Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

The trailer for "Sonic the Hedgehog" is here and looks even worse than you already thought it did

• 54 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I....how

How is this real

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By hermes

It looks like they took the people that made Yogi Bear and Alvin and the Chipmunks, and asked them to make it worst...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

EVERY HERO HAS A GENESIS ughhhhhhhh

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie: The Game

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheRealTurk

Good God! I need an old priest and a young priest . . .

It's like they took the Mike Myers' Cat in the Hat and said "now shrink him down, make him blue, but do it all in really bad CG."

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

I just now realized this. omg

also HIS HANDS ARE JUST WHITE FUR AND NOT GLOVES WTF

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who allowed this to happen?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Not going to lie, that line was the closest thing I saw to clever...

Maybe I have low standards, but at least it is better than Carrey doing his Ace Ventura stick and everyone but the soldier taking it at face value...

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks bad, but I've said that about every Sonic thing since the Dreamcast. I'm a hater, but hopefully fans will be happy.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad Really need a live reaction to this during the Bombcast, even if you guys have all seen it already.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't know what you people were hoping this would be. Sonic was trash, is trash, and forever will be trash. If some movie studio can make a campy film with a blue thing going fast that'll entertain the kiddos, it'll still be better than the best Sonic game.

(I'm actually kind of in to what I saw)

ROLLIN AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoeDangerous

Worse? It's everything I wanted aka high quality schlock. I un-ironically think this will be my movie of the year from all the fun I'll have watching it.

Avatar image for dangerousdoctor
    DangerousDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My kids will probably love this.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Remember when Coolio was upset about Weird Al’s Gangsta’s Paradise parody?

Coolio’s gotta eat, I guess...

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm gonna be honest, I don't get the fundamental difference between this and Detective Pikachu. They both look like they're in the same category. This looks silly and earnest in a way that's pretty amusing.

Jim Carey playing 1990s Jim Carey is an inspired casting choice. The ridiculous straight-laced military dudes had me cracking up.

"Every hero has a genesis," was funny.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, tbh this looks like my kind of stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I'm 100% on board for this dumpster fire.

It'll be fun in a stupid way.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't deal with this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, it turns out Sonic looks just as much like an unholy nightmare in motion as he did in those leaked promotional bits. That said, I honestly don't mind Jim Carey very much channeling that 90s Jim Carey energy. If nothing else, it seems like he could be a fun part of what is otherwise undoubtedly going to be a trainwreck.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks so bad its good.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sonic looks like a nightmare, but between the families & the 'ironic' audience, i bet this will do quite well.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, we have a Super Mario Bros. for a whole new generation. Us 80s kids had our triumphant moment of absolute cock-up, and now there's potentially another one.

Please, please, be even worse than this.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the trailer. I went from zero interest to this might be enjoyable to watch with my kids and that ain't a bad thing. Jim Carey looked like the Jim Carey I grew up with so him alone will probably be enough to make it enjoyable.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is definitely weird. I guess I just find it weird that they actually got actors to get in on it considering how bad video game movies usually are (but, you know, money). That said, while I'm personally not excited for it, I think it'd be funny if it's the first highly regarded video game to movie adaption. I would have thought a movie like Bumblebee would have been like every other Transformers movie (albeit, I haven't really looked into any of it), and yet it's a 92 percent on Rottentomatoes. That may not be a good comparison, but just going based off of my own expectations. Eh, I doubt this movie will be any good...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To sum up how I feel about Sonic at this point:

Loading Video...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that made me happy in a "give me sweet release from this mortal coil" kind of way.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, a bunch of people got paychecks for this. Jobs are good... right?

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The horror...

Sonic was clearly designed by someone eho had never heard of the games and said, "Wait, you want me to design a character who's a blue-furred hedgehog-man? Um...okay, here you go, I guess?"

But hey, if people genuinely find themselves liking the movie, more power to them. It's about time video-game movies didn't immediately equate to "absolute garbage" (the Mortal Kombat movie not withstanding, as that is a goddamn national treasure.)

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am surprised it took so long but not so at what the end result would become. I mostly feel bad for Jim Carrey signing on for this.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: There's zero difference between this and Detective Pikachu at a fundamental level. But at least in Detective Pikachu the Pikachu looks like a Pikachu.

This Sonic looks like the design was based off someone telling you what Sonic look like and nobody ever looked at source material. "Sonic is like this hedgehog dude with blue fur and he has red shoes and runs really fast" in which they got really hung up on the "dude" part.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how you could have expected different. Ben Schwartz as Sonic is a better casting choice than Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu. Jim Carrey seems like he's just gonna lean into it. Sonic goes fast. Seems fine to me.

Side note: When the Mortal Kombat movie came out were people as pissed about Scorpion's snake/spear thing that comes out of his hand as they are about this redesigned Sonic? Or Sub-Zero's lame as shit death?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Humanity

I dunno seems like whatever. Not sure what people expected and where these incredulous reactions are coming from, but in terms of actually bad movies I've seen worse. As a kids film with a CG mascot this is gonna do alright. Jim Carrey is playing Jim Carrey. I only really feel bad for Madsen as this seems like a step down for him but I'm sure the money was alright.

Maybe a lot of people will, just like Ben, go wink-wink-nod-nod ironically watch it so they can then declare how they, grown adults, did not enjoy this movie for children.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why they went with Gangsta's Paradise?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archer88: I never saw Mortal Kombat until maybe 1-2 years ago. I loved MK and MKII, but...c’mon...

