Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Interactive Entertainment America

Company »

Sony Interactive Entertainment America is the North American subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment. SIEA is responsible for publishing and marketing Sony's hardware and software in that region.

Sony invents completely new type of multiplayer experience!

thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thomasriis1987

Hi everybody! (this shit is awesome)

Normally, I’m a Microsoft kind-of-guy, but I might seriously convert to SONY  within the next couple of years. …Why? Shit dude, I’ll tell you why!

The way the glasses filters the images

As we all know, Sony is really into all that 3D technology mumbo-jumbo, but what I didn’t knew, was the opportunities these TV’s will bring to gaming.

It turns out that Sony has patented a 3DTV (that was fun writing…), which is able to show up to 3 different 2D pictures at once, and 2 3D pictures. That might sound confusing, but by putting glasses (or shutters as they call them) on, you will be able to filter the images so you only see one of the images. Yes – you will be able to play multiplayer on the same screen, depending on the glasses you wear, you’ll see a total different picture than your opponent on the same screen – in full screen.

The way it works is, that the glasses can turn themselves on and off, real quickly – synchronized to the TV, this will cause the viewer to isolate half of the pictures so you only see them – pretty simple, but f***g cool.

Imagine this senario - phew!

Imagine you wanna play, “well, we better say Playstation”, but your girlfriend wants to see, “let’s go for the cliché – Sex and the City” – well, then you each wear a different pair of shutters, and problem solved (very social by the way).

As mentioned, it will be able to show both 2D and 3D – and the opportunities? Well, I’ll say endless!

The patent is one year old, and yes, they might never use the technology (doooh!) – especially after all the 3D fuss and the Playstation being able to deal with 3D and all.

Now, I didn’t see this coming – and I’m looking forward to it!

You can enjoy the patent description, right here -  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100177174.pdf

I Love you all, have a fantastic day... or night! (insert smiley with 3D glasses)

thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thomasriis1987

Hi everybody! (this shit is awesome)

Normally, I’m a Microsoft kind-of-guy, but I might seriously convert to SONY  within the next couple of years. …Why? Shit dude, I’ll tell you why!

As we all know, Sony is really into all that 3D technology mumbo-jumbo, but what I didn’t knew, was the opportunities these TV’s will bring to gaming.

It turns out that Sony has patented a 3DTV (that was fun writing…), which is able to show up to 3 different 2D pictures at once, and 2 3D pictures. That might sound confusing, but by putting glasses (or shutters as they call them) on, you will be able to filter the images so you only see one of the images. Yes – you will be able to play multiplayer on the same screen, depending on the glasses you wear, you’ll see a total different picture than your opponent on the same screen – in full screen.

The way it works is, that the glasses can turn themselves on and off, real quickly – synchronized to the TV, this will cause the viewer to isolate half of the pictures so you only see them – pretty simple, but f***g cool.

Imagine you wanna play, “well, we better say Playstation”, but your girlfriend wants to see, “let’s go for the cliché – Sex and the City” – well, then you each wear a different pair of shutters, and problem solved (very social by the way).

As mentioned, it will be able to show both 2D and 3D – and the opportunities? Well, I’ll say endless!

The patent is one year old, and yes, they might never use the technology (doooh!) – especially after all the 3D fuss and the Playstation being able to deal with 3D and all.

Now, I didn’t see this coming – and I’m looking forward to it!

You can enjoy the patent description, right here -  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100177174.pdf

I Love you all, have a fantastic day... or night! (insert smiley with 3D glasses)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

What about the sound tho? Build in headphones? 

Bit crazy shooting stuff with Sex and the City in the background, altho I can understand the rage it induces with male players.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Everyone would need their own set of headphones or it would be kind of pointless. Plus none of this 3D crap works for those of us with only one good eye.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust

Nice, but it will be cool for the thousand people with a 3DTV in the meantime. 

thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thomasriis1987

I'm sure the headphones will be included :) - and yes, Sex and the City might just be the solution to my losing streak in deadliest warrior right now :D haha

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Shit dude, that's like totally not awesome! 
    I'll stick with my HDTV 

That shit will fuck up your vision in the long run.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By vager
    Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Just because it's patented doesn't mean it'll happen anytime soon, if it all. They're just stating they have the idea and might try to do it.  

