Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Interactive Entertainment America

Company »

Sony Interactive Entertainment America is the North American subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment. SIEA is responsible for publishing and marketing Sony's hardware and software in that region.

Sony jumping on the "charging for used games online" bandwagon.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696
    DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Hope?  For a company wanting to protect their investment? 

I have no problem with this tactic, I buy just about everything new.  Gaming is a hobby of luxury, this sense of entitlement from people that buy used, or flat out pirate titles, is hilarious.  I also have no problem with the used game trade.  It is a consumers right to resell something they purchases, just as it is the business's right to put in measures to protect their product, and maximize their profits.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Damn. A lot of games aren't worth their $60 price tag, that's why I buy used games and rent.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

It makes perfect sense from a business stand point.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696
    @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " Hope?  For a company wanting to protect their investment?  I have no problem with this tactic, I buy just about everything new.  Gaming is a hobby of luxury, this sense of entitlement from people that buy used, or flat out pirate titles, is hilarious.  I also have no problem with the used game trade.  It is a consumers right to resell something they purchases, just as it is the business's right to put in measures to protect their product, and maximize their profits. "
    Are you kidding me? Their investment is still protected. As far as pirating goes, that has nothing to do with the used game market. The publishers deliberately said the measure to charge for online play is specifically for used games. New games will get a code in the box. If one person sells their game, that person loses the experience while the next person that buys it gains the experience. No one wins and no one loses. This action only shows that the publishers wants to gain more money. So could you please tell me how these companies are losing money from used game sales?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

Gaming is a hobby of luxury, this sense of entitlement from people that buy used.    

That's interesting and true. But with measures like these i can't see the gaming market getting bigger, but only shrinking.  True that it's a luxury, but if these trends continue, of increasing  prices for the consumer, people will be driven away from it, and will indeed be a luxury of the very few. 

Profit runs the business, but in what direction? The ground? 

Retro-gaming looks more and more interesting from where I'm standing.  
    DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DrDarkStryfe
    @Axxol said:
    " Damn. A lot of games aren't worth their $60 price tag, that's why I buy used games and rent. "
    Since you do not want to pay full price for a title, the publishers do not think you should have full access. 

I agree that not all games are with the price tag they have, I use Gamefly a lot for titles that I do not feel are worth the price of admission.  If I end up getting a game that uses this method, I will not be mad.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " Damn. A lot of games aren't worth their $60 price tag, that's why I buy used games and rent. "
    Since you do not want to pay full price for a title, the publishers do not think you should have full access.    
      You've been promoted to Captain Obvious. 
    Persecution89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Persecution89
    @Axxol said:
    " @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Axxol said:
      You've been promoted to Captain Obvious.  "

you're right, it is obvious.. so where's the conflict or misunderstanding coming from here? either pay the full price of the game or tough shit basically.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By animateria

Eh. I think publishers got a point.

They don't see any money from used games.

Then they need to support those players online for free? 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch13696

I'm still wondering how the publishers are entitled to used games. They already made their money off of the game.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

Shit! I hadn't even thought about this shit going against rentals. FUCK!!!! And I just started Gamefly too.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ch13696
    @animateria: I love Penny-Arcade, but that comic is all wrong. Well except for the retarded WWE fan. You're still a GameStop customer even if you buy the game new from their store. The publisher lost their customer when he sold the game. They gained a customer when the next person bought it. No gain and no lose. Everyones happy.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Persecution89 said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Axxol said:
    you're right, it is obvious.. so where's the conflict or misunderstanding coming from here? either pay the full price of the game or tough shit basically. "
    I'm not misunderstanding anything. If this becomes uniform for all companies, it's not the end of the world. You act as if I'm whining about it.
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @ch13696:  You have to understand that these games costs millions to make. For example, World of Warcraft alone costs Blizzard up to 90 million dollars a year. So when they see that Gamestop is making Billions off the used game market they feel that its because they allow it. So, they take away anyone's ability to make a profit off the used sale to allow more first sales. 
    The end result is that the publisher, and by proxy the developer, make more money to use to make more games, its not like they spend it on prostitutes and heroin.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria
    @ch13696 said:
    " @animateria: I love Penny-Arcade, but that comic is all wrong. Well except for the retarded WWE fan. You're still a GameStop customer even if you buy the game new from their store. The publisher lost their customer when he sold the game. They gained a customer when the next person bought it. No gain and no lose. Everyones happy. "
    Sure with a new game, you're both GS and the publishers customer.

However when it comes to used games the game becomes pure profit for GS only. And while you can argue that the publisher got all their share with the first customer, that prevents the sale of a new copy of the game for the publisher. And with used copies they are now supporting players that are not their customers.

I'm pretty sure publishers tried to gain some cash from GS for used game sales but it hasn't worked out at all.  So this is their best option aside from DLC.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a great thing, doesn't affect me as I always buy games new (unless I can't find them new) to support the game. 

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jtmosh
    @ch13696 said:

" @animateria: I love Penny-Arcade, but that comic is all wrong. Well except for the retarded WWE fan. You're still a GameStop customer even if you buy the game new from their store. The publisher lost their customer when he sold the game. They gained a customer when the next person bought it. No gain and no lose. Everyones happy. "

Let's say that someone buys a game new for $60. Then, when they're done with it, they sell it back to Gamestop for $20. Then Gamestop puts it back on the shelf for $55. The next person that comes in to the store looking that game sees the used one and thinks "I could buy the new one, but the used is $5 less, might as well get that one." Instead of selling a new copy (meaning the people that created the game get money for their product) 100% of that money goes right to Gamestop. It's not that hard to understand.

