Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Adventure

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 27, 1998

Sonic the Hedgehog and friends finally returned to the spotlight in this 1999 Dreamcast launch title.

I roll my eyes every time this happens, Sega.(updated 9/23)

• 78 results
    Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

Edited By Captainlunchbox

So Sega just announced a re-release of Sonic Adventure coming to the XBLA.I know, crazy, right? 
    Sega re-re-re-re-re-releasing their mediocre blue mascot's formerly decent games is really starting to just wear on me. It's so sad. It's as if Sega keeps pleading it's case like a sweaty, nervous drug addict begging for more money- "Hey, guys, uh remember when we were good?! Please remember when we were good..."  
    And even worse? People eat that shit up. They do. They buy it. Does nobody still have a Genesis or a Dreamcast laying around anymore? Really? You've gotta go give Sega another 10 or 20 bucks so they can keep pulling this shit? So they don't have to come up with new ideas or actually be good enough at what they do that they shouldn't have to be playing on our nostalgia? Come on.  
    And they keep talking like this new XBLA episodic game they're coming out with is this new revelation. Like Sonic is finally back or something. The Sonic Advance game and the SOnic Rush games are pure Sonic games and are actually quite decent. Well decent until you realize that the Sonic games always just devolve into a speedy platformer on auto-pilot with  a boss fight at the end. 

Update 9/23: 
    So I just listened to the Bombcast and wow, they really trashed SA. Not just because it sucks, but because Sega wants you to pay an extra 5 bucks for the DX stuff that a lot of people thought was going to the the version they released. Sonic Adventure DX was not a piece of DLC originally, it was an entire game. The fact that they ported the original version and then expect people to pay for the "DX content" is super shitty. So have fun bending over and taking another one from Sega all the people who wasted their time defending this re-release.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Captainlunchbox

So Sega just announced a re-release of Sonic Adventure coming to the XBLA.I know, crazy, right? 
    Sega re-re-re-re-re-releasing their mediocre blue mascot's formerly decent games is really starting to just wear on me. It's so sad. It's as if Sega keeps pleading it's case like a sweaty, nervous drug addict begging for more money- "Hey, guys, uh remember when we were good?! Please remember when we were good..."  
    And even worse? People eat that shit up. They do. They buy it. Does nobody still have a Genesis or a Dreamcast laying around anymore? Really? You've gotta go give Sega another 10 or 20 bucks so they can keep pulling this shit? So they don't have to come up with new ideas or actually be good enough at what they do that they shouldn't have to be playing on our nostalgia? Come on.  
    And they keep talking like this new XBLA episodic game they're coming out with is this new revelation. Like Sonic is finally back or something. The Sonic Advance game and the SOnic Rush games are pure Sonic games and are actually quite decent. Well decent until you realize that the Sonic games always just devolve into a speedy platformer on auto-pilot with  a boss fight at the end. 

Update 9/23: 
    So I just listened to the Bombcast and wow, they really trashed SA. Not just because it sucks, but because Sega wants you to pay an extra 5 bucks for the DX stuff that a lot of people thought was going to the the version they released. Sonic Adventure DX was not a piece of DLC originally, it was an entire game. The fact that they ported the original version and then expect people to pay for the "DX content" is super shitty. So have fun bending over and taking another one from Sega all the people who wasted their time defending this re-release.

OrigamiDriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OrigamiDriller

Yes, Sega is the only company to re-release their past games. 

If you are so upset about it, then don't buy it. But putting it out on the XBLA gives some people who never had the chance to play it before to give it a try.  

It seems kind of silly that you're even mad, since you clearly cannot be appeased in the first place. You're upset with Sonic 4, a game they are finally trying to do right by, and you haven't even played it.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I don't remember ever stating that Sega was the only company to do re-releases: It just does them more often and  to replace any sense of responsibility or creativity they should have as developers and that doesn't sit well with me.
     I'm not upset with "Sonic 4" (which, seriously, that's only "4"?) I just think it's silly how they've been marketing it. And while it is good that they are, as you said, trying to do right- all this Sonic-themed shovelware they've been putting out, combined with re-release after re-release; it's just frustrating to see one of my favorite old game companies flounder this badly. 

