Should Sony FINALLY discontinue the PS2?

#251 Edited by iAmJohn (6293 posts) -
@K0rN said:

" I didn't shed a tear when the Xbox got discontinued because there was a BETTER console out (No shit it's the 360) same as it would be with the PS2, there is a BETTER console then the PS2 and it's name is the PS3. "

Okay great.  But Microsoft also murdered the Xbox when the 360 came out.  Sony let the PS2 continue to thrive and - surprise! - some awesome games that might not have come out otherwise came out for it and the system continued to sell and make Sony money and help fund their PS3 and PSP work!  Everybody wins. 

"Better" is all relative, bro.
#252 Edited by Cube (4410 posts) -
@K0rN said:

" @Cube said:

" @K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @K0rN: Meh. I have nothing left to go back to on the 360 for now. I'll probably go back to PC, though. But only after I've picked up and played through Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Persona 4. "
Xbox Live and whatever is in the future is enough reason to go back. "
Okay, we get it - you're an Xbox fanboy. "
I have a PS3 you stupid shithead. "
And? Does this mean you can't possibly be a fanboy?   Dumbass. You're a fanboy. This thread proves it. "
I didn't shed a tear when the Xbox got discontinued because there was a BETTER console out (No shit it's the 360) same as it would be with the PS2, there is a BETTER console then the PS2 and it's name is the PS3. "
But you still can't grasp the reason WHY Sony won't discontinue the PS2. 

Too bad, dude.

IMO, PS2 is better than PS3. SNES is better than PS3, Genesis is better than PS3, PS1 is better than PS3, and N64 is better than PS3.

Technology isn't everything in saying one console is better than another. I'd rather play Donkey Kong Country over any HD game.
#253 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@nyuckelhead said:
"I own all three 6th gen and all three current gen consoles and honestly the PS2 is still my favorite, although I do love the cube and original xbox. For some reason the current gen consoles games just seem like all flash and no substance. Dont get me wrong newer games arent bad, and there are some awesome games on this generation (Bioshock, Fallout 3, Uncharted, Mass Effect) but it seems like the fun factor is not there anymore, dont ask me why, I cant put my finger on it. "

It's called being stuck in the past.
#254 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

" @K0rN said:

" I didn't shed a tear when the Xbox got discontinued because there was a BETTER console out (No shit it's the 360) same as it would be with the PS2, there is a BETTER console then the PS2 and it's name is the PS3. "

Okay great.  But Microsoft also murdered the Xbox when the 360 came out.  Sony let the PS2 continue to thrive and - surprise! - some awesome games that might not have come out otherwise came out for it and the system continued to sell and make Sony money and help fund their PS3 and PSP work!  Everybody wins.  Better is all "relative," bro. "
Also more advanced, doesn't mean always better. PS2's catalogue still kicks the PS3 and Xbox 360's ass. 

@nyuckelhead

said:

" I own all three 6th gen and all three current gen consoles and honestly the PS2 is still my favorite, although I do love the cube and original xbox. For some reason the current gen consoles games just seem like all flash and no substance. Dont get me wrong newer games arent bad, and there are some awesome games on this generation (Bioshock, Fallout 3, Uncharted, Mass Effect) but it seems like the fun factor is not there anymore, dont ask me why, I cant put my finger on it. "

I agree with you in most part - not totally because i still had fun with some of them. Maybe that's a side effect of "taking the fun of making videogames". Of facing them more seriously as the investments spiral upwards.
#255 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Okay great.  But Microsoft also murdered the Xbox when the 360 came out.  Sony let the PS2 continue to thrive and - surprise! - some awesome games that might not have come out otherwise came out for it and the system continued to sell and make Sony money and help fund their PS3 and PSP work!  Everybody wins.  Better is all "relative," bro. "
Also more advanced, doesn't mean always better. PS2's catalogue still kicks the PS3 and Xbox 360's ass. "

