Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

A Wii U tie-in to the "Sonic Boom" spin-off television series, following Sonic the Hedgehog and his three chatty friends as they work together to foil the plans of an ancient snake-like monster.

A lot of people wanted me to make a Sonic Boom glitch montage, so I did

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

By far one of my most popular videos on my Youtube channel is a montage about glitches in Sonic 2006. With the release of Sonic Boom, a lot of people have been wondering if I was going to a video for that.

I've ended up committing to three (!) Sonic Boom videos, the first one being embedded above there. I also have plans to do a video review, as well as a second montage video -- I ended up with a lot of footage of the game breaking over and over and over, and figured nobody would want to sit through 30-45 solid minutes of that stuff.

Unfortunately, as with a lot of things in life, I figured the glitch montage would go quickly so I could focus on the video review, but, well, it's been over a month already and only the first montage is out. A combination of crummy video capture hardware mixed with Holiday insanity mixed with whatever else. It's been tough to focus.

I'm getting back on track now, though. Great things are coming!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

The music fade out when you were walking away from Amy was a true stroke of genius.

Watched your original Sonic 06 video, I've seen most of those bugs but it was awesome to see reasons why they might be happening.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

The video is great and all, but I'm more impressed that you finished the game.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Eh, I dunno. I've finished Sonic 2006 twice now (once originally, and once for a charity stream). Sonic Boom's not a great game but I'd hardly call it unplayable.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sunbrozak: Eh, I dunno. I've finished Sonic 2006 twice now (once originally, and once for a charity stream). Sonic Boom's not a great game but I'd hardly call it unplayable.

Would you say it was better than '06? I tried playing that back in the day, reached the "twist" after beating the three main stories, and couldn't play much longer than that.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thought the video was very fun, maybe that will be the lasting appeal of Sonic Boom, a poor quality game that has all sorts of intriguing oddities when it breaks in strange ways.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Would you say it was better than '06? I tried playing that back in the day, reached the "twist" after beating the three main stories, and couldn't play much longer than that.

The Last Story is "special"

Loading Video...

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blazehedgehog said:

It's absolutely better than Sonic 2006, but we're also kind of dealing in shades of "this turd doesn't smell as bad as some of the turds I've smelled."

Sonic Boom is overall a buggier, glitchier game than Sonic 2006, but its bugs are a lot less severe, I guess. Like there's stuff in Sonic 2006 that makes it skirt the edge of being objectively unplayable in the "I am physically unable to progress any further because the game doesn't work right." way.

That almost never happens in Sonic Boom. There's a lot of broken stuff, but it never outright bars your progress like Sonic 2006. They at least have that going for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I don't know how else to respond besides this.

No Caption Provided

I can't believe you played from start to finish. You brave soul.

Delerat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow, these glitches are ridiculous, but I bet it didn't affect the money they made at all. Sonic fans buy Sonic and I don't think they pay much attention to quality.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Fun video. I played through the whole game and I really didn't have any bad glitches. I guess I got lucky?

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delerat: yo, check the Miiverse for this game. It's bananas.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@dprotp said:

@delerat: yo, check the Miiverse for this game. It's bananas.

I am constantly glad that the Miiverse exists.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delerat said:

Wow, these glitches are ridiculous, but I bet it didn't affect the money they made at all. Sonic fans buy Sonic and I don't think they pay much attention to quality.

Actually... I don't think Sonic Boom ever surfaced on sales charts. If I remember right, Sonic Lost World barely broke 100k sales in its launch month. Four months in, it was at around 700k. That's abysmal.

Sonic Boom on the Wii U, from what's come out, did maybe a fourth of that. It could actually be the worst selling Sonic game in recent history.

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone ever told you that you sound exactly like Curtis Armstrong? (It's surprisingly hard to find a good clip of that guy.)

Great video by the way, made me check out your fun adventures with Sonic '06.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game should be banned purely on the basis of that awful, awful Knuckles model...

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@privodotmenit: Really? I never found the character design of Sonic great but I think the thing this game had going for it was that the characters at least look different. Though it being a tie in for a cartoon explains that.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone ever told you that you sound exactly like Curtis Armstrong? (It's surprisingly hard to find a good clip of that guy.)

Great video by the way, made me check out your fun adventures with Sonic '06.

Yes and no. Somebody once told me I sounded like Snot from American Dad, who is a parody of Booger from Revenge of the Nerds, both of which are played by Curtis Armstrong. You are the first person to hit the nail on the head directly.

I personally don't really hear the resemblance, but then again, of course I wouldn't.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Holy gee does this game look like crap graphically compared to other recent Sonic games. I wonder why that is.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying: Really? I don't think it looks so bad, outside of the obvious stuff like... shadows disappearing, or the draw distance messing up. Oh, and I guess they had to really reduce the texture quality in order to have enough memory for split screen co-op.

Actually, I guess in that context, yeah, it doesn't look great.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ToxicAntidote

I've just started watching the Game Grumps's playthrough of this, and in the seventh episode Barry shows some really janky stuff of how they have badly patched the cutscenes together. I'm so glad I'm no big Sonic fan, really, because I would so disapointed at yet another bad Sonic game.

Loading Video...

I really like watching others play through bad games though. =D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.