And of course I won't buy it, I played that game 10 years ago. I didn't touch the re-release, Sonic DX.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zityz

Sega is still making good games, it's just unfortunate that Sonic isn't apart of that anymore. Personally, they should dump Sonic for a few years or so and start working on some damn Billy Hatcher shit. Billy Hatcher 3DS game, and maybe a Hatcher game for the Wii or Multiplatform.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

People keep buying Pokemon, thats the same game reiterated to damnation 
     People keep buying Call of Duty..see above 
    People keep buying Halo..see above  
     People keep buying Mario..see above.
    If it sells, they'll repackage it and sell it. That's life.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Jazz, you're referring to sequels. I'm referring to re-releases. You can get into the semantics of reiteration all you want, but bottom line, there are still enough new and enhanced features to make those sequels. And that's a debate for another day.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jazz

You call those pokemon sequels? really? 
    My point still stands. They're out to make money...What are you gonna do about it?

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Well seeing as I took the leap from Red/Blue to Platinum (and wasn't stupid enough to buy every game in between), I'd say it was a sequel, definitely.  
     There has to be a degree of reiteration or else it loses its identity and therefore cannot be considered a sequel.

And yes they're out to make money, duh. It's what businesses do. I'm saying this more to the people that have been buying the same 5 games from their used and abused mascot are as much to blame for this as Sega is. And what am I gonna do about it? I'm just gonna think on the fond memories I have of putting 30 hours into Sonic adventure, beating it thoroughly, having an awesome time- and of course not buy the re-release.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jazz

We have very different ideas about sequels...but as you say, thats for another time. 
    So what you're really saying is that you don't like the direction Sega is going in and the lack of resources they put towards new games...underneath all the whining about the release of Sonic Adventure?

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By kalmis

I agree with most what are you saying, but still will be probably getting this. Never finished the game, but trophys and HD I will.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @kalmis: The game's got a pretty spectacular finale, so I can't fault you for that. I just wish Sega would apply the thinking and experimentation they used back then in today's gaming climate.
    RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By RankRabbit

Well, I actually liked Sonic Adventure and I don't have a Dreamcast anymore, so call me a sucker! I'm buying.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @RankRabbit: Haha, you and legions of other people. I can't buy into it, but I sincerely hope you enjoy it.
    theredace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By theredace

I want Sega to do to Sonic what Disney is doing to Mickey.  I don't mean give him a mohawk, a gun, and a 'tude (so help me God).  I mean release a game with a certain adult sensibility to the characterization of Sonic.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By drac96

This is only the second re-release of this game isn't it? The first was for Gamecube, and had a decent amount of extra features. The gap between that and the original release was 4 years. The gap between that release and this new one is 7 years. I think that's a reasonable amount of time. 

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @drac96: I would say that the time lapse for this single game is reasonable, definitely. But in the case of mining an old franchise in general, it's just happening too frequently.
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @Jazz:   Whining about Pokemon games because of your confusion about the basic definition of what a sequel is doesn't change the fact that Sega is just getting lazy now. The good games they have been putting out have fuck-all to do with Sonic and I think that's for the better. I'm not overlooking the fact that there are people who haven't played it and now they have an opportunity to- but this wasn't done for those people. This game is ten years old now and there are better 3d platformers out there. It's dated. 
    Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Strubes

To be fair, Sony and Microsoft had meetings that they set up with Sega so that they could figure out what Dreamcast games Sega would put up for download on their respect consoles. Of course it takes two to tango, but it wasn't like Sega did this out of the blue. And fans are able to vote on which Dreamcast games they would want to see a re-release of on current gen consoles with added achievements/trophies. Price is another interesting point to think of. To me though, I wouldn't mind having a Sonic Adventure that doesn't have laboring load times, slightly enhanced graphics, and added trophies for $10 or $15.

All this talk is now making me want to go vote on the next Dreamcast games they'll bring to XBLA and PSN. Come onnnnn, Silver! (Long shot I know...)

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @Strubes: I guess it's just that the only DC I wanted to play I already have played- and since they probably won't be doing the more obscure ones, I don't even care about whatever positive aspects there might be.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Don't buy it and don't get mad when they re-release it for people who want to play it but got rid of it or never played it.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @SethPhotopoulos:   Buy it and don't get mad when someone else comments on a software company's blatant laziness.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Captainlunchbox said:

" @SethPhotopoulos:   Buy it and don't get mad when someone else comments on a software company's blatant laziness. "

What? 
    I must've struck a nerve.
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Nah, just seems kinda futile telling someone not to feel a certain way when they've already kinda put it out there. But I wasn't sure so I thought I'd try suggesting it to you. Sure enough, it doesn't work. :P

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yeah, we all know Sonic Adventure is a game that, while initially praised when it came out, has aged extremely poorly (especially in comparison to something like Mario 64). 

