Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

Fixing Sonic the Hedgehog For Idiots (Introduction)

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 1

Edited By raycarter

The Sonic Franchise is in a ditch. I think that everyone who know the blue hedgehog well could conclude that Sonic just wasn't the same since his transition to 3D. His games are now targets for GT and GameSpot to ridicule, pan and beat to the ground.

So what did SEGA do wrong this time? What does it need to do in order to return to the level of games from Mario and Legend of Zelda. That's why I am writing this opinion piece. I think that I could give good advice to Sonic Team Board Room so that the Blue Hedgehog can rise again.

Now you might think "There you go again. An outsider who has no background on Sonic yapping out advice". But I've come prepared. I've done an awful lot of research and even had some hands-on experiences with the Blue Blazer. I think that my advice could, no matter how small, make a positive difference. 

But before coming to the top 3 things on SEGA's To-do list, here are the solutions to improve the Sonic franchise which I DON'T agree with.

1. Overhauling the Sonic cast

There are a lot of fans for Tails (I am a Tails fan), Knuckles, Shadow (especially) and Silver. Losing those guys would probably create an uprising within Sonic fans. It's especially painful if the new characters aren't received by those fans and are also uninteresting, resulting in an indifferent gaming public and a bitter fan-base. Not a winning formula.

2. Overhauling the voice-cast

I've heard constant complaint about the 4-Kids dub, and I could understand (especially in Sonic 360). But even if the game had the best voice team in the world, it won't create a difference in gameplay. In fact, some people think that Jason Griffith who voiced Sonic is improving. I think people need to be patient with the guys. Remember, the fundamentals of Sonic games are top priority. Voice-acting comes way behind that.

3. Overhauling/ Giving up on Gimmicks

Some people are talking about getting back to basics: Stick Sonic back into 2D world, Emerald Hill Zone, and take on Dr. Eggman (or Robotnik) and save little animals. However, this theory has its flaws. How? Think of this:

In the early days of Gaming, there was Space Wars and Pong. Those were very popular in their time.

But do we like those games now? Probably not. They're way too old and out of fashion compared to games today. That's the main reason behind the flaw of returning to fundamentals. I'll explain my argument later on, but just remember that formulas that worked in the past might not work nowadays.

4. Giving up on Sonic, Shut Down the Sonic Franchise

That is an ABSOLUTE NO-NO! Thanks alot, freakin' Gametrailers. They kept referring Sonic as being in life-support, but I totally disagree with that. The franchise frankly bounced back from its poor start (from Sonic 360) and had some mild success. NOT overwhelming success, but success nevertheless.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was a good game to most critics, so was Sonic Chronicles, so that means that Sonic Team (and BioWare for Sonic Chronicles) were at least doing SOMETHING right. They didn't exactly epic-failed in every aspect of gaming. They just need to look above mediocrity and aim for the skies.

Also, failure isn't a final destination, but just a pathway to success. I think that this goes for nearly everything, including video games, including Sonic the Hedgehog.

OK, so I've outlined the things which I don't want to see from SEGA, and I hope they are reading this. I have hope that in my lifetime, I would see Sonic become glorious once again and be compared to gaming legends like Mario, Legend of Zelda, and maybe even Final Fantasy (albeit for different reasons).

All Sonic teams need to do is follow steps that I would write about later on. Then before they know it, they are back on the track to stardom.

Coming Soon: The First Step to Fixing Sonic. What is it going to be? You're going to have to wait to find out...

Sincerely,

RayCarter

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#1  Edited By raycarter

The Sonic Franchise is in a ditch. I think that everyone who know the blue hedgehog well could conclude that Sonic just wasn't the same since his transition to 3D. His games are now targets for GT and GameSpot to ridicule, pan and beat to the ground.

So what did SEGA do wrong this time? What does it need to do in order to return to the level of games from Mario and Legend of Zelda. That's why I am writing this opinion piece. I think that I could give good advice to Sonic Team Board Room so that the Blue Hedgehog can rise again.

