Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur V

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jan 31, 2012

Set seventeen years after Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V introduces a number of new characters to the roster and offers new gameplay tweaks and online enhancements.

Soul Calibur's Character Select Screen

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AwesomeAquaman
    No Caption Provided

Got this screenshot during the exhibition at Northeast Championships. Looks like there's twelve more character slots I hope the twelve are the ones that they seemingly replaced with the lame new characters.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Really hope this game has a good character balance.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By countinhallways

I am loving the general artwork and colour scheme from everything SC5 related I have seen so far. Looks good.

Hopefully it plays well to boot.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By upwarDBound

If Sophitia's not in there, I will be sad.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands

I never cared for any of the Soul Calibur cast of characters. In SC1, 3, and 4 I had never found a character I liked to play. A new cast of characters is a great thing for me. I hope those last twelve slots are for more new characters :p

Seriously though. I get it. I wouldn't like it if Capcom pulled a SF3 again on a new SF game.

I haven't payed much attention to SC5 but are most of the new characters clone-ish in terms of gameplay? They certainly look pretty similar to some other characters. Didn't notice immediately that the girl in that screenshot up there was a new character and not that lady who's name I forget.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@SuperWristBands said:

I never cared for any of the Soul Calibur cast of characters. In SC1, 3, and 4 I had never found a character I liked to play. A new cast of characters is a great thing for me. I hope those last twelve slots are for more new characters :p

Seriously though. I get it. I wouldn't like it if Capcom pulled a SF3 again on a new SF game.

I haven't payed much attention to SC5 but are most of the new characters clone-ish in terms of gameplay? They certainly look pretty similar to some other characters. Didn't notice immediately that the girl in that screenshot up there was a new character and not that lady who's name I forget.

The game is set eighteen years after Soul Calibur IV, and many of these new characters are of the next generation, including Natsu (Taki's protege) Patroklos and Pyrrha (Sophitia's son and daughter), and Leixia (Xianghua's and possibly Kilik's daughter). They play similarly to the older characters, though I don't know if their movesets will be identical. Namco had stated that not all of the older characters would return, so don't expect to see Sophitia or Xianghua pop up in the roster.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@Hailinel: And conveniently some characters can never age. The favorite, poster characters.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1

Is Link in this one?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@msavo said:

Is Link in this one?

Nope.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By PixelPrinny

I'm gonna miss Seung Mina D: Oh well, the game still looks like it'll be fun. I'll prolly hold off from a day 1 purchase just to make sure the netcode isn't garbage this time around. So far Viola is the one I'm most interested in playing; she reminds me of Rose in a way. Looking forward to seeing what other characters are in the game.

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@msavo said:

Is Link in this one?

AHHHHHHH!!!!

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BBQBram

Mitsurugi.

That is all.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bearshamanbro

I can't wait for this game and have it pre-ordered. With that said, does it strike anyone else odd that there are 12 unannounced characters with little over a month until the game ships? I wonder if they have many new characters or if most of the rest will be returning characters. Just seems odd to not have more revealed at this point.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By TechHits

@bearshamanbro said:

I can't wait for this game and have it pre-ordered. With that said, does it strike anyone else odd that there are 12 unannounced characters with little over a month until the game ships? I wonder if they have many new characters or if most of the rest will be returning characters. Just seems odd to not have more revealed at this point.

it seems that teasing characters months in advance is a relativity new trend, they may leave a portion of the roster a mystery before the game launches.

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Habast

Cannot wait for SCV, my favorite game series is back! :D

AwesomeAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AwesomeAquaman

@bearshamanbro said:

It might not even be twelve, they could make changes since it's not the final build.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Superkenon

@AwesomeAquaman said:

It might not even be twelve, they could make changes since it's not the final build.

They tend not to show screenshots of character select screens until they've got the final numbers nailed down. Since that's a fairly recent image even, I'm willing to assume that's the final format. That said, I barely ever know what I'm talking about.

I bet at least a couple of slots will be reserved for DLC entrants though.

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rowen545

I do not mind the change. I still own SC 1,2, and 4 and still enjoy playing them. So if I really want those characters I have no problem getting those back out. Actually I feel like for several games I have been hearing about Sophitia having a son so it should be cool to play as him.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I haven't really followed any SCV media and I'm willing to guess that Sophie's son plays like his mom and her daughter plays like Cassandra. Namco's creative like that.

HelperBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By HelperBomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y2wtJ2DgoEw Setuska might be playable??

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.