Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

Sega's Project Needlemouse Teaser - New Sonic 2D

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Original Story 

All tease and no please, for now, but the fact it's 2D based is promising. I wonder if Sonic is even the main character : /, this teaser leads me to believe he might not be..I thinkt his might be spiny son!, of course I could be wrong...

Now confirmed as a Sonic game.

Happy Dreamcast Day 09/09/09

UPDATED

No Caption Provided

A new solo Sonic with no new enemies says Sega: 

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2010/01/15/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-finale-and-concept-art/#more-1003

Project Needlemouse
    - First Artwork

No Caption Provided
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

They should keep away from all of the crap they've made, and go really retro, get the old music, don't remake it, just make it sound better and then throw that in, that's my dream sonic, I love the retro sonic music, and if they went to that style I'd be sold. Wonder if it's release game or just download.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

So thats like  four people now that care that there may, possibly be a good sonic the hedgehog game again.. 

Unleashed has it's moments (Probably have to run away now)
    MCXCI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MCXCI

Why don't you think it's Sonic? What part of this teaser did not resemble Sonic? Save for the fact that they showed a silhouette instead of the games logo.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Ineedaname said:

" They should keep away from all of the crap they've made, and go really retro, get the old music, don't remake it, just make it sound better and then throw that in, that's my dream sonic, I love the retro sonic music, and if they went to that style I'd be sold. Wonder if it's release game or just download. "

Same here, I want a no nonsense 2D Sonic game in HD, but I do also want something new in terms of level design and gameplay concepts, but they need to be able to work well in a fast platforming game of course. Anything that kills speed too much is simply not wanted.  I basically want Sega to approach the game in the same way Capcom did Mega Man 9.

I hope it's a download game myself.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Ineedaname said:

" They should keep away from all of the crap they've made, and go really retro, get the old music, don't remake it, just make it sound better and then throw that in, that's my dream sonic, I love the retro sonic music, and if they went to that style I'd be sold. Wonder if it's release game or just download. "

Same here, I want a no nonsense 2D Sonic game in HD, but I do also want something new in terms of level design and gameplay concepts, but they need to be able to work well in a fast platforming game. Anything that kills speed too much is not wanted.  I basically want Sega to approach the game in the same way Capcom did Mega Man 9. I hope it's a download game myself. "
    Agreed, I literally was talking about this 2 days ago, that they should just make a 2D sonic, short game, sell it for fairly cheap with new ideas for gameplay, and see how it's received then go from there. The marketplaces are the only way I can see sonic getting a second life now.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Ineedaname said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Ineedaname said:

Same here, I want a no nonsense 2D Sonic game in HD, but I do also want something new in terms of level design and gameplay concepts, but they need to be able to work well in a fast platforming game. Anything that kills speed too much is not wanted.  I basically want Sega to approach the game in the same way Capcom did Mega Man 9. I hope it's a download game myself. "
    Agreed, I literally was talking about this 2 days ago, that they should just make a 2D sonic, short game, sell it for fairly cheap with new ideas for gameplay, and see how it's received then go from there. The marketplaces are the only way I can see sonic getting a second life now. "

My thoughts exactly. I think other well established franchises like this that are in a rut should undergo similar treatment.  

@Alexander:

In the wrong forum.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Linkyshinks:
    it always seems to be the later levels in the earlier sonic games that kill speed and I always hated that, that and stupid underwater levels, I think underwater levels in most games should be banned. 

sonic+stompythings+fire jets+crushing platforms=no fun
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @marioncobretti said:

" @Linkyshinks: it always seems to be the later levels in the earlier sonic games that kill speed and I always hated that, that and stupid underwater levels, I think underwater levels in most games should be banned.  sonic+stompythings+fire jets+crushing platforms=no fun "

They tend to add more to later levels thinking it ramps up difficulty, but in doing so also take out some of the prime pleasure of the game. I just think they need to be clever in design process and keep the focus on classic gameplay - speedy platforming, and bringing in new exciting gameplay. 

As well as nicking platforming mechanics from other recent games made by others, I would also like to see Sega to develop their own. I know I would want some heavy physics based puzzles from any new game, puzzles that have to be done quickly.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Eder

Hope its good, @marioncobretti: Unleashed wasnt that bad so dont worry, the sonic stages had some good ideas. This and the kart game seem to be finaly something good with sonic in it. Now if only they made a good fighter as well, imagine: Sega Vs Capcom.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Plus Sega have a racer on the way, which looks pretty good, better than Mario Kart Wii anyway.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

Sega need to make a new jet set game!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By demigonis

Thank Christ. A real SONIC game. (I hope I hope I hope I hope, please don't bungle this, Sega.)

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By vidiot
    @Demigonis said:
    " Thank Christ. A real SONIC game. (I hope I hope I hope I hope, please don't bungle this, Sega.) "
    I have never heard a statement like that before ever. :P
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That video is already down I guess?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Cube

Here's to hoping it's awesome. They're certainly going in the right direction, and finally got the fucking message. I want the Sega Seal of Quality back.

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By demigonis
    @vidiot: Shhhhhhhhhh, quiet you!  Don't try to tear me from my happy place!!

It looks like they MIGHT actually realize what needs to be done to Sonic, bring it back to its roots, drop swords, guns, werehogs, extra characters that no one cares about, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and Linkyshinks when they said "In Project Needlemouse, there will be no new characters – playable or otherwise" they might have meant supporting characters, I kind of find it hard to believe there won't be a single new enemy type or boss. But it's possible they meant no new enemies at all and they're sticking to classic enemies pulled from the previous games in the series. I wonder.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Demigonis said:
    " @vidiot: Shhhhhhhhhh, quiet you!  Don't try to tear me from my happy place!!  It looks like they MIGHT actually realize what needs to be done to Sonic, bring it back to its roots, drop swords, guns, werehogs, extra characters that no one cares about, etc.  EDIT: Oh, and Linkyshinks when they said "In Project Needlemouse, there will be no new characters – playable or otherwise" they might have meant supporting characters, I kind of find it hard to believe there won't be a single new enemy type or boss. But it's possible they meant no new enemies at all and they're sticking to classic enemies pulled from the previous games in the series. I wonder. "

I doubt it.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Ineedaname said:

Same here, I want a no nonsense 2D Sonic game in HD, but I do also want something new in terms of level design and gameplay concepts, but they need to be able to work well in a fast platforming game of course. Anything that kills speed too much is simply not wanted.  I basically want Sega to approach the game in the same way Capcom did Mega Man 9. I hope it's a download game myself.   ... "
    . . . . . . .What? Mega Man 9 didn't do nothing new, all it did is the same thing that Capcom did for SFIV, play the nostalgia card. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.