Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Talking About the NGP.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

SONY UNVEIL THEIR LATEST HANDHELD GAMING CREATION, THE NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE.

Anyone who follows the gaming industry with even the slightest degree of interest will have seen the months of speculation concerning Sony's latest hand held device, articles solely based around the fact that some journalist heard that his cousin, heard from his brother, that the PSP2 would have a touch pad flooded sites like Kotaku, Eurogamer and so many more in recent months. Now being gamers yourselves, you'll no doubt know that we love a good rumour here or there, but even I grew tired of seeing the same speculative articles on my favourite video game websites. But credit where credit is due, it appears that most of what was written was right on the mark.  

The PSP2, or NGP whatever you want to call it is certainly a technology rich device.
     The PSP2, or NGP whatever you want to call it is certainly a technology rich device.
    Finally, we can officially talk about the Next Generation Portable, at least that's what Sony want you to call it, it's not called the PSP2 apparently. While all these PSP2 rumours have been making the rounds, we've also been witness to Sony's other project in an Android based phone in partnership with Sony Ericsson, dubbed the 'Ericsson Xperia Play'. But for now, we'll stick with talking about the NGP and what we now officially know about the device currently on course for a Winter release in Japan. Let's talk hardware: 

• CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 Core (4 Core)
    • GPU SGX543MP4+
    • External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5 (width x height x depth)
      (tentative, excludes largest projection)
    • Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
    • Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
    • Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone
    • Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), three-axis electronic compass
    • Keys / Switches: PS Button, Power Button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right, Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume Buttons
    • Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode) Bluetooth® 2.1 +EDR ( A2DP/AVRCPHSP)
     (Sources: KotakuGiantbomb). 

Sony touted it's technological prowess, but how much will the NGP cost consumers? 
    Sony touted it's technological prowess, but how much will the NGP cost consumers? 
    How much will it cost? I bet that's the first thing you asked yourself when shown the technical hardware of the device, I know it's the first thing I thought. It certainly sounds expensive, and with Sony touting the fact that the handheld will be able to run Playstation 3 quality games, one at to ask how the battery will perform. Now I won't get all techy with you and start rambling on about each piece of hardware within the device, I'm sure someone more qualified then I will be able to do that, but I don't need to tell you that the more tech you had to a device, the more it costs to manufacture, so I'm sure the price will be an hot topic in the coming months.  

One things for certain, the NGP is a powerful piece of hardware and Sony have stated that the handheld is as powerful as a Playstation 3. Now that's big talk, but it's worth keeping in mind that the screen of the NGP isn't anywhere near as big as most gamers television screens, so being able to brag about such visual quality isn't such a shock. At the press conference Sony reportedly showed off a demo of Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the NGP, with Kojima Productions own Hideo Kojima talking about the power and possibilities of Sony's newest portable console. It's seems Mr Kojima is himself working on a currently unnamed title for the device, a new Metal Gear game seems a real possibility, for both NGP and PS3 maybe?

Mr Kojima wasn't the only games developer to show off the NGP's power, Epic games showed of their own demo running in real time and company founder Tim Sweeny told the eager media 'We at Epic regard this system as a game-changer''. Now unfortunately we haven't yet seen anything of these demos, so we'll have to take the media's word for it for the time being. Capcom were also present, and this being Japan they showed off the latest in the insanely popular Monster Hunter franchise which will be playable on both PSP and NGP, Capcom's Jun Takeuchi demonstrated Monster Hunter Portable 3 and later even talked about Capcom's MT Framework engine which they're getting ready for NGP, while showing off some Lost Planet 2 footage rendered for the device.

Don't call it the PSP2, or Sony will be rather upset with you. 
    Staying on the subject of games, Sony confirmed that a number of their big hitters will appear on the platform including Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet and Wipeout. But where will you buy these games I hear you ask? Well you'll be happy to hear that Sony will be offering these future titles via the Playstation Network as digital downloads, stored to the NGP's storage. But there certainly not alienating the causal crowd, and have confirmed to Eurogamer that you'll be able to purchase NGP games in store. Eurogamer have also revealed through 'sources' that the device could have a battery life of around four to five hours, but Sony didn't mention anything concerning the battery at the press conference so we'll have to wait and see.  

From a personal perspective, the Next Generation Portable is a rather fancy looking device that borrows more from it's older brother then the most recent reform of the device, the PSP Go. It's a large handheld with a screen that's larger then the original PSP screen and of course touch sensitive. Dual analog sticks make an appearance, but we'll have to wait and see how they compare to the poor analog stick found on the original PSP device. Front and rear facing cameras are a neat if unspectacular feature of the NGP, and Sony confirm Wi-Fi and 3G wireless connectivity. So it's fascinating stuff, Sony have thrown in their fighter against Nintendo's 3DS and only time will tell if we're not looking at a repeat of the DS vs PSP battle all over again.  

What are your thoughts on the Next Generation Portable? 

Thanks for Reading, and Keep Gaming!
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

SONY UNVEIL THEIR LATEST HANDHELD GAMING CREATION, THE NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE.

