Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2010

A Sonic Team and Dimps co-production, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the first part of the next numeric chapter (though really the twenty-sixth entry) in the adventures of Sega's longtime mascot.

Sonic & Criterion

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By siddarth0605

So I was watching the xboxalypse and while I was watching Ryan playing Burnout 3 I had a thought: I think one way to really revitalize the Sonic series would be to give it to Criterion. Sonic games are racing games in more ways than they are platformers (this was particularly evident when i was playing the 2 player racing modes in Sonic 2). Criterion is a company that knows how to make good racing games. Watching Burnout 3 last night and playing it I remembered that there was a great sense of speed and also a loss of control as you raced. I think this could really be implemented for the Sonic games really well. What are your thoughts?

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By siddarth0605

So I was watching the xboxalypse and while I was watching Ryan playing Burnout 3 I had a thought: I think one way to really revitalize the Sonic series would be to give it to Criterion. Sonic games are racing games in more ways than they are platformers (this was particularly evident when i was playing the 2 player racing modes in Sonic 2). Criterion is a company that knows how to make good racing games. Watching Burnout 3 last night and playing it I remembered that there was a great sense of speed and also a loss of control as you raced. I think this could really be implemented for the Sonic games really well. What are your thoughts?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @siddarth0605 said:
    " Sonic games are racing games in more ways than they are platformers
    This is a joke, right?
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vaiz
    @siddarth0605 said:
    " So I was watching the xboxalypse and while I was watching Ryan playing Burnout 3 I had a thought: I think one way to really revitalize the Sonic series would be to give it to Criterion. Sonic games are racing games in more ways than they are platformers (this was particularly evident when i was playing the 2 player racing modes in Sonic 2). Criterion is a company that knows how to make good racing games. Watching Burnout 3 last night and playing it I remembered that there was a great sense of speed and also a loss of control as you raced. I think this could really be implemented for the Sonic games really well. What are your thoughts? "
    They absolutely are not. The newer ones have certainly swayed that way, but that's part of what's made them so poor. Go back and play the old Genesis games, there is a heavy emphasis on precise platforming. It was only when you really knew your way around the landscape and level layout that you could manuever yourself well enough to achieve a real sense of speed. I know it's been said way too much, but speed was earned, not given. That said, Criterion can make Sonic R 2 anyday, that game is about ten years overdue.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

As much as I'd like to see Criterion do something crazy and unique for their next game, this does not seem like the sort of thing that they should be doing.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
    @FreakAche said:
    " As much as I'd like to see Criterion do something crazy and unique for their next game, this does not seem like the sort of thing that they should be doing. "
    My cousin works for criterion. (Before you ask, i don't know what they're working on lol) but last time i spoke to him they were talking about doing something new (this was following the final burnout paradise DLC). So while i agree with you that sonic isn't the key to their next project, it might be true that a mix-up is in the near future. 

Or they could just make another burnout :p
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

Sonic + Burnout's already been done. And despite what some would lead you to believe, really, it's not that bad. People just like to be over-dramatic about it because of Sonic's awful track-record as of late.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By FreakAche

@BlazeHedgehog
    I agree that it's not that bad. What I played of it, I didn't hate. Although, I didn't like it enough to make me ever want to buy it.

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By siddarth0605

I think one of the problems about the recent Sonic games is that the game seems to play itself. There doesnt seem to be a lot of control on the player's part. To me a good Sonic game needs to find that good balance between speed and platforming and most of the recent games have either swayed too much on platforming resulting in a complete lack of speed or swayed too much on speed resulting in you doing nothing but moving forward and letting the game play itself. I mean I have no idea how to fix Sonic. I do know that they shouldn't go back to 2D sonic; that shit is over.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Von

Umm... am I the only one that DON'T speed through levels, and instead go around and try to collect all the rings and secret stuff so I get a fair amount of continues and a crapload of extra lives?  I seriously hope they let me do just that in Sonic 4 too...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.