Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SoulCalibur: Lost Swords

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 06, 2014

A single player, free-to-play entry in the SoulCalibur series, bringing together the time-skipped warriors from SCV with classics from previous entries.

So This Game Happened (Kind of)

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Downloaded it to see if it was exactly the same as Tekken Revolution. Haven't been able to play it yet due to errors. Was curious if anyone has gotten in and had any luck playing it (and what it's like).

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@cloudyimpulse: Yeah. Same here. It's free, so I figured I would at least play it for a bit, but just keep getting the server connection error. Which I find completely ridiculous since it is a single player game.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalbaofu: Wait, this is a single player only game? It's not like Tekken Revolution where it has an Arcade mode for single player and then an online matchmaking system?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

it's out now? Hmmmmmm, might give it a shot...... I'm so done with Soul Calibur after 3, series is eating it's own ass.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MetalBaofu

@crithon: Yeah, it came out on Tuesday.

@metalbaofu: Wait, this is a single player only game? It's not like Tekken Revolution where it has an Arcade mode for single player and then an online matchmaking system?

Everything I have seen about it says it has no online or local multiplayer. I can't speak from personal experience, though, since I haven't been able to get into the game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalbaofu: so is it the same coin based system of Tekken Revolution?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Wait...what the hell a fighting game that has no multiplayer of any sort? What the hell is the point then?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just saw this video..... oh wow, that's painful....

Loading Video...

I honestly was surprised there's no online matches like tekken revolution.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@metalbaofu: so is it the same coin based system of Tekken Revolution?

I have no idea.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalbaofu: Ugh, look like it's the whole character create mode, clothing unlocks.... sigh this is not why I play Soul Calibur in the first place.

Oh well, on the bright side, I saw Soul Calibur 5 in a used bin for 10 bucks. So there's always an alternative against free to play.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cloudyimpulse

@crithon: Wow, I just woke up to check stuff on the forums. That was brutal. I have it downloaded but haven't tried getting back into it since I had the initial errors. They have to be patching in the Online Versus mode at some point right? RIGHT!?

This can't be it.

And still no Tekken x Street Fighter info. So sad, as it's really the last Namco thing I'm interested in at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait...what the hell a fighting game that has no multiplayer of any sort? What the hell is the point then?

I find it INSANE that they'd release it without multiplayer. Isn't that the lifeblood of a fighting game? There's not even LOCAL multiplayer according to you guys! Seriously, what the hell?!

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow, this looks bad. Really bad. And considering you can buy SC5 for like $10 now... this is really, really bad.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@demoskinos said:

I find it INSANE that they'd release it without multiplayer. Isn't that the lifeblood of a fighting game? There's not even LOCAL multiplayer according to you guys! Seriously, what the hell?!

Personally, the lack of multiplayer means nothing to me. When I play a fighting game I only ever play through whatever story it has, then never play it again. I do agree that putting out a fighting game with no multiplayer is completely insane, though. All I've read about it says it is single player and the focus is on "completing missions." Whatever that means. Maybe it's something like that mission mode from the first Soulcalibur?

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They must of thought about back in the day with the original SoulCalibur games that had that mission/story mode when people praised how awesome that was (before online play really existed). I haven't tried this story mode (as I'm not at home), but man does that seem not way gooded from the videos I'm searching.

Still the best story mode in any fighting game has been the recent Mortal Kombat game that came out. But there was no way they would put that kind of money behind their story mode. I'm just not sure why they would waste ANY money on converting this over without a matchmaking service.

Anyone know if Tekken Revolution is actually making money for them?

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Started playing this; it’s pretty bad. Just buy SCII:HD and play the mission mode if you’re looking for a single-player SC experience. Or buy SC5 for really cheap.