Anyone who follows the gaming industry with even the slightest degree of interest will have seen the months of speculation concerning Sony's latest hand held device, articles solely based around the fact that some journalist heard that his cousin, heard from his brother, that the PSP2 would have a touch pad flooded sites like Kotaku, Eurogamer and so many more in recent months. Now being gamers yourselves, you'll no doubt know that we love a good rumour here or there, but even I grew tired of seeing the same speculative articles on my favourite video game websites. But credit where credit is due, it appears that most of what was written was right on the mark.  

Finally, we can officially talk about the Next Generation Portable, at least that's what Sony want you to call it, it's not called the PSP2 apparently. While all these PSP2 rumours have been making the rounds, we've also been witness to Sony's other project in an Android based phone in partnership with Sony Ericsson, dubbed the 'Ericsson Xperia Play'. But for now, we'll stick with talking about the NGP and what we now officially know about the device currently on course for a Winter release in Japan. Let's talk hardware: 

• CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 Core (4 Core)
    • GPU SGX543MP4+
    • External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5 (width x height x depth)
      (tentative, excludes largest projection)
    • Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
    • Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
    • Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone
    • Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), three-axis electronic compass
    • Keys / Switches: PS Button, Power Button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right, Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume Buttons
    • Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode) Bluetooth® 2.1 +EDR ( A2DP/AVRCPHSP)
     (Sources: KotakuGiantbomb). 

How much will it cost? I bet that's the first thing you asked yourself when shown the technical hardware of the device, I know it's the first thing I thought. It certainly sounds expensive, and with Sony touting the fact that the handheld will be able to run Playstation 3 quality games, one at to ask how the battery will perform. Now I won't get all techy with you and start rambling on about each piece of hardware within the device, I'm sure someone more qualified then I will be able to do that, but I don't need to tell you that the more tech you had to a device, the more it costs to manufacture, so I'm sure the price will be an hot topic in the coming months.  

One things for certain, the NGP is a powerful piece of hardware and Sony have stated that the handheld is as powerful as a Playstation 3. Now that's big talk, but it's worth keeping in mind that the screen of the NGP isn't anywhere near as big as most gamers television screens, so being able to brag about such visual quality isn't such a shock. At the press conference Sony reportedly showed off a demo of Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the NGP, with Kojima Productions own Hideo Kojima talking about the power and possibilities of Sony's newest portable console. It's seems Mr Kojima is himself working on a currently unnamed title for the device, a new Metal Gear game seems a real possibility, for both NGP and PS3 maybe?

Mr Kojima wasn't the only games developer to show off the NGP's power, Epic games showed of their own demo running in real time and company founder Tim Sweeny told the eager media 'We at Epic regard this system as a game-changer''. Now unfortunately we haven't yet seen anything of these demos, so we'll have to take the media's word for it for the time being. Capcom were also present, and this being Japan they showed off the latest in the insanely popular Monster Hunter franchise which will be playable on both PSP and NGP, Capcom's Jun Takeuchi demonstrated Monster Hunter Portable 3 and later even talked about Capcom's MT Framework engine which they're getting ready for NGP, while showing off some Lost Planet 2 footage rendered for the device.

Staying on the subject of games, Sony confirmed that a number of their big hitters will appear on the platform including Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet and Wipeout. But where will you buy these games I hear you ask? Well you'll be happy to hear that Sony will be offering these future titles via the Playstation Network as digital downloads, stored to the NGP's storage. But there certainly not alienating the causal crowd, and have confirmed to Eurogamer that you'll be able to purchase NGP games in store. Eurogamer have also revealed through 'sources' that the device could have a battery life of around four to five hours, but Sony didn't mention anything concerning the battery at the press conference so we'll have to wait and see.  

From a personal perspective, the Next Generation Portable is a rather fancy looking device that borrows more from it's older brother then the most recent reform of the device, the PSP Go. It's a large handheld with a screen that's larger then the original PSP screen and of course touch sensitive. Dual analog sticks make an appearance, but we'll have to wait and see how they compare to the poor analog stick found on the original PSP device. Front and rear facing cameras are a neat if unspectacular feature of the NGP, and Sony confirm Wi-Fi and 3G wireless connectivity. So it's fascinating stuff, Sony have thrown in their fighter against Nintendo's 3DS and only time will tell if we're not looking at a repeat of the DS vs PSP battle all over again.  

What are your thoughts on the Next Generation Portable? 

Thanks for Reading, and Keep Gaming!
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

See, interesting, but I'm gonna wait until I see actual footage from games, and a price point before I say anything definitive. 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Ace829

It's a very interesting device. I'm wondering how that whole flash-based memory game is going to work out, but it's a step in the right direction over the full on digital distribution or UMD failure. The codename is pretty dumb so I'm sticking to PSP2 until a true name is announced. The ability to play PS3 games is certainly a big feature for the device, and a good one at that. However, it doesn't appeal to me since I would rather play that on a TV. The price point is obviously a huge factor. 

Pricing the 3DS at $250 was a fantastic move for Nintendo (and solidified my purchase) if the PSP2 goes anywhere above $300 then I have a hard time seeing them outsell 3DS at all. The PSP was a success in my mind simply because it gave the DS a run for it's money. (At least in Japan) So I can see them starting out equally as long as the PSP2 isn't priced ridiculously. Me? I am probably going to stick with the 3DS for the foreseeable future. Especially with my dwindling bank account, I find it hard to own two handhelds that are above $200.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.