Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 16, 2012

A sequel to the 2010 kart racer featuring Sega mascots driving vehicles that adapt to land, sea and air.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE. Game's great! Also, demo is now available.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

Unsurprisingly, the sequel to the coolest and only racing game I've played in the past eight years is being met with critical acclaim, most notably from Eurogamer who gave the game a 9/10earlier today. A quote:

It's managed to step out of Mario Kart's shadow, for sure, but the real achievement is one that's going to be much more thrilling for the Sega fans it so eagerly panders to. This manages to be more than just a tribute to the great and good of Sega's past - it does enough to earn its own place alongside them.

I was already looking forward to this, but now I might have to postpone getting the reportedly disappointing Paper Mario: Sticker Star in favour of this game.

Here's the launch trailer, which features a bunch of kids getting blown in their faces.

And here's the link to the demo that's up on Xbox Live Marketplace right now. The demo features two tracks, one from Panzer Dragoon and one from Golden Axe. You can only play as Sonic. I heard the demo should be on the WiiU on launch day as well.

The following characters are confirmed to be in the game (via Wikipedia):

Character

Origin

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog

Miles "Tails" Prower

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Amy Rose

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Knuckles the Echidna

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Doctor Eggman

Sonic the Hedgehog

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Adventure 2

AiAi

Super Monkey Ball

MeeMee

Super Monkey Ball

Amigo

Samba de Amigo

Beat

Jet Set Radio

Gum

Jet Set Radio

B.D. Joe

Crazy Taxi

Gilius Thunderhead

Golden Axe

Vyse

Skies of Arcadia

Joe Musashi

Shinobi

Ulala

Space Channel 5

Pudding

Space Channel 5

Nights

Nights into Dreams...

Reala

Nights into Dreams...

AGES

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Danica Patrick

Stewart-Haas Racing

Ralph

Wreck-It Ralph

Metal Sonic

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Mii

Wii

The New Xbox Experience

Notes:

^a Nights and Reala appear as the vehicles themselves, which are piloted by a Nightopian and a Nightmaren respectively.

^b AGES is a VMU unit whose vehicle alternates between a Hornet, a Dreamcast controller, and a Tomcat. WAIT WHAT

^c Downloadable content exclusive to Bonus Edition.

^d Exclusive to Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions.

^e Exclusive to Xbox 360 version.

And if that didn't sell you, here's a remix of Vyse's theme from Skies of Arcadia, sure to cheer up anyone's day.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

It literally just got posted through the door, i'm pretty excited to play it later. I'm not entirely sure why Sega have released it at bargain bin prices in the UK on day of release, but hey cheap, new games that are (according to reviews) great.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

This game just makes me upset, because it's Sega acknowledging that people love Jet Set Radio, but basically saying fuck you, you'll never get a new one.

When that last game included Ryo from Shenmue? Well that was cruel as hell, to those fans. What a tease.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

Yeah so the game is kinda great, I do think the A.I can be a little unfair at times, but yeah it's really zippy, looks lovely and controls great. Its got a ton of Sega fanservice.

I really wasn't expecting the third race/trial to be a challenging as it was. "Hey, have you learnt to drift yet? Have you? Have you? No? well FUCK YOU!"

I learnt how to drift.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one outside of the few frame rate issues (and that achievement glitch to prevent S-ranks...which didn't happen to me). I'm glad to hear this does a great job of holding its own and doing better than its predecessor.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I think I'm going to pick up the Wii U version of the game. Also glad it's only $40.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Well that explains why Sega renewed Skies Of Arcadia. Damn it.

*Edit* Well I just downloaded and played the demo and it's actually pretty fun. I might pick this game up.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By recroulette

The thing I'm most disappointed about is the roster. They took a lot of cool characters away representing a lot of games. Easily the best part about the first one, there were a lot of games represented. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By landon

Da hell? Wreck It Ralph is in this game?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By buft

liked the first game, gonna grab this day 21 or so when its like £15, cant get enough good carting games, save myself a few bucks not having to buy a nintendo system for mario kart

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Timing

@RecSpec said:

The thing I'm most disappointed about is the roster. They took a lot of cool characters away representing a lot of games. Easily the best part about the first one, there were a lot of games represented.

Yeah I mainly used Opa-Opa and the Bonanza Bros. in S&SASRWBK so needless to say I'm a little disappointed they're left out this time.

That said; mutha. Fuckin'. Vyse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5db763973ec51
    deactivated-5db763973ec51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@RecSpec:

There's youtube videos of Alex Kidd, Shogun and (bizarrely) a football manager who seem to be coming as dlc. Maybe they went for the budget price on release and plan to make money back on a bunch of dlc, which seems like a fine idea.

I'm really enjoying the game so far, a big improvement over the last game which I also enjoyed. I'd be quite happy to drop some more money for some more characters.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By recroulette

I just saw that there is data for Team Fortress characters in the PC version. Holy shit. SEGA went all out for this one.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By MocBucket62
    @ParamedicFoetus: Yeah, to me Sega went apeshit (in a good way) with these characters as DLC. I know both Total War and Football Manager are two of Sega's most profitable IP's right now, but never would I imagine characters from those games racing against Sonic and other Sega icons. I hope the Shogun and Manager aren't PC exclusives because I would love to play as those characters!
    egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By egg

demos suck for racers I just realized. The demo will only show the lowest speed class.