GTA IV, ME2, UC2, Oblivion, Bioshock ect. all say hai.
#256 Posted by Cube (4410 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Also more advanced, doesn't mean always better. PS2's catalogue still kicks the PS3 and Xbox 360's ass. "
GTA IV, ME2, UC2, Oblivion, Bioshock ect. all say hai. "
HAHAAHAHA if you think those games touch the greatness of the ENTIRE ps2 catalog you need to stop sniffing glue.
#257 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
"@K0rN said:

Okay great.  But Microsoft also murdered the Xbox when the 360 came out.  Sony let the PS2 continue to thrive and - surprise! - some awesome games that might not have come out otherwise came out for it and the system continued to sell and make Sony money and help fund their PS3 and PSP work!  Everybody wins.  "Better" is all relative, bro. "

The Xbox didn't die until a year later.
#258 Posted by iAmJohn (6293 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" The Xbox didn't die until a year later. "
How much support did Microsoft give for continued development for the system again?  Let me give you a hint: they stopped manufacturing Xboxes when they started manufacturing 360s and attempted to move every developer over to making 360 games.  As such, the majority of Xbox games that came out after the system was dead were super budget games (Crusty Demons) or ports of PS2 games being put out - more often than not - by EA.
#259 Posted by Cube (4410 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
HAHAAHAHA if you think those games touch the greatness of the ENTIRE ps2 catalog you need to stop sniffing glue. "
They are a lot more advance then driving around "Capping suckas" or "Painting Miracles". "
And PS2's library is fucking legendary. It has arguably the greatest library of any console ever produced.
#260 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
HAHAAHAHA if you think those games touch the greatness of the ENTIRE ps2 catalog you need to stop sniffing glue. "

They are alot more refined, play better and have better stories then games in the PS2 games. If anyone is sniffing glue, its you.
#261 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
They are a lot more advance then driving around "Capping suckas" or "Painting Miracles". "
And PS2's library is fucking legendary. It has arguably the greatest library of any console ever produced. "

You need to get out of the past and see that not a single one of them has aged well today.
#262 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -
@Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Games like: 

• Persona 3 and 4
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Shadow Hearts 1, 2 and 3
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Xenogears 1, 2 and 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Manhunt
  • Mercenaries
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
  • Half Life
  • Timesplitters
  • GTA Vice City and San Andreas
  • Champions of Norrath
  • God of War 1 and 2
  • Ico
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • GrimGrimoire
  • Disgaea
  • Okami
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

#263 Posted by Skald (4446 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
And PS2's library is fucking legendary. It has arguably the greatest library of any console ever produced. "
You need to get out of the past and see that not a single one of them has aged well today. "
Okami and Ace Combat 5 look and play just fine. Do you just throw your old games out or something?
#264 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -
@extremeradical said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Cube said:

" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
You need to get out of the past and see that not a single one of them has aged well today. "
Okami and Ace Combat 5 look and play just fine. Do you just throw your old games out or something? "
Final Fantasy XII has on another hand, aged so well that there isn't a single jrpg on the newer consoles that put it to shame. Many  tried to copy it, but it is still better. 

Also Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4 and Fatal Frame 2 are still considered to this day the best horror games.  

Just to name a few. 
#265 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"@Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Games like: 

• Persona 3 and 4
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Xenogears 1, 2 and 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Manhunt
  • Mercenaries
  • Half Life
  • Timesplitters
  • Champions of Norrath
  • God of War 1 and 2
  • Ico
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • GrimGrimoire
  • Disgaea
  • Okami
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

"

GTA and RE4 are multiplatform but none of them have aged well.
#266 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -

Same with Manhunt.
#267 Posted by Cube (4410 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
I'd play Shadow of the Colossus before I'd play any game this gen. 

