Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 announced at Sonic 25th Anniversary Event

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Jeff will be on board with sonic mania because fat sonic is back

Also if sonic 2017 is being built off of the foundations of colours and generations it could be good.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Boring... I found Sonic CD mediocre and don't like that they're AGAIN using Sonic 1 instead of the better looking, better controlling Sonic 2 and 3.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

Fuck yeah, gimme all this shit.

Colors and Generations and Racing Transformed were legitimately really cool games, in my mind. It's a series where I have to wait to see gameplay, but when it's on point I can really still enjoy a modern Sonic game. I almost cringed at 3 playable characters, until they showed it was the only 3 that mattered. Can't wait!!

Avatar image for dannydrinkwater
    DannyDrinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DannyDrinkwater
    Loading Video...

Here is a direct feed of Sonic Mania gameplay from Gamespot.

This shit looks real good to me.

LP_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By LP_Green

Man, that music.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is that first game basically like Megaman 9 but for the Megadrive Sonic games? That's great if that's what it is.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, that stream was all the Sonic I'll be needing for the next 25 years.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atomicoldman

Headcannon worked on the most recent iphone ports of Sonic 1 and 2 alongside Whitehead, who did the whole Retro Engine thing that made both them and the HD release of Sonic CD possible. It looks like they're both just being given free reign to make a new Sonic game from the ground up (Green Hill's assets actually appear to be new) which is cool.

I am also really digging the projector with 1930's style jiving Robotnik in that gameplay video. I hope this game is good, because going the Mega Man 9 and 10 route is about the only thing I want out of Sonic at this point.

edit: I kind of hope Sonic 2017 is actually Generations 2, but the trailer for it is not good at all.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By crithon

the sonic cycle begins.

Actually, at this point I'm concerned with some of these plucky young studios are going under because Sega is so eager to license Sonic to anyone with a muffin and hat. Just reminded how difficult it was for one of my old roommate to get licensing with Dreamworks on PS2 cart racing games.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Sonic 2017 trailer trying to paint him as an angry hero is really, really lame.

Maybe that vibe is what sells but it looks incredibly uninspired.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic Mania looks pretty cool, the second game is hard to know what that game is. Co op play at all?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

I didn't believe him at the time, but Ryan was right about Sonic.

Loading Video...

I want a great Sonic game again, but it'll never happen. No matter how it looks.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fugoy

Love both of the announced titles. Generations was great and so was colors and the same people who made those are making whatever the title for the new 3D one is so I have plenty faith in that one. Sonic Mania looks cash as well and the drop dash has lots of potential. Hype as fuck let's go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I'd have rather they released a Sonic Legacy Collection (similar to Mega Man Legacy Collection) but I guess I'll check these out closer to the time.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty skeptical of just about everything with the Sonic name, but goddamn is the title animation for Sonic Mania some smooth spritework.

https://gfycat.com/UnconsciousWeirdKingfisher

Played a crapton of Sonic 2 when I was younger, so consider me warily excited for Sonic Mania.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think I've said that they should do exactly what Sonic Mania is doing multiple times.

Take the retro engine, and make a whole new game out of it. (Seriously, the mobile versions of 1, 2 and CD are by far and away the best versions of those games.)

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want an ok Sonic replacement, check out Tembo The Badass Elephant. This is just going back to the well and that's all Sega do now. They can't make shit for games so they just keep pushing shit Sonic games on people who keep thinking, "oh no, this time it'll be different" but it won't be different. Sonic Mania will probably be ok because they're just remaking the old games with some new stuff but the new 3D Sonic from Sonic Team looks like trash and keeps pushing that dark and gritty Sonic that Sega still thinks is a thing.

Hey Sega, if you don't want to come up with new games, why not release sequels to games you've been sitting on since the Dreamcast? Give people remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2 for starters. Maybe a new Jet Set Radio or new Skies of Arcadia. Oh no, those last 2 would probably take some imagination and work.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

Is that first game basically like Megaman 9 but for the Megadrive Sonic games? That's great if that's what it is.

That's actually a pretty good comparison. And MM9 was great. Some people like to say those old Sonic games don't hold up, but I still enjoy them quite a bit if the level design is where it needs to be.

@paulmako said:

That Sonic 2017 trailer trying to paint him as an angry hero is really, really lame.

Maybe that vibe is what sells but it looks incredibly uninspired.

But he always had attitude, especially in that Sonic SatAM series. And even Sonic CD had him glaring at a huge threat ahead of him.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should rename Sonic Mania to Sonic 4 and pretend episode 1 and 2 never existed.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The OG 2D sonic games never grabbed me (ironically, they felt too sluggish) so I won't comment on that. The new 3D one though... I just don't know if I can deal with the typical Sonic jank to enjoy another one again. I really liked Generations but there was a lot of crap in that game as well: from terrible boss fights, to even worse min-games/side-missions (which were compulsory). A lot of sonic games have something that's really interesting, and Colors is probably the closest they've got to a fully-fleshed out game in about a decade, but even there, the powers were greatly underused. I just don't have the willpower any more.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am willing to give Sonic Mania a shot...Sonic 2017 though...yeah I don't know about that one. Will have to see actually gameplay first. Mania looks like as close as you can get to a Sonic Genesis game in the current game market.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Can I pre-order to get a free chili-dog?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God dammit. I just pulled out my copy of Generations again.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone call me when the words 'Chao Garden' are uttered when someone is talking about a new Sonic game. Then and only then will I care.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Monthly reminder that playing All Stars Racing on steam is a better experience than playing Mario Kart. The only downside is the character roster.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know who is into this whole two Sonics thing. It seems like an attempt to say to the skeptics, "no no, we remember Sonic's roots, he's right here!", but it just seems incoherent and bakes all of the series' perceived problems into the branding. Making 3D Sonic short, plump and a lighter blue would do nothing to fix 3D Sonic games, but they don't want to fix 3D Sonic games, so they want to convince old Sonic fans to buy the new games...somehow...?

I have to imagine that the gritty realistic aesthetic sells to a large demographic that the fans of the original games are barely aware of the existence of, so complaining about it just seems futile at this point. But I still wish they'd try to modernize that striking tiled techno aesthetic and the vaguely environmentalist "save the poor little animals from that dastardly human" undertones of the originals in a 3D Sonic game rather than just relegating it to 2D games.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic Mania looks pretty cool, but I wish they weren't going with a "greatest hits" route with some of the levels.

Look, Sega, I've probably played through Green Hill Zone Act I more times than I've gotten laid in my life. I'm good, thanks.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

No Caption Provided

Where's Rouge the Bat?

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

There has been only one journalist asking the question on my mind about all this:

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic Mania looks pretty cool, but I wish they weren't going with a "greatest hits" route with some of the levels.

Look, Sega, I've probably played through Green Hill Zone Act I more times than I've gotten laid in my life. I'm good, thanks.

I'm ok with it if they're levels you unlock on the side. Like if there's a full remixed version of Sonic 1 in there and each level was tied to meeting some requirement or collecting an item in the core game, then that's kind of cool. If they're taking up spots that could be given to wholly original levels in the main game, though, then that is not ok.

Ashmcsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

"I'm getting too old for this Shit."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.