linkster7

I loved the GC version, I will still from time to time get "live and learn" stuck on in my head. But I'm nervous to go back to it, doubt it holds up to my nostalgia.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Flappy

I can't begin to tell you how much time I put into the SA titles back on the Dreamcast. Between the gameplay and the tunes, I just couldn't put them down.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I ruined it for myself this summer when I decided to put in my friends copy for a spin. Oh man. The camera. The camera. Before that point, I was content with letting it be a cherished childhood memory, but now I have to side with the people who say that Sonic was never good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

As a young lad, I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 a lot. But it is one of those games that I do not want to ever play again, because I don't want my memories ruined.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tyxja

Wow dude. Glad to hear you enjoy it so much.

It makes me feel like less of an outcast for still enjoying it!

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By serpentenema

I played both of the Sonic Adventure games on the Dreamcast when I was a kid and the first game stands out to me for being the first game where the music made my physically cringe. but I never got to play as super sonic because I couldn't bring myself to finish the Big the Cat or Amy missions.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By csl316

Adventure 1 blew our minds back in the day. I don't think they hold up, but more power to ya!

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@ArbitraryWater said:

I ruined it for myself this summer when I decided to put in my friends copy for a spin. Oh man. The camera. The camera. Before that point, I was content with letting it be a cherished childhood memory, but now I have to side with the people who say that Sonic was never good.

I went back revisit both of the SA games on Dreamcast a couple years ago and holy shit, my poor memories...

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dungbootle

They definitely need a updated Chao Garden in a future Sonic game. Or even a standalone, but that's probably not gonna happen.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

God that game was pretty bad, but I put a unholy amount of time in the chao garden.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.