Well, usually. For some reason the demo for Ridge Racer for iOS uses a speed class that was actually pretty high iirc.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By handlas

I wasn't feeling the drifting at all in the demo. The game was way more fun when you turn into a boat or a plane... I wish the whole game was just that! It also is very pretty. Seems like it's a good game overall. The Panzer Dragoon track was pretty sweet.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Vyse rocks. Skies of Arcadia rocks.

I'm buying this just for that.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By august

Fuck Sonic and all his stupid friends and... oh wait Vyse is in it... ? HMMM

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

I enjoyed what I played of the first one (admittedly only a couple hours, but still). Hope this one ends up on a Steam sale too.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tsiro

a while back I read a rumor that Vectorman was going to be in the game. my hopes and dreams were later crushed when I learned that that was in fact not the case.

the idea that I might not buy this game because of this seems petty and dumb, but it's all I got. seems neat, though. maybe I'll pick it up some day.

but man, man, Vectorman needs to be in this game.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#21  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@MikkaQ said:

This game just makes me upset, because it's Sega acknowledging that people love Jet Set Radio, but basically saying fuck you, you'll never get a new one.

When that last game included Ryo from Shenmue? Well that was cruel as hell, to those fans. What a tease.

Yeah, it's really mean to throw niche characters into a game celebrating the company as a whole, rather than just completely ignoring those franchises altogether and just having thirty Sonic characters. You should have seen my tears when the Ice Climbers were in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

@Taku128 said:

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah, it's really mean to throw niche characters into a game celebrating the company as a whole, rather than just completely ignoring those franchises altogether and just having thirty Sonic characters. You should have seen my tears when the Ice Climbers were in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

The way I see it, if they're going to just use those characters for fanservice and not actually do anything with them... why use them in the first place? It just serves to remind people of the Sega that once was. Makes me sadder than it does nostalgic.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Ryo better in this one two. He is who I used plus to remove Ryo and keep shadow is disrespectful to SEGA's own history and diverse back catalog of games.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mesoian

The game is quite good, though the character selection is slightly dissapointing.

I made a video with my day -3 impressions.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

@Mesoian: Only seen like 6 minutes of your video..and man, does the ai cheat, even on B class. I'm really struggling to get anymore than the 108 stars than I already have. The Burning Rangers track took me about 30 + attempts and I only managed 3rd position. I would hit people with the remote bomb and the tornado in the final stretch and they would recover immediately.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mesoian

@GunstarRed said:

@Mesoian: Only seen like 6 minutes of your video..and man, does the ai cheat, even on B class. I'm really struggling to get anymore than the 108 stars than I already have. The Burning Rangers track took me about 30 + attempts and I only managed 3rd position. I would hit people with the remote bomb and the tornado in the final stretch and they would recover immediately.

I'd suggest trying the sprint events. I was having a ton of trouble with the BR track until I needed to S rank the 3rd lap sprint. Once I got that down, I was winning most matches on that course.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kindgineer

Going to download the demo right now, thanks!

@RecSpec said:

I'm sorry, but if Danica Patrick doesn't excite you, than you have no business looking at a thread around this game! (sarcasm implied)

But yeah, there were tons of great characters that didn't make it. Hopefully a future version?
    Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Berserker976

No Valkyria Chronicles, no sale :(

Half-kidding.

But seriously, where is the Edelweiss?

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Timing

Got the game yesterday, played it for a few hours and I think it's a lot of fun. The tracks I've seen so far are great, especially the ones with branching paths where you can choose between different types of vehicles to transform into depending on the path you take.

I've noticed that drifting seems to be a lot less viable than in Sonic & SASR. Whereas in that game you'd eventually reach a point where winning was nigh-impossible if you weren't drifting all the time, here it seems to slow you down significantly, especially on straight paths. It's still very much recommended in corners though.

Oh, and the Skies of Arcadia track is glorious.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By JasonR86

I really liked the demo. The fact that it is $40 has me convinced that I'll pick it up after I'm done with the games I have.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

@Timing: Yeah the way the stages branch and change between rounds is amazing, I have had a few problems with the other racers being a little aggressive and knocking me off of the path i'm on, especially on the ramp that turns you into a plane in the Afterburner stage, kinda forcing you to use the boat.

I think the best stage in the game is the one from Sonic Colours as it has a Starfox-like section. It makes me wish they would have made that game for more than just the Wii.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Yet another game from Sega that parades Vyse around in my face to reignite my hopeless desire for a new Skies of Arcadia game (or at least an HD update).

KaiUnderneath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By KaiUnderneath

Played a bunch of this with a second player yesterday (and some on my own) and yeah...was shocked at how good it is. It's gorgeous, speedy and really fun. Had a lot more fun with it than any Mario Kart game I've played for a long time.

And seeing all the characters and stages is pretty great too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.