So what if 12 year old children (i.e. the people who buy sonic games now) will get to experience the absolute horror that is Big the Cat's fishing minigame? That's their own reward. Complaining about the modern state of the sonic franchise is something so incredibly rote that it need not even be discussed anymore.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I laughed out loud at this. I hated Big's fishing game so much but I got through it just to 100 % his part of the game.  I simply felt the need to vent on Sega and maybe promote some form of discussion so I posted.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " Nah, just seems kinda futile telling someone not to feel a certain way when they've already kinda put it out there. But I wasn't sure so I thought I'd try suggesting it to you. Sure enough, it doesn't work. :P "
    You could say the same thing about Sega re-releasing Sonic since they are doing it.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By WickedCestus

Here's the problem with Sonic Adventure:

It's complete shit. And that's coming from someone who loved it at first. Practically unplayable today.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MushroomSamba

Eh, I don't really care about them re-releasing games like Sonic Adventure. After all, Sonic 4 and Colors are on the way, so it's not like it stymied new material.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " So what if 12 year old children (i.e. the people who buy sonic games now) will get to experience the absolute horror that is Big the Cat's fishing minigame? That's their own reward. "
    More like: so what if 12 year old children will get to experience the absolute majesty of Jon St. John's best VA performance? That's their own reward.

Always bet on Big the Cat.
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @SethPhotopoulos: ZING!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ajamafalous

Also, that game had a kickin' theme song:

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    " So what if 12 year old children (i.e. the people who buy sonic games now) will get to experience the absolute horror that is Big the Cat's fishing minigame? That's their own reward. "
    More like: so what if 12 year old children will get to experience the absolute majesty of Jon St. John's best VA performance? That's their own reward.   Always bet on Big the Cat. "
    I figuratively just shit down my neck in surprise. But that doesn't change the fact that, even above the abysmal camera, cheesy story, and yes, the incredibly dudetacular late 90s soundtrack, those fishing segments are literally the worst part of Sonic Adventure.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    More like: so what if 12 year old children will get to experience the absolute majesty of Jon St. John's best VA performance? That's their own reward.   Always bet on Big the Cat. "
    I figuratively just shit down my neck in surprise. But that doesn't change the fact that, even above the abysmal camera, cheesy story, and yes, the incredibly dudetacular late 90s soundtrack, those fishing segments are literally the worst part of Sonic Adventure. "
    The fishing is the true downfall.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ajamafalous
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    I figuratively just shit down my neck in surprise. But that doesn't change the fact that, even above the abysmal camera, cheesy story, and yes, the incredibly dudetacular late 90s soundtrack, those fishing segments are literally the worst part of Sonic Adventure. "
    Are you sarcastically insulting the soundtrack? Because I fucking love the soundtrack, to both this and Sonic Adventure 2.

Though you're absolutely right in saying that all of Big's missions were terrible.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    Are you sarcastically insulting the soundtrack? Because I fucking love the soundtrack, to both this and Sonic Adventure 2.

Though you're absolutely right in saying that all of Big's missions were terrible. "
    Adventure 2 was a great soundtrack. 

I also vastly prefer it's gameplay since they stream lined sonic's move-set, Shadow was Sonic pretty much, and the Robotnik and Tails stages were at least playable.  Knuckles and Rougue, Rouge, ROOGE!, whatever went on to long sometimes although easy levels.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Jazz said:
    " People keep buying Pokemon, thats the same game reiterated to damnation  People keep buying Call of Duty..see above People keep buying Halo..see above   People keep buying Mario..see above.If it sells, they'll repackage it and sell it. That's life. "
    Ya fuck squeals! I hate when theres more of a game I love. Fucking hippies
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ajamafalous
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @ArbitraryWater said:

" @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:

Though you're absolutely right in saying that all of Big's missions were terrible. "
    Adventure 2 was a great soundtrack.  I also vastly prefer it's gameplay since they stream lined sonic's move-set, Shadow was Sonic pretty much, and the Robotnik and Tails stages were at least playable.  Knuckles and Rougue, Rouge, ROOGE!, whatever went on to long sometimes although easy levels. "
    I definitely preferred SA2 to SA in nearly every aspect.

Also, the goddamn Chao Garden. I probably spent well over 100 hours just with that.