I really hope the new age of gamers really aren't as stupid as you.
#268 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -
@K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

"@Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

" @iAmJohn said:

" @K0rN said:

Games like: 

• Persona 3 and 4
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Xenogears 1, 2 and 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Manhunt
  • Mercenaries
  • Half Life
  • Timesplitters
  • Champions of Norrath
  • God of War 1 and 2
  • Ico
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • GrimGrimoire
  • Disgaea
  • Okami
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

"
GTA and RE4 are multiplatform but none of them have aged well. "
The GTA games i agree, but as GTA is very much an one trick poney, despite it's aged graphics they are still fun and playable. And some people put the ps2 gta titles in a higher regard than gta IV. 

Resident Evil 4, might not have now great graphics, average, but that game still rocks!  It's light years ahead of RE5.

Not everything is centered in the graphical department.  

And some loved genres will probably never achieve the brilliance they had with the ps2. Like the jrpg, that lack serious variety and quality on the ps3 and xbox 360.
#269 Posted by davidwitten22 (1712 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
"@Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Games like: 

• Persona 3 and 4
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Xenogears 1, 2 and 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Manhunt
  • Mercenaries
  • Half Life
  • Timesplitters
  • Champions of Norrath
  • God of War 1 and 2
  • Ico
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • GrimGrimoire
  • Disgaea
  • Okami
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

"
you really won't give up this argument, will you? The Ps2 is the best system in gaming history. The sheer amount of games that were made for it, along with the sheer amount of GREAT games for it. I bought a new Ps2 game last month, and I've been playing it way more than my Ps3. If I had to choose one system, I'd choose the Ps2. The Ps3 is nothing in comparison. Graphics don't make the game. There are so many aspects that are more important than graphics. I could play my Ps2 for a day straight and still have another game I want to play. 

I don't care that the Ps3 is prettier, the Ps2 is such an amazing console. I wish you would understand that, because you're missing out on some great games.
#270 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -

Wow, did this thing get personal and off-track whilst I was at work  :-) 

I voted it should just be discontinued, but stated my reasons, but none of them were any good to Sony.  They still make money.  Of course they shouldn't discontinue it.  I still want them to, but that is personal.  I still say though, that the only way to get good games for the PS2 is to buy them used as it is simply a glorified karoake machine.  Going to the shop and looking at the games is just a waste of time.  

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
#271 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2071 posts) -

I'm sorry, but Mr. K0rn has neglected to notice several various reasons why the console is still going, and I'm going to condense them into one post so he will either have to notice them, or ignore them as usual. Further note that I am unbiased either way, I have all of the PS2 games that I could want (at least to date) and own a Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 :

- The second most basic rule to economics is "If it sells, keep it" and that is the fatal flaw to your arguement.  

- Furthermore, the most basic rule of economics, that is Supply N' Demand, is supported here. The PS2 is demanded by those who either cannot afford 300+ for a console, don't want a Wii, or simply don't want to pour money into a hobby like that. 

- Like I said previously, most people aren't willing to pour 300 dollars into a black (or white) box with fancy circuitboards because they aren't "Extreme" like you and me.  

- The obsolescence you seem to believe in is just pathetic. The PS2 is not obsolete because Sony isn't focusing time on the thing. An item is obsolete when it is no longer viable to sell, produce, or spend time on. You are confusing this with being out-dated, which it is also not. The 7th gen is upon us, but the PS2 has reasonable enough hardware (in fact, hardware that surpasses a 7th gen console) that it maintains sale count by both the "hardcore" and "casual".  

- And lastly, SONY DOESN'T SPEND TIME ON THE PS2! When someone supports a console, they run ads, they publish 20+ games a year (especially if the console they're "spending time on" is 1st party), and they most importantly...hold on...UPDATE the system. The system hasn't had any recalls because there is no hardware to update because...Wait...hold... 

