Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Interactive Entertainment America

Company »

Sony Interactive Entertainment America is the North American subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment. SIEA is responsible for publishing and marketing Sony's hardware and software in that region.

Has Sony gone a bit too far?

• 60 results
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By beej
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @ch13696: One of the first programs engineered after the hack was an 'app' that unlocked all trophies for a game. Now Trophies aren't that big a deal but it does show that hackers don't care if they mess up PSN "
    That hardly speaks to the entirety of people who might utilize this.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Punk1984

No but it does give Sony a legitimate reason to sue the pants off anyone they can. Sony is suing to protect the integrity of thier online platform. Remember when people got mad because hackers were running their own  sessions of Call of Duty, it hurt the play experience. Sony wants that play experience to be as fair and fun as possible, so they are suing to get this hacker thing heel.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By blueaniman93

its seems irrational to me because they could have expected this especially with what happened to the psp 
    they're in panic right now i guess

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By Commisar123

These are always intresting debates.  Obviosuly  Sony has the right to have their technology used in whatever way they want, they paid for the development and production and they own the rights to it.  Yet at the same I don't see how looking at every goddam website this guy has visited in two years is going to do them any good.  Still if you break the law you have to be prepared to face the consequences, regardless of degrees.  I certianly hope Sony lets him off the hook, he dosn't seem like a bad guy and as most people seem to say Sony is overacting.  Most likley at this point they are trying to show how powerful they are so nobody fucks with them in the future.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By ch13696
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @ch13696: One of the first programs engineered after the hack was an 'app' that unlocked all trophies for a game. Now Trophies aren't that big a deal but it does show that hackers don't care if they mess up PSN "
    Dude, there's been hacks for unlocking trophies way before Geohot decided to hack the PS3.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ch13696
    @RsistncE said:
    " @ch13696: "And ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  Sony is going to learn this the hard way. "
    As much as I don't want to say this, but it has to be said... with all these lawsuits Sony has, they may be the next console manufacturer to stop making consoles. 
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Reuben

I follow geohots site just to see what's new with jailbreaking and electronics in general, I wouldn't be worried if Sony somehow got my IP or w/e. If they want to scare people away from visiting those sites then sure I guess that might work or something.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Punk1984
    @ch13696: My point was that this gives Sony an example how hacking effects all PS3 users negatively 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Sooty

I went on Geohot's site to get my iPhone jailbreak, who the fuck do they think they are collecting IP addresses of those who visit his site?  I don't see what they can gain from doing this except bad PR, fucking idiots.

@XII_Sniper said:

" @Terry_Bogard said:

" Yeah, Sony's taken this too far. Anyone who supports their behavior is retarded.. seriously.   "

If people want to hack the PS3 so damn much, crack it yourselves.  "
    What a fucking idiotic argument, I have no desire to hack my PS3, but with that argument let's see what else we can come up with... 

If you want your father to survive that open heart surgery so much, do it yourself. 

Hey if you want a meatball marinara sub so much, make it yourself.  

Get the fuck out.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ch13696
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @ch13696: My point was that this gives Sony an example how hacking effects all PS3 users negatively  "
    Then Sony needs to either better secure their trophies or ban the people that abuse it, not sue the crap out of everyone. C'mon everything is hacked till you can't do crap to it anymore. The Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, all kinds of stuff on the PC. You know what those companies do? They secure their products or ban people (can't say much for Nintendo). I don't think I ever saw a lawsuit come out of Microsoft because someone hacked Windows to do something that it wasn't meant to do. I don't see Apple suing people because they're using OSX on a PC. 

The reason behind Sony's lawsuit is just... well... silly.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Punk1984
    @ch13696: My point wasn't that it was a good reason, it was that it was a reason. The hackers gave Sony a reason to attack them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.