Aside from the fact that 50% of your time will be spend waiting for menus to load, the game itself doesn’t seem very fun. I don’t mind that it’s single-player only, since it is a free game, but mehhhh.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is the first time I've tried to play it again since I originally installed it (and got the errors). And of course they're in maintenance mode. I'm gonna play this game one day got damnit!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Guys..... Just buy SC5 for 10 dollars.

It's pretty fucking good.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cloudyimpulse

Wow I just finally got in and tried it. This is bad. You're right, why would anyone play this even for free. Why did Namco even spend time and money making this. Loading times are just FANTASTICAL and I looked at the pricing for stuff and it's so weirdly insane.

ViciousBear is right, just buy a copy of IV or V used if you really want SoulCalibur that bad.

So sad.

EDIT: Just noticed on the PSN store if you have PS+ Membership, Soulcalibur 5 is $5. Man is this service such a deal. If you have a PS3 or PS4 or Vita, you should have this service.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crithon

Ooooookay, I played it..... yeah, it's an odd duck. It's somewhat the opposite of Tekken Revolution. Stepping away from online multiplayer with tokens to play online, instead going with single player and character creation but still having the same AI since 1998. It's about a solid hours worth until it started demanding continue tickets and AP Potions, the systems currency so that's the time I turned it off. While still just sampling it I'm not really impressed, I know there's a lot of people who enjoy the Quests and character customization in Soul Calibur but I can understand why this is the free to play element. It is the warning sign for someone like me who loves tournaments of Soul Calibur since 1998 to now know I should avoid this like the plaque.

The menu system still is horrible since Soul Calbur 3 on PS2, I was able to discover the real meat is buried away in Events. Some really challenging matches with cheap AI so that means I have to level grind my character to match them.... but then playing this game you need to buy tickets and potions although 4 are given away from the start..... hmmmmm..... I might give it a shot next day when this whole system recharges. It's pretty weird. I mean I'd be happier to read someone who's a quest and character creator fan write a review. Because for me if I wrote a review it'd start with "WAIT A MINUTE? WHY IS RAPHAEL FRENCH AND A VAMPIRE? WASN'T HE SPANISH IN THE BEGINNING OF SC2???" I'm a bitter Soul Calibur fanboy.

If I were kind maybe 2 out of 5 but really it should be a 1 out of 5. I saw Soul Calibur 4 on sale for 5 bucks and 5 I know can be bought around 10 bucks in lots of places.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crithon

I put more time into this, and it's not complete garbage. The whole intention is basically single player mode and craft a character items, but not that crazy character customization everyone sees on youtube. The thing that didn't sour me completely on it is that the pricing model isn't completely broken, 2 bucks for continue tickets and AP Potion (which are used to extend your one hour gameplay), and then it ranges from 6 to 20 dollar other items. 6 dollars to extend your item hold, and 10 dollars to draw 5 random items, and 20 bucks for every item in previous soul calibur games. It's no where near as bad as Dungeon Keeper, it's still 1 hour gameplay that's a single player leveling up your hero to share as an assist character to other players.

Where I do think the game does fall short are the load items and the menu. The over 20 to 30 second load times are just embarising especially considering how legendary Tekken and Soul Calibur always were the standard of fast load times. Maybe they are syncing up to a server as they load, which probably makes sense, but then your watching the AP timing just count down as the loading continues. Then the menus are really what gives everyone that impression that Japanese devs really don't know how to design menus. It's overly messy and everything is just difficult to be access, this isn't the idea to steal more money out of you in fact there's never a moment where "would you like to increase your item box for 6 dollars?" But with that AP count down just clicking away, and your shuffling around menus trying to figure out how to throw away 2 different pants, but you have to go into look into item box which is at the bottom and sell which is the middle. It's a mess, even if you spend time just memorizing it.

It's an odd F2P game, not the worst I've ever seen. So far I have seen AI using Cervantes, Taki, Lizardman, Hilde and Hiehachi animation, but every single Ally I recieve is either Mitsurugi, Sophitia or Siegfried. So that's really what the common player base are actually using.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.