Now you might think "There you go again. An outsider who has no background on Sonic yapping out advice". But I've come prepared. I've done an awful lot of research and even had some hands-on experiences with the Blue Blazer. I think that my advice could, no matter how small, make a positive difference. 

But before coming to the top 3 things on SEGA's To-do list, here are the solutions to improve the Sonic franchise which I DON'T agree with.

1. Overhauling the Sonic cast

There are a lot of fans for Tails (I am a Tails fan), Knuckles, Shadow (especially) and Silver. Losing those guys would probably create an uprising within Sonic fans. It's especially painful if the new characters aren't received by those fans and are also uninteresting, resulting in an indifferent gaming public and a bitter fan-base. Not a winning formula.

2. Overhauling the voice-cast

I've heard constant complaint about the 4-Kids dub, and I could understand (especially in Sonic 360). But even if the game had the best voice team in the world, it won't create a difference in gameplay. In fact, some people think that Jason Griffith who voiced Sonic is improving. I think people need to be patient with the guys. Remember, the fundamentals of Sonic games are top priority. Voice-acting comes way behind that.

3. Overhauling/ Giving up on Gimmicks

Some people are talking about getting back to basics: Stick Sonic back into 2D world, Emerald Hill Zone, and take on Dr. Eggman (or Robotnik) and save little animals. However, this theory has its flaws. How? Think of this:

In the early days of Gaming, there was Space Wars and Pong. Those were very popular in their time.

But do we like those games now? Probably not. They're way too old and out of fashion compared to games today. That's the main reason behind the flaw of returning to fundamentals. I'll explain my argument later on, but just remember that formulas that worked in the past might not work nowadays.

4. Giving up on Sonic, Shut Down the Sonic Franchise

That is an ABSOLUTE NO-NO! Thanks alot, freakin' Gametrailers. They kept referring Sonic as being in life-support, but I totally disagree with that. The franchise frankly bounced back from its poor start (from Sonic 360) and had some mild success. NOT overwhelming success, but success nevertheless.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was a good game to most critics, so was Sonic Chronicles, so that means that Sonic Team (and BioWare for Sonic Chronicles) were at least doing SOMETHING right. They didn't exactly epic-failed in every aspect of gaming. They just need to look above mediocrity and aim for the skies.

Also, failure isn't a final destination, but just a pathway to success. I think that this goes for nearly everything, including video games, including Sonic the Hedgehog.

OK, so I've outlined the things which I don't want to see from SEGA, and I hope they are reading this. I have hope that in my lifetime, I would see Sonic become glorious once again and be compared to gaming legends like Mario, Legend of Zelda, and maybe even Final Fantasy (albeit for different reasons).

All Sonic teams need to do is follow steps that I would write about later on. Then before they know it, they are back on the track to stardom.

Coming Soon: The First Step to Fixing Sonic. What is it going to be? You're going to have to wait to find out...

Sincerely,

RayCarter

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Willy105

None of those things will fix it. Forget about the fans and make a polished quality game.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Clbull

I don't think its the massive amount of annoying characters or voice acting that is sinking the Sonic series. I think its more about the flawed gameplay which is hard to control.

Look at Sonic Unleashed for instance. Sonic simply runs too fast and is stupidly hard to control when going fast, or in the sections of the Sonic levels where you actually have to play it like a typical platformer, meaning you're going to get hit by a lot of obstaces/get killed fast. I'd say the Werehog sections (although WAY too long and not fast paced enough) were the only decent part of the game surprisingly.

Sonic Heroes wasn't THAT bad. Sure the levels went on for too long and there were some flaws, but it was fun nonetheless. I'd say the Sonic series truly started to drop a bit once we saw Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic and the Secret Rings. I think for an overhaul, the gameplay has to be improved quite a bit, to make it more exciting, and to make it more easily controllable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.