Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 29, 2008

The fifth installment in Namco's Soul series of weapon-based fighting games, Soulcalibur IV is the first to be released on seventh-generation consoles and the first online entry in the series. It's known for its use of Star Wars characters as guest fighters.

Soul Calibur IV 360/PS3 Decision

HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HektikLyfe

I have a LOT of 360 games and very few PS3 titles.  I enjoy the games on both systems equally.  I like the more responsive OS on the PS3.  But as for the games, it is rare that there is a clear winner on multi-platform titles like this.

I am not obsessed with my gamerscore, but that is a little bonus and a motivator to play the game a little more.  Graphics ARE important.  this is part of the reason we buy newer hardware every generation.  Video games.  If the game looks better on one system or the other, that will be a point in favor of the better graphics.

This is what I know.

There is no rumble.  That sucks.
    You can't create you own Jedi.  That is a lost opportunity right there.
    Installation is only available currently on the PS3.  Faster load times are always appreciated.

This is what I want to know.

Is there any difference in the graphical quality?  There aren't enough reviews out there.
    Does one version have a smoother framerate than the other?
    What is the "extra create a soul content" that is advertised for the limited edition?
    Will you be able to download the other Jedi for a fee?  (Yoda/Darth Vader)
    Does the PS3 version support trophies?

Why I am swaying.

The 360 has my friends.
    The 360 has a terrible digital cross.
    The 360 has points!

The PS3 loads faster.
    I have only 2 friends on the PS3.
    The PS3 has a better digital cross.
    I don't know if the PS3 version supports trophies.

Can any of you guys help me make up my mind?

Rain_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Rain_Dog

I'll answer your questions from what I've read on the interwebz. I don't own both, so I can't personally directly compare.

1. Difference in graphics quality - There is no difference. Some fanboys will look at screenshots and say one looks dimmer or the other has rougher edges, but I honestly can't tell any difference. They look the same.
    2. Frame rate is silky smooth on both versions.
    3. LE  extra content is apparently an XL t-shirt, an art book, and a tournament bracket sheet.
    4. I don't think anyone knows for sure if you'll be able to download the other character. There are rumors that you will be able to, and I'm also betting you will for a fee.
    5. PS3 version does not support trophies, but apparently has its own little achievement system called "Required Honors".
    I think you should get whatever one you want it for, but I'll tell you my decision. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and I'll be getting it on the 360 because I never used the d-pad for Soulcalibur games, achievement points to add to my score, and in my experience, the community on XBL is bigger and more outgoing. With this, though, comes more of the 11-year-olds shouting at their mom's in the middle of a game.

The two PS3 advantages are:
    • Faster load times - I've heard no complaints for the 360 version, and optional installs are coming for all games.
    • Better d-pad - I personally use the analog stick, but for people who are going to use the d-pad, I could see this as a legitimate point.

So I would ask myself how much a better d-pad matters? Not at all for me, so I'm going with the 360 version.

unworthyBOZO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By unworthyBOZO

I picking up the PS3 version because of the controller and Darth Vader

HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HektikLyfe

Food for thought indeed.

I do look forward to the online features though I may not use them much.  I like playing and having easy communication with and awareness of my friends online.  Something the PS3 has yet to master.

I don't know if I want to buy a Hori stick...

Its easier for me to plug in the XBLA headset than it is to find and charge my Warhawk Bluetooth headset.  Communication on the PS3 is kind of weird.

There is some in-game extra content for character customization according to GameStop.  GameCrazy also says, "Exclusive Downloadable character costumes and weapons" in the Premium Edition.

bowlerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By bowlerry

Im picking up 360 because i only have a 360.

HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HektikLyfe

>bowlerry: If you had the PS3, would you still make the same choice?

ProzacGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ProzacGunner

This is an excellent topic/question in which I grumbled on myself. The PS3? or the Xbox 360?

It came down to the Xbox 360 because a large portion of my friends don't have a PS3, but if 5 of my closest friends were not going to get this game I might have gone with the PS3 ver.

I heard that Yoda was pretty overpowered, immune to grab etc. "Even Yoda can't grab Yoda" lol.

Someone in a review did mention the PS3 version was a tiny bit darker, like...dark..-er, than the 360, but Graphically they were the same.

But in the end, I went with the 360 ver because I like to play with friends, especially friends I see often every week in person.

I think that Soul Calibur will play just fine with the 360 stick, I used to have SC2 on the Gamecube and tried the XBLA version, felt fine.