Also, MORE THEME SONGS:

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Animasta
    @theredace said:
    " I want Sega to do to Sonic what Disney is doing to Mickey.  I don't mean give him a mohawk, a gun, and a 'tude (so help me God).  I mean release a game with a certain adult sensibility to the characterization of Sonic. "
    yes attract MORE furries, that's exactly what sonic needs.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @ArbitraryWater said:

" @ajamafalous said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:

Adventure 2 was a great soundtrack.  I also vastly prefer it's gameplay since they stream lined sonic's move-set, Shadow was Sonic pretty much, and the Robotnik and Tails stages were at least playable.  Knuckles and Rougue, Rouge, ROOGE!, whatever went on to long sometimes although easy levels. "
    I definitely preferred SA2 to SA in nearly every aspect.

Also, the goddamn Chao Garden. I probably spent well over 100 hours just with that.

Also, MORE THEME SONGS:

"
    Chao garden was awesome! 

I spent a lot of time there. 

Sonic seems to have been consistent in soundtracks.  The only good thing in 06 was the soundtrack.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ajamafalous:  Boom. Exhibit A.  

Any music track that uses the phrase "follow my rainbow" is a serious victim of late 90s pop and general dudetacularness.

EDIT: Oh, and one last thing. I liked SA2 a ton when it came out, as it was my first real Gamecube game, but I don't think I will ever play it again, as doing so would probably be the equivalent of raping my childhood memories with the harsh truth of reality.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Animasta
    @ArbitraryWater said:

" @ajamafalous:  Boom. Exhibit A.  

Any music track that uses the phrase "follow my rainbow" is a serious victim of late 90s pop and general dudetacularness. "
    dude, sonic adventure 2 had so much hilarious rap that you can't fault it.

kick the rock, anybody?
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By rawrz

I dont really see an issue. Sonic was once an exclusive title so now that it hasnt been its been rereleased on other platforms to give more people a chance to experience it if they didnt. Its not like the classic Mario games havnt been rereleased a ton of times.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ajamafalous
    @ArbitraryWater said:

" @ajamafalous:  Boom. Exhibit A.  

Any music track that uses the phrase "follow my rainbow" is a serious victim of late 90s pop and general dudetacularness.  EDIT: Oh, and one last thing. I liked SA2 a ton when it came out, as it was my first real Gamecube game, but I don't think I will ever play it again, as doing so would probably be the equivalent of raping my childhood memories with the harsh truth of reality. "
    I had a tough time deciding whether to link that song or the main theme because they're both so awesome. Went with the main theme just because I had already linked the main theme from the first game.

YO YOU REMEMBER WHEN SONIC JUMPED OUT OF THAT HELICOPTER AND GRINDED DOWNHILL THROUGH THE CITY ON A SHEET OF METAL TO ESCAPE THE COPS?! THAT WAS SIIIIIIIIICK
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ajamafalous: YO DAWG THERES LIKE A DARK HEDGEHOG NAMED SHADOW AND HE IS SO METAL I WISH HE COULD HAVE A GUN OR LIKE DRIVE VEHICLES OR SOMETHING TOTALLY BRODILICIOUS LIKE THAT ALSO I AM 12 AND WHAT IS THIS
    Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Strubes
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " @Strubes: I guess it's just that the only DC I wanted to play I already have played- and since they probably won't be doing the more obscure ones, I don't even care about whatever positive aspects there might be. "
    I understand your point. But there's always the other side of course. If you're one and done with it, then nobody can blame you. But for others, the added convenience of just downloading the game to their hard drive, and added features warrant a purchase for them.
    sonicpsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sonicpsycho

"Does nobody still have a Genesis or a Dreamcast laying around anymore? Really?" 

*Looks to the right* 

*Sees Dreamcast and Genesis sitting right next to each other*  

Feels good man.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By 234r2we232
    @supermike6 said:
    " Here's the problem with Sonic Adventure: It's complete shit. And that's coming from someone who loved it at first. Practically unplayable today. "
    What this guy said.
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @Strubes: Check the Bombcast- you gotta pay a fee for the DX content. Total bullshit.
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Sonic the Hedgehog's enduring popularity always leaves me utterly confused.  Who are these people? 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By ch13696
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " @Strubes: Check the Bombcast- you gotta pay a fee for the DX content. Total bullshit. "
    Well, how much is Sonic Adventure and the DX content? If it comes out to like $10-15 then I think that's reasonable $20 would probably be pushing it. Reason being because I liked all the Sonic games from the first Sonic to Sonic Adventure. After the first Sonic Adventure, that's when it started getting weird. Look at it this way. At least they're not trying to re-release Sonic Heroes. I appreciate them re-releasing something that was actually a hit back then. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.