Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2010

A Sonic Team and Dimps co-production, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the first part of the next numeric chapter (though really the twenty-sixth entry) in the adventures of Sega's longtime mascot.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II Announced

Avatar image for franticdarkness
    FranticDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FranticDarkness

On Feb 8th Sega's Associate Brand Manager, Ken Balough announced Sonic 4 Episode II is in early development. Ken Balough later said:

"[....] I can tell you you are going to see new zones that look really cool.

Re-hash kind of depends on how you look at the topography. I mean; we've gone to a lot of areas - Underground mines in Sonic 2, Deserts, Lush green hills, Jungle, Cities, etc.

But yeah - the idea is to introduce new zones with things you haven't seen."

Ken also admitted that Sonic 4: Episode 1 had aspects that "could have been done better"

Ken also assured that "you definitely wont have to wait years and years a la Duke Nukem Forever."

Tails was also hinted to be in the game, thanks to Aaron Webber stating:

"Aristotle, often cited among the Greeks who wrote about Hedgehogs and their powerful wind-sensing abilities, was himself later categorized among writers and thinkers in a comparison that any Sonic fan might find quite interesting. Rumor has it, in fact, that there are two styles of science: compared as either objective or abstract. Find the false line within this paragraph itself, and you may find hidden answers of your own."

Which, when putting the clues together, refers to the essay "The Hedgehog and The Fox"

What we now so far:

-It's in early development

-The game promises new "cool" zones that we've never seen before

-Tails is said to be in it

-It's supposed to improve on Sonic 4 Episode 1's faults

-We won't have to wait forever until it's out

Sources:

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/02/25/sonic-4-episode-ii-now-in-early-development-says-ken-balough/

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/02/03/sega-celebrates-hedgehog-day-hints-at-tails-in-sonic-4-episode-2/

http://scrawlfx.com/2011/02/sega-sonic-4-episode-2-in-development-will-improve-on-episode-1 
    http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-4-episode-2-in-early-development-will-fix-things-195253.phtml    

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

The fucking physics.  The physics of the game are all wrong.  Thats why sonic 4 sucks ass.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By takua108

If they just make it feel like a high-quality level and HD graphics pack for Sonic 2, I would keep purchasing copies of the game until I ran out of money.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yanngc33

They sort of got their whole episodic release dates wrong. Plus the first episode sort of sucks

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Does anyone care?  Sonic 4 was the absolute last chance to make a good Sonic game.. and it sucked.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316
    @FranticDarkness: That's a pretty well structured post for a GB thread.  Good work.

I liked episode 1 and I'm definitely looking forward to more.  But for the love of god, come up with some new boss ideas.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By sameeeeam

I didn't really like episode 1 all that much, but I'm willing to give this a shot.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

The second episode is in "early development"? Did they learn about episodic games from Valve?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordAndrew said:
    " The second episode is in "early development"? Did they learn about episodic games from Valve? "
    When was the last time that Sega did anything right where Sonic was concerned?
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Hailinel said:
    " @LordAndrew said:
    " The second episode is in "early development"? Did they learn about episodic games from Valve? "
    When was the last time that Sega did anything right where Sonic was concerned? "
    Colours, or so I've heard.
    VSigma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VSigma100

Wow this is great to hear! I love Sonic 4: Episode 1, and absolutely can't wait for Episode 2. I can see great things from this game. Great things.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IBurningStar

I thought Episode 1 was a lazy, poorly designed, totally rehashed piece of shit, so I guess I won't be buying Episode 2.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313

Suprised that the 2nd episode isn't closer to being done as they'd have most of the stuff borrowed from episode 1 along with it just being yet another attempt to redo sonic 1 & letting the diehard fans (aka the majority people still interested in the franchise) disappointed yet again. Maybe if you add up all the sonic episodes it might add up to a whole game that you'll probably pay too much for.

VSigma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VSigma100
    @IBurningStar said:
    " I thought Episode 1 was a lazy, poorly designed, totally rehashed piece of shit, so I guess I won't be buying Episode 2. "
    Really? Sure the levels have either been borrowed, or just completely re-used, but that's the fun in the game to me. It adds a modern twist, to the good old classic levels, that we all know and love. I think that's what really sold the game for me.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IBurningStar
    @VSigma100 said:
    " @IBurningStar said:
    " I thought Episode 1 was a lazy, poorly designed, totally rehashed piece of shit, so I guess I won't be buying Episode 2. "
    Really? Sure the levels have either been borrowed, or just completely re-used, but that's the fun in the game to me. It adds a modern twist, to the good old classic levels, that we all know and love. I think that's what really sold the game for me. "
    Nostalgia is nice in small doses, but that is all the game had. I have seen these places before, I have fought these bosses before. Sure, the fights had a bit more too them, but it just wasn't enough. Nostalgia also bit them in the ass on the level design side, because I remember the Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1 and the original was better. That tedious torch "puzzle" felt horribly out of place. I don't know why they chose to revisit Metropolis, I don't know anyone that liked those levels. Marble Garden, Chemical Plant, whatever the cave place in Sonic 2 was called, those are the ones I think of when I think of old Sonic. Oh, and the game was too easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.