They're not spending time on it. 
#272 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Cube said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
I'd play Shadow of the Colossus before I'd play any game this gen.   I really hope the new age of gamers really aren't as stupid as you. "

I am going to guess you JUST got your 7th gen system based on how retarded you are about games.
#273 Posted by K0rN (775 posts) -
@davidwitten22 said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Jeust said:
"@Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Games like: 

• Persona 3 and 4
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Xenogears 1, 2 and 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Manhunt
  • Mercenaries
  • Half Life
  • Timesplitters
  • Champions of Norrath
  • God of War 1 and 2
  • Ico
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • GrimGrimoire
  • Disgaea
  • Okami
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

"
you really won't give up this argument, will you? The Ps2 is the best system in gaming history. The sheer amount of games that were made for it, along with the sheer amount of GREAT games for it. I bought a new Ps2 game last month, and I've been playing it way more than my Ps3. If I had to choose one system, I'd choose the Ps2. The Ps3 is nothing in comparison. Graphics don't make the game. There are so many aspects that are more important than graphics. I could play my Ps2 for a day straight and still have another game I want to play.  I don't care that the Ps3 is prettier, the Ps2 is such an amazing console. I wish you would understand that, because you're missing out on some great games. "

By now, I have played all the games I wanted to play on that console and let me just say that people are idiots if they say that graphics don't matter. I will state a few reasons why they do: 

Better graphics for story driven games=More believable stories. 

Better graphics in atmospheric games=More immersion. 

Better graphics in violent games=More satisfying kills.

Also I would like to point out that if I were to prefer the PS2 as the better console, it's fine but if I liked the Xbox better then suddenly I'm a mindless fanboy, right?
#274 Posted by iAmJohn (6293 posts) -

Why hasn't this awful thread been locked?

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
#275 Posted by Arcane_Workshop (64 posts) -

The only people who can really answer the question of whether or not to retire and discontinue the PS2, are inside Sony. If they're still supporting it, then obviously its bringing something to the table, be it money or just general appreciation to their customers.

Otherwise... it doesn't really affect any of us one way or the other, so.... who cares?

#276 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -
@K0rN said:

" @davidwitten22 said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

"@Cube said:

" @K0rN said:

" @Jeust said:

" @iAmJohn said:
" @K0rN said:
Games like: 

• Persona 3 and 4
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Xenogears 1, 2 and 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Manhunt
  • Mercenaries
  • Half Life
  • Timesplitters
  • Champions of Norrath
  • God of War 1 and 2
  • Ico
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • GrimGrimoire
  • Disgaea
  • Okami
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

"
you really won't give up this argument, will you? The Ps2 is the best system in gaming history. The sheer amount of games that were made for it, along with the sheer amount of GREAT games for it. I bought a new Ps2 game last month, and I've been playing it way more than my Ps3. If I had to choose one system, I'd choose the Ps2. The Ps3 is nothing in comparison. Graphics don't make the game. There are so many aspects that are more important than graphics. I could play my Ps2 for a day straight and still have another game I want to play.  I don't care that the Ps3 is prettier, the Ps2 is such an amazing console. I wish you would understand that, because you're missing out on some great games. "
By now, I have played all the games I wanted to play on that console and let me just say that people are idiots if they say that graphics don't matter. I will state a few reasons why they do:  Better graphics for story driven games=More believable stories.  Better graphics in atmospheric games=More immersion.  Better graphics in violent games=More satisfying kills. Also I would like to point out that if I were to prefer the PS2 as the better console, it's fine but if I liked the Xbox better then suddenly I'm a mindless fanboy, right? "
As seen with FFXIII, more than give a believable story, scratches also the towns from the drawing board. 

The better the graphics are, more work time and space they require. So generally it means that something got less attention, and as the each scenario has a superior quality, they are generally smaller. So while the experience graphically can be superior, the "world" is smaller and less varied.  

I prefer much more games with less graphic quality, better gameplay and a bigger world, than a graphical masterpiece.   
#277 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

yes, i think that they should. i never play mine anymore and it is kind of broken. like a year ago it finally went down to $99 i thought it was always that price.

#278 Edited by iAmJohn (6293 posts) -

PS2 just sold another 100k+ systems last month.  More proof that the system should not be discontinued.

#279 Posted by damnboyadvance (4197 posts) -

Not yet. Plenty of people still own one compared to those who own a PS3. Games are still made with it. Money is still made off of it. There isn't a realistic reason to discontinue it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.