Also, HUGE strain on the Playstation's processing power.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

Eh, I still hate 3d and will never buy a 3dtv even if they're mainstream.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I guess that could be useful for sharing the TV with your girlfriend like your example, but I don't see anyone building a multiplayer mode to support it until it's a standard feature in most new TV sets... Which will probably never happen.

thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thomasriis1987
    @Vager said:

" I remember seeing something similar at CES a few years ago. 

Edit: Here's an article about it from 2008:   http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/007047.php "

interesting reading! - looks like the same concept. - It sounds like a way to potent idear to let it slip - we might see a war simular to HDDVD/BLURAY, Betamax/vhs - you get the picture
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Scooper
    @thomasriis1987 said:
    I’m a Microsoft kind-of-guy, but I might seriously convert to SONY  within the next couple of years.
    I stopped reading here. Come on mate, it's not 2007 any more.
    thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thomasriis1987
    @Scooper: 
    your loss dude -
    (seriously, relax - love from me to you )
    Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Radar

3DTV = $2k +
    3D Glasses  = $90-200 per pair  
      (From looking at Amazon) 

I'll pass, no matter how good it is.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

I stopped reading at "Shutter glasses". 

Shutter glasses need to die.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By KaosAngel

....would it still give me the same headaches I get from watching movies in IMAX 3D?  As much as I like tech, I never got the pull of 3d, that shit really hurts my head.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TotalEklypse

meh. 3d needs to go away. besides it'll give you a tumor in your face. 

No Caption Provided
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

That's a pretty cool idea actually. I hate splitscreen and this seems to be the remedy to that.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg

This is a terrible idea. Screen-looking is a key component to any muiltiplayer experience!

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah im worried about the vision problems and other strains  it could cause to you for using it for long stretches of time. Video games are already pretty bad for your eyes :/

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Adamsons
    @crusader8463 said:
    " Plus none of this 3D crap works for those of us with only one good eye. "
    This unfortunately.
    thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thomasriis1987

And it became a reality :D

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

And shocker, it's kinda shoddy. Lots of ghosting, tiny screen and a ridiculous asking price of 500$.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RE_Player1
    @XII_Sniper I bought the display and think it's great, mind you I was coming from an old Toshiba 32" that only did 720p. The 3D for one user is awesome, from what I've seen of games like Uncharted 3 and Shadow of the Colossus, and the actual display looks slick. That said there is ghosting with 2 people and the price is high but for my own personal use I love it.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wickedsc3

I would imagine for the cost of one TV with this tech (TV, 2 Shutter Glasses, 2 Head Phones), I could just buy 2 50" Plasma's.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By DjCmeP

@Radar: The price will probably drop in a year or two.

PS. I don't support 3D in anyway...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

@msavo said:

@XII_Sniper I bought the display and think it's great, mind you I was coming from an old Toshiba 32" that only did 720p. The 3D for one user is awesome, from what I've seen of games like Uncharted 3 and Shadow of the Colossus, and the actual display looks slick. That said there is ghosting with 2 people and the price is high but for my own personal use I love it.

I'm sure it's fine for personal use, but it's still a 3D television and they haven't even come close to making it a viable piece of tech. 3D still looks awful when I saw it in the sony store, just as bad as any 3D TV right now. I still think it's a fad that won't last, 4K and 2.39:1 TVs will be the wave of the future, not 3D.

It just seems crazy when I just bought a 42" 1080p Sharp for 50 bucks more than what sony's asking. I was coming from a 720p 26" Sharp and it's a world of difference.

duder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By duder123

This is not new technology, I read about something exactly like this for the ps2 almost 10 years ago. I don't think it was ever commercially released

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DonPixel

The tested guys used that tech with a Sony TV in a quicklook, There is ghosting you need to have your head and sight super fixed for you not to loose the image. Needless to say it seems pointless and dumb.

Also who would really want this other than poor people? Is then ironic 3Dtv is expensive.. like why don't you just buy a couple of LEDtv then?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.