Anyhow, I was probably 15 when that movie hit theaters. I had no desire to see it, but everything I heard from video game types was positive.

We have a culture of shitting on things for sport, these days. It sucks. I’m not saying that I thought highly of that trailer. I’m not saying that I didn’t feel a sense of dread when my son asked to go see it. But I don’t need to dedicate time to shitting on it either.

I the new Avengers film crap for a shot that I thought was pandered too hard. Giving it some thought, I was there with one of my kids. They’re making those films for A BROAD fucking audience. Fuck me for giving them shit over something a kid in that theatre might like. Good on them for making something for damned near everyone and doing it as well as they did. That’s a feat.

I’m not putting Sonic on that level, but at the same time, if people dig it, cool. I don’t need to shit on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
    deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks absolutely horrible. You couldn’t pay me to see this trash.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like it was made in 2002 but was kept hidden in a vault and someone discovered it now. If someone told me this movie was from around the same time the Scooby Doo and Garfield movies came out, I would totally believe it.

Btw, the studios responsible for the animation and VFX on this movie (Blur Studio, Digital Domain, Industrial Light & Magic) are the same studios who worked on Avengers Endgame and every other Marvel movie, Tron Legacy, Benjamin Button, Deadpool, Avatar, all the Star Wars movies and more. Just let that sink in...

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shiftygism

@johnymyko: To be fair the problem isn't so much the cg, as it's the location and the character design....but there was really no good way to go about it for this particular property as Sonic doesn't at least resemble real world wildlife enough for it to somewhat work like what we've seen of the various pokemon in Detective Pikachu.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like it was made in 2002 but was kept hidden in a vault and someone discovered it now. If someone told me this movie was from around the same time the Scooby Doo and Garfield movies came out, I would totally believe it.

This is spot-on.

I found this trailer genuinely upsetting. Not even being hyperbolic there. It doesn't even look like it can be amusing on a "hey, let's watch this bad movie" level. It's just a depressing indication of creative bankruptcy. This is a thing that should never have been made. Sonic already had WAY too many forced, failed attempts at maintaining relevance within the world of video games, and now we get this abomination on the silver screen decades after the fact.

From a humor standpoint, this kinda crushes me two-fold because Jim Carrey still playing Ace Ventura in 2019 is just sad, and Sonic appears to be the cringey Poochie-esque shit that has been done to death with a wisecracky character who some marketing asshole decided "appeals to kids". It's just so goddamn formulaic and soulless at this point.

We've killed irony. It's jumped the fucking shark to the point that it's a borderline meaningless concept now. All the fun is lost when the whole intent is to cater to ironic appreciation from the outset. This forced tongue-in-cheek shit is awful. It's supposed to be endearing, but is the polar opposite.

If they just made a bad thing, that would be fine, but this 100% feels like it's pandering to try and be some cult hit, because there is literally no other reason for it to exist. "Wouldn't it be so funny to make a Sonic movie in 2019?" (nudge nudge, wink wink) Fuck off. Fuck right off.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It seems very true to its source material which is presumably Sonic 06.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks... well, like a nightmare come true, but I'm way into Carrey's performance. If it weren't for his obvious aging, that could have come right out of 1995. So at least it has that going for it.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BrainScratch

The director has announced they're going to fix Sonic's design after the online feedback.

They might be able to fix his design, but I doubt they'll be able to fix the generic storyline anyway.

edit: if you check the comments to the director's tweet, you can see that apparently the concept artist responsible for the character design on the Detective Pikachu movie has shown interest in helping them fix Sonic.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko: but...but...the character designs in Detective Pikachu are basically those of the game with added fur. It'll be nuts if that's exactly what he suggests, they agree, and he winds up with a credit. Hollywood, smh...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow, they're going to redo the main character after the trailer is out there already? Is there precedent for these kind of changes?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave Sonic all fucked up you cowards.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, they're going to redo the main character after the trailer is out there already? Is there precedent for these kind of changes?

Battle Angel Alita I believe, technically, did this. It wasn't that radical, pretty sure they just changed the eyes a bit after people reacted pretty bad, but it happens.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

This looks... well, like a nightmare come true, but I'm way into Carrey's performance. If it weren't for his obvious aging, that could have come right out of 1995. So at least it has that going for it.

IMDB has him credited to 63 roles. We're about there for that Simpsons joke to become reality.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There changing Sonic again poor guy LEAVE SONIC ALONE!

Still found this fucked up pic off Sonic altered boy face (rendering by a fan/artist)

No Caption Provided

the new one looks even worse stop this Nightmare!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only assume the target audience is six-year-old's.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BrainScratch
    @soulcake said:

There changing Sonic again poor guy LEAVE SONIC ALONE!

Still found this fucked up pic off Sonic altered boy face (rendering by a fan/artist)

No Caption Provided

the new one looks even worse stop this Nightmare!

I really don't get why so many people on social media are sharing that picture saying it looks way better and it should be like that. That honestly looks just as bad but in a different way. It's like if someone tried to turn Sonic into some sort of Disney/Pixar character.

There's a crazy amount of fan-art trying to fix the design and all of them look like garbage.

Personally, I think these two are the best ones I've seen so far:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

But even these still look like they won't work in motion. Let's just face it, no matter what they'll do, it will look weird anyway (and there's other flaws to the movie besides Sonic's design).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.