Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jul 30, 1998

The sequel to Namco's earlier fighting game Soul Edge, continuing the story of the cursed blade "Soul Edge" (now corrupting the noble knight Siegfried into the dreaded knight Nightmare).

Character tiers/rankings

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Watching This is the Run has been great but every time Dan says Taki/Maxi suck I always get a weird feeling. I played a lot of SC as well and remember those two being two of the better characters. I know they aren't using "pro strats" and a lot of this is personal preference but I was wondering if someone had something that would shed some light onto this for me. Just so I can know whether Dan is right and I played with bad characters or not.

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dan is usually never right, so you can rest safely there. Off the top of my head I knew that neither of them were bad characters, and I recalled certain ones like Seung Mina and Rock are pretty low-tier (bad). So I checked Google and the shoryuken wiki has a basic tier list on it that jives with my experience: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/SoulCalibur_I

It's worth mentioning that Dan and Vinny are nowhere near the type of player that would even care about this type of list. It's based on a level of competitive play and meta-gaming.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@aphal: I know they aren't that type of player, I even mentioned it in my post but I just wanted to have some help giving my feelings a base. I also find it a bit funny that the majority of Dan's favorite characters (Sueng Mina, Mitsurugi, Kilik and Cervantes to a lesser extent) are considered B tier.

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lower tier characters can be really fun to play too. I loved Talim and Yun-seong's move sets in SC4 and they were both pretty low on the totem pole.

Avatar image for chunlixiaoyufan
    ChunLiXiaoyuFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ChunLiXiaoyuFan

@aphal: Weren't both Talim, Maxi, and Yun-Seong considered low-tier and Mi-na and Rock bottom-tier in SCIV (Yoda being bottom of the barrel-tier if counting guest characters)? =/

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WynnDuffy

Taki and Maxi are both in the S tier, meaning they are two of the best, if