The chance of a PS5 announcement next year?

• 56 results
Posted by Giant_Gamer (720 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: The chance of a PS5 announcement next year? (458 votes)

High 1%
Medium 4%
Low 51%
Impossible 41%
Results 3%

Next year we'll be witnessing the end of the fifth year of the current generation. Unlike Microsoft, Sony has released their "enhanced" console last year and it feels like they are now ready to jump into a next generation as they have nothing new to bring with the current PS4 hardware.

#51 Edited by frymillstrum (1320 posts) -

Sigh* can we just just not right now... please...

#52 Posted by Nodima (2550 posts) -

To be honest I could and would play my PS4 for a pretty long time. As someone who owns a pair of decent ~40" televisions that top out at 720p I'm not in a huge rush for consoles that are absolutely focused on the second generation of HD technologies. I'm not in a position to budget for a TV and I'm not interested in owning a console that I'm not getting what its designers intended me to get out of it; same reason I haven't bought a PS Pro and have no interest in doing so.

#53 Edited by Quipido (1538 posts) -

I don't think so either, it's too soon...

I don't want to buy a 4k TV, with PS4 pro specifically I woul love to have 1080p HDR one, but there are only a few aviable. I read Sony is bringing some in the future (LINK), which would be ideal. I am pro-framerate and the color depth improvement with more detail (in games that support a choice for that) in HD would be great.

#54 Posted by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

Honestly, I'm not expecting an announcement until 2020. It would be real shitty for them to announce a new console so soon after launching their revised hardware because I just bought a Pro

#55 Posted by AlisterCat (8045 posts) -

I read this as Persona 5 not Playstation 5 so my vote was wrong. 2 years out minimum. It won't be so soon.

#56 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

No chance.

Console generations don't last 5 years anymore. On top of that, there is no reason to bring out a new PlayStation or Xbox because the investment in this generation is a lot higher and sales continue to rack up. You don't break your own sales unless you have something you can sell to your entire install base reliably, which a new console architecture does not. A PS4 Pro update though? I could see it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.