Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 29, 2008

The fifth installment in Namco's Soul series of weapon-based fighting games, Soulcalibur IV is the first to be released on seventh-generation consoles and the first online entry in the series. It's known for its use of Star Wars characters as guest fighters.

Tower mode & all single player achievements just got stupid easy

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Beat story on hard mode.
    Beat arcade with 450,000 points.
    Beat the tower up and down.
    This will make them all easy as pie.

First build a custom costume for Astroth with this info:
    http://shostakovich.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/8d/8dee985435df9874bb1dd469483008e698f17eac.jpg
    Do NOT build a custom Astroth, just a costume for the character himself.  Make sure you're using his soul calibur weapon.

Next, spam the hell out of his sweep to overhead smash:
    Hold DownBack A (X on xbox360, Square on PS3) to get him to do the slow charging up low sweep, then push B (Y on xbox360, triangle on PS3) to get him to transition to the overhead smash.  Do this over and over and you will destroy the CPU.  If a fighter gets too close to you, throw them and then continue to spam the combo.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

so basically its not easy unless you specifically use a glitch, exploit or build a character to make it easy?

McDazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By McDazzle
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "so basically its not easy unless you specifically use a glitch, exploit or build a character to make it easy?
    "
    Pretty much
    Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Batman

I will remember this for those moments when I'm about to break my tv.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "so basically its not easy unless you specifically use a glitch, exploit or build a character to make it easy?
    "
    Building a strong character was intended by the developers to be just about the only way you can beat the tower mode.  Exploiting the AI with a powerful low sweep was probably not intended.
    MitchyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By MitchyD
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "
    How is customizing a character's loadout an exploit?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mattbodega

The achievements in the game are definitely on the easy, unimaginative side.
    ....anyone want to play online? Give ElDeseado a shout! That's me!

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Raiden36O

some of the achievements on this game are pretty good (hard) i reckon, like the collect all equipment and acend / decend tower ones,  plus u need a pretty decent run in arcade to get 450,000+.

Just  the games AI is occasionally on the  bad side and it can be exploited.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Patchinko
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "

Props to you if you can do the whole tower without modifying or building a character.
    HTTenrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By HTTenrai

Mmm...I've been taking my time, getting around to Astaroth, but he's up there with my most abusable characters, including Mitsurugi and Kilik. This recipe should help greatly. Thank you!

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By KingBroly

Stats mean nothing in Arcade Mode.  It's standard characters all the way through.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "

Yeah really I would rather do it on my own merit than be astaroth noob
    SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SSbabel
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "
    SO well put, id do it with yoda his so dope.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolswor

Wow, it's people like you who ruin games.  Who gives a damn about achievements after you've gotten enough to get leviathan/voodoo set, and yes, it is easy to get enough achievements  to unlock those sets.  I can imagine some douche like you just sitting in practice going through every move with every character  to see if it can be spammed to break the A.I.

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Psytek

Astaroth is a good character, and definitely a good one to use getting through the tower, but there are some stages that are ridiculously difficult no matter who you use. Like the one where you have to get ring outs against people who have nullify ring out A, there aint no cheap way outta that.

1A(hold),B is a pretty good combo, but you still need to be quite good with astaroth to beat the faster characters, against whom you rarely get a chance to use such a slow charge up move.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    Wolswor said:
    "Wow, it's people like you who ruin games.  Who gives a damn about achievements after you've gotten enough to get leviathan/voodoo set, and yes, it is easy to get enough achievements  to unlock those sets.  I can imagine some douche like you just sitting in practice going through every move with every character  to see if it can be spammed to break the A.I."
    I wouldn't be posting this if it was something that affected multiplayer, but this has been a broken part of the AI for more than one SC title now.  Truth be told, I just read about this on another website, and thought I'd share it here. 

My personal feeling is that it's people like YOU who ruin games, by caring about stuff like this in the first place.  I'm not telling others how to glitch in a multiplayer game.  I'm not doing anything to ruin your fun or your SC experience. I'm explaining to them how to exploit the CPU in a mode of the game that some players find to be ridiculously difficult, and not at all fun to play.  I don't remember anyone looking for exploits like this for the quest modes of Soul Calibur 1 or 2, because they were enjoyable for most players, rather than overly frustrating.

I find it sad that you or anyone cares about how another person decides to play the single player portion of a game that they paid for.  It's obvious that this takes the fun out of things, but it's really up to each individual to decide if they want to do this or not.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wolswor

^ yes, in a sense you are teaching people how to glitch in multiplayer. I have played against multiple people who use that same effing attack with astaroth spam before.  And you obviously care about achievements to a ridiculous extent.  Also, I enjoy getting the difficulty of arcade mode and have yet to get 450,000 pts but when I do, I want to be one of the few that have done it legit.  Now whenever I look at the leader boards the only style I see is Astaroth.  The same applies to the TOLS, I want to be one of the few who do it legit and I want the leaderboards to reflect that, but because of this glitch there's no way that will happen.  So yes, you are ruining my playing experience that I payed for and I'm tired of every game board having this same post "OMG I FOUND A WAY TO GLITCH ACHIEVMENTS!!!"

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    Wolswor said:
    ^ yes, in a sense you are teaching people how to glitch in multiplayer. I have played against multiple people who use that same effing attack with astaroth spam before.  And you obviously care about achievements to a ridiculous extent. 
    The attack works against the CPU because it doesn't seem programed to rush in and quickly attack if someone is doing a charge move, and it's especially vulnerable to low attacks.  This is not the same as multiplayer, where any half-decent player should be able to stop that nonsense as soon as it starts.  Go over to http://caliburforum.com and complain that the astroth sweep to overhead "glitch" ruins multiplayer fighting.  You'll most likely be laughed out of the forum.

As to me being an achievement whore, one look at my gamercard will tell you otherwise.  Across all games I own, I doubt I have even 20% of my total potential gamer score.  I haven't even beaten tower mode yet, although if I get really stuck and tower mode isn't fun for me anymore, I'll likely do the Astroth AI glitch just to see the end.  Sorry if you don't like that, but it's for me to decide.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wolswor

Yes, of course it's easy to beat.  It's the same as complaining about cervantes move spam, it is easily dodged/impacted.  The point is it ruins the whole multiplayer experience, I enjoy a tough fight.  Not a move spammer getting trashed 3 times by me.  By the way, the whole point of the tower was that only good players would be able to see the top, I like that idea.  Now any retard who can push two buttons can get there.

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Psytek

Human players can block a low attack that takes 3+ seconds to charge... the cpu just doesn't 'think' like that.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

i need to remember that. i haven't tried the tower yet but my brother and my friend have sat there for hours trying to do it.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Homer
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "

Yeah I'd prefer not to do this.
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I was wondering why in the rankings, the high scores all had a Astaroth Astaroth combination. I will use him to get the Honors, but I never liked that character, and that combo is useless against people anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.