Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic & Knuckles

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 18, 1994

Play as Sonic or Knuckles as the power of the floating island's Master Emerald is revealed in this concluding sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (now featuring a unique lock-on technology, granting special features when "locked on" to certain other games).

Am I playing Sonic wrong?

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sunie

So, I'm currently playing Sonic and Knuckles (cuz my randomizer told me to :P) but, as always when I play any Sonic game, I have this nagging sensation that I'm playing the game "wrong".

Sonic is a character about massive speed and such, but actually going fast in the games seem like THE WORST thing to do! I keep bumping into shit, whether it's an enemy or a spring, or spikes or all of it at once. But going slow makes me eyeball the "TIME" in the upper left corner and leaves me thinking "4 minutes for one level? More like Sonic the Snail!".

I keep opting for going slow, cause I don't wanna die.

So what about it guys and gals? Am I playing Sonic "wrong" by going slow? And, if I am, how the hell are people surviving this game when going fast?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

You are supposed to go slow the first few runs to learn the level design and the timings but after that you can go really fast.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Memorization and reflexes.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

The whole "Sonic games are all about speed" is a misconception that even Sega themselves seem to have bought into after the series moved to 3D. The early games were never about running as fast as possible all the time. Skillful play of Sonic games is all about knowing when it's safe to go fast but also recognizing when you need to slow down and take things carefully. The Genesis games were designed in such a way as to make speed segments much less common than platforming segments.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Going slow is fine, and the best way to find secrets. The speed was more of a marketing thing. They're meticulously designed platformers that can be played super fast, but even after beating the 16-bit games dozens of times I tend to take it slow.

Especially once you hit the giant levels in Sonic 3 and S&K.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks! =D I guess I never thought of it like this. Reading all of your responses, this makes tons of sense now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Exile's right. You can fly through them if you've played the levels 10-15 times, but you definitely need to take it slow and meticulous your first few times through a level to learn where everything is.

Man, I really love S3&K. Hope you enjoy it!

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am actually, now that I'm actually taking my time and enjoying the level design. Finally getting the fun of the old Sonic games!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

What everyone else has said. Sonic 3 and S&K are probably the worst two games for just speeding through due to the way the levels are laid out. Even the first game only really encourages speed in Green Hill Zone. Marble and Spring Yard require a lot more skillful play, it isn't until you get to Star Light near the end of the game that you can go ultra fast again. 2 probably has the best levels to just burn through. Chemical Plant was pretty much built to be beaten without stopping.

Also if you think 4 minutes is slow I think I clocked 21 minutes in one level in the 3DS version of Lost World. That game nearly always wants you to stop moving... That game sucks.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

What everyone else has said. Sonic 3 and S&K are probably the worst two games for just speeding through due to the way the levels are laid out. Even the first game only really encourages speed in Green Hill Zone. Marble and Spring Yard require a lot more skillful play, it isn't until you get to Star Light near the end of the game that you can go ultra fast again. 2 probably has the best levels to just burn through. Chemical Plant was pretty much built to be beaten without stopping.

Also if you think 4 minutes is slow I think I clocked 21 minutes in one level in the 3DS version of Lost World. That game nearly always wants you to stop moving... That game sucks.

Yeah, one of the pretty apparent flaws of S3&K is that they didn't tweak the time bonus setting to accommodate the increased size of the levels when compared to the previous games. There are levels where it's simply impossible to get any sort of meaningful time bonus because the level is just too big. It's difficult to avoid a time over in Carnival Night, let alone get a time bonus.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're playing one that isn't Sonic 1 or 2, so yes, you are playing incorrectly.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I'll get around to those. I have them as well, but I simply rolled the dice today and got this one :)

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khessed said:

@sinusoidal: I'll get around to those. I have them as well, but I simply rolled the dice today and got this one :)

Don't listen to the naysayers, S3&K is the best in the series.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sunie

khessed said:

sinusoidal: I'll get around to those. I have them as well, but I simply rolled the dice today and got this one :)

khessed said:

sinusoidal: I'll get around to those. I have them as well, but I simply rolled the dice today and got this one :)

A game so nice, you had to call it out, twice!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It doesn't help that Sonic & Knuckles is probably the most aggravating 2D Sonic experience you can have.

(EDIT -- This is a pretty old blog, and some of the jokes I make in it are rather off-color. Apologies in advance.)

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice write-up!

I haven't really touched the other classic Sonic games (apart from 1 when I was a kid and the only thing I remember is the stellar Marble Zone track) yet. I don't see the issues, yet. Maybe it'll all flip on its ass as soon as I start playing Sonic 2 :P

DiamondDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned, the Sonic series ended with Sonic 2… that being said, I think the main thing to remember is that the whole 'speed' thing was mostly advertising hype.

You really can blast through most levels, but you need to know the levels inside out if you want to have any sort of fun doing it. Otherwise, it just ends up being frustrating.

viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are you using to randomly select your games to play? I'm kind of interested in doing something similar.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khessed said:

listen to this guy. he's been right in all posts in this thread.

and after multiple play throughs when you are actually speeding through the game quickly pretty consistently its a great feeling.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By crithon

I'm reminded of an old friend in the 90s actually made it into beating every level into record time. But he was memorizing every single obstacles and the best short cuts and reacting to them at split second timing.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sunie

@viney212 said:

What are you using to randomly select your games to play? I'm kind of interested in doing something similar.

I first made a full list of my games in google sheets (I've seen somewhere that there's an easy way to export a steam game list to a CSV file, but mine was all manual.).

Then I found a formula that spits out a random game every time I open up the spreadsheet, which is as follows:

=ArrayFormula(QUERY(SORT(A2:B1328;RANDBETWEEN(SIGN(ROW(A2:A1328));1E+293);1);"select * limit 1";0))

The values it spits out is the type of console and the name of the game.

Here's my list in action

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me, it's about time for my yearly run through of all the Genesis games (just swapping 3D Blast for Sonic CD).

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

This reminds me, it's about time for my yearly run through of all the Genesis games (just swapping 3D Blast for Sonic CD).

Something like that seems really cool for the upcoming Extra Life charity drive!

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll said:

@khessed said:

listen to this guy. he's been right in all posts in this thread.

and after multiple play throughs when you are actually speeding through the game quickly pretty consistently its a great feeling.

yesssss you guys fucking get it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By csl316

@khessed said:

@csl316 said:

Something like that seems really cool for the upcoming Extra Life charity drive!

Oh man, I'd love to do that if I knew how.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@khessed said:

@csl316 said:

Oh man, I'd love to do that if I knew how.

What exactly? Streaming it or joining the Giant Bomb Extra Life group? Streaming can be done with a program called OBS (provided you wanna run the games on PC, otherwise you'll need some hardware) and there's a forum thread on the GBEL group around here somewheres.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.