The only problem that I see with codes like this is...how far away are from ALL the content from a game being locked away unless you have a one time use code? Offering incentives for buying a game new is a great idea, but I'm not sure they're going about it the right way.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ch13696
    @BunkerBuster said:
    " @ch13696:  You have to understand that these games costs millions to make. For example, World of Warcraft alone costs Blizzard up to 90 million dollars a year. So when they see that Gamestop is making Billions off the used game market they feel that its because they allow it. So, they take away anyone's ability to make a profit off the used sale to allow more first sales.  The end result is that the publisher, and by proxy the developer, make more money to use to make more games, its not like they spend it on prostitutes and heroin. "
    No, they spend it on the CEO's. Well, I don't know where all that money goes to. Anyways, World of Warcraft is a bad example because it's a PC game and it's an MMO. No used games there. Let's use Call of Duty as an example. It cost Activision $50 million to have Infinity Ward make MW2. So far they sold 20 million copies as of June. So far that's $1.2 billion. Now I know for a fact not all of that will go to the next Modern Warfare game. Maybe $60 million this time. So the rest of that money, we don't know where it goes to. Maybe it is the CEO's, maybe royalties, maybe charity (I wish). Anyways, my point is all the money doesn't go to development.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ch13696
    @animateria said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    Sure with a new game, you're both GS and the publishers customer.  However when it comes to used games the game becomes pure profit for GS only. And while you can argue that the publisher got all their share with the first customer, that prevents the sale of a new copy of the game for the publisher. And with used copies they are now supporting players that are not their customers. I'm pretty sure publishers tried to gain some cash from GS for used game sales but it hasn't worked out at all.  So this is their best option aside from DLC. "
    Okay, let me put it this way. I sell the game to my friend. What then? All it is is switching customers. They're not losing a customer, but their not gaining a customer either. 
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By animateria
    @ch13696 said:

" @animateria said:

" @ch13696 said:
    Sure with a new game, you're both GS and the publishers customer.  However when it comes to used games the game becomes pure profit for GS only. And while you can argue that the publisher got all their share with the first customer, that prevents the sale of a new copy of the game for the publisher. And with used copies they are now supporting players that are not their customers. I'm pretty sure publishers tried to gain some cash from GS for used game sales but it hasn't worked out at all.  So this is their best option aside from DLC. "
    Okay, let me put it this way. I sell the game to my friend. What then? All it is is switching customers. They're not losing a customer, but their not gaining a customer either.  "
    They actually supported two customers for the price of one in that scenario.

Except the second guy didn't give money to the publishers, he gave money to you. 

You gain profit by selling the game to a friend, the publisher gains nothing.

Now let's multiply that by GameStop's used game sales. Publishers support around 2-10 customers for 1 copy of the game. And they don't see a penny out of that.
    Persecution89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Persecution89
    @Axxol said:
    " @Persecution89 said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Axxol said:
    you're right, it is obvious.. so where's the conflict or misunderstanding coming from here? either pay the full price of the game or tough shit basically. "
    I'm not misunderstanding anything. If this becomes uniform for all companies, it's not the end of the world. You act as if I'm whining about it. "

I'm sorry i didn't mean to come across as a jerk and truth be told i was more aiming my comment at the topic creator, i just replied to you because you referred to Darkstryfe as captain obvious and i thought this route sony is taking was pretty straight forward and understandable. Again i'm sorry for coming across as over aggressive i'm just shaking off a few drinks.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch13696
    @animateria said:
    " @ch13696 said:

" @animateria said:

" @ch13696 said:
    Okay, let me put it this way. I sell the game to my friend. What then? All it is is switching customers. They're not losing a customer, but their not gaining a customer either.  "
    They actually supported two customers for the price of one in that scenario.  Except the second guy didn't give money to the publishers, he gave money to you.   You gain profit by selling the game to a friend, the publisher gains nothing.   Now let's multiply that by GameStop's used game sales. Publishers support around 2-10 customers for 1 copy of the game. And they don't see a penny out of that. "
    Why does everyone swear that once someone sells a game it multiplies into so many different copies. The publisher is still supporting just the one customer. If someone doesn't own the game anymore then the publisher doesn't support them. There's no 2-10 customers, it's just one. And they still see money from the initial sale. 
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @ch13696 said:
    No, they spend it on the CEO's. Well, I don't know where all that money goes to. Anyways, World of Warcraft is a bad example because it's a PC game and it's an MMO. No used games there. Let's use Call of Duty as an example. It cost Activision $50 million to have Infinity Ward make MW2. So far they sold 20 million copies as of June. So far that's $1.2 billion. Now I know for a fact not all of that will go to the next Modern Warfare game. Maybe $60 million this time. So the rest of that money, we don't know where it goes to. Maybe it is the CEO's, maybe royalties, maybe charity (I wish). Anyways, my point is all the money doesn't go to development. "
    Bobby Kotick is the CEO of the largest games publisher in the world. The World. He is salaried at fourteen million per year by the majority shareholders.. The money does not go to the CEO's. Now as for why I choose WoW its because they have a small development team and servers to run and most of that money is for the servers. Servers like the ones Activision have in order to run their games online. The money they make from the first sale goes toward everything dealing with the game, not the just the salary of the people that make it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.