But if it were Street Fighter 4.... oh man, give me D-pad.

Just a personal opinion :)         

HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HektikLyfe

Yeah I think I may just be going with the 360.

Every hot new title, that isn't castrated by some form of exclusivity, has me pondering the same question.  "Will THIS be the game that helps me make new friends on the PS3 and thereby removing online friends as a deciding factor?"

Someday Sony, someday...  Metal Gear(?) sure as hell wasn't the game.

If trophies, rumble and just a little more exclusive content were part of the package, I would have been sold.  Perhaps 2009 will be the year of the Playstation 3.  The only friends I know that have PS3's use it exclusively as a Blu-Ray player.  Blu-Ray won alright, but it seems it also won the fight against games on the PS3 that Sony didn't realize it was waging war against.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Phished0ne
    ProzacGunner said:
    "I heard that Yoda was pretty overpowered, immune to grab etc. "Even Yoda can't grab Yoda" lol.

"
    I have heard the same...that Yoda is too small to hit...but the grab thing might be one of his 3 "special powers" the game has for all the characters. because one of them is "auto grab-break"
    ProzacGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ProzacGunner

Are the special powers incorporated(sp?) in standar versus?

but if not...

The Force is broken with this one.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

I'd say PS3 because I'd never sacrifice control for points. I hate the 360 d-pad.
    No vibration for either version and no trophies for PS3 version.

Roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Roland

I would get the the 360 version, it would be the much better decision in the long run. While it's true Vader>Yoda; the majority of your friends are probably on XBL, thus breathing replay value into your purchase.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By tec3297

Yeah get the 360 version...nothing beats Xbox Live.

Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Batman
    Rain_Dog said:
    "I think you should get whatever one you want it for, but I'll tell you my decision. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and I'll be getting it on the 360 because I never used the d-pad for Soulcalibur games, achievement points to add to my score, and in my experience, the community on XBL is bigger and more outgoing. With this, though, comes more of the 11-year-olds shouting at their mom's in the middle of a game.
    "
    Same reason I'm going 360.
    bowlerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By bowlerry
    HektikLyfe said:
    ">bowlerry: If you had the PS3, would you still make the same choice?"
    Yes because of online acheivments. And i prefer Yoda.
    C4libursEdgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By C4libursEdgE

I agree that the 360 has achivements which interests me alot :P, also the fact that all my friends are on Live which makes it a bonus, the PS3 D-Pad is alot better i guess id just have to smallen the ring around my D-Pad for it to be more effective.

Creciente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Creciente

Even if I had PS3, I'd probably go with 360.

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Which ever control system suits you for these types of games.

Kilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kilgore

From what I've seen on videos, there is no noticeable graphical difference in the two versions. Personally, I'm getting the ps3 version just because I like the controller better. Plus I like vader more than yoda, especially after finding out that yoda's somewhat cheep being smaller and impossible to grab. But to each his own.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Patchinko

I don't have a 360.

That said, one of my best friends has one and we both have SC4. Graphically, they look similar. It definitely looks better on my screen, but it's probably more from the fact that I'm on a bigger 1080p while he's on a smaller 720p.

I like the PS3 controller more. A lot more. I feel like with the 360 controller, I'd be better off with a joystick pad of some sort. I don't feel that way with the PS3 controller. Again, could be that I'm not as used to the 360 controller.

As for Trophies, that system has been added to the PS3, and Trophy capability will supposedly work retroactively. We'll see if that's true in the future, but I wouldn't let Gamerscore/Trophies be a motivating factor. Also, it seems likely that Darth Vader/Yoda will be DLC for the respective systems they're missing from.

However, online play is probably a big deal for you, so if you have a lot of friends playing it on XBL, it's probably better for you to go for the 360 version, don't you think? I'm not sure how the game plays over XBL, but I have had a very stable (and fun) time playing over PSN, personally, so if it's that stable, you should be fine. Maybe people who've played over XBL can give impressions on that.

I will say that being able to install is very appealing. The load times have certainly worn on me enough at this point to make me seriously consider doing it (as soon as I get my 250GB 2.5" SATA drive <3).

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scullinator

I have both a PS3 and a 360.  I almost baught it for the PS3 for the simple fact that the controller is way better for fighting games.  However when I baught a Hori Arcade stick I had to go wth 360 since there are more games to play on the arcade stick. 

The online so far works great when I get a good connection.  My Connection is poor, so sometimes I have some lag.  The load times are not bad at all.  Not worth installing on a hard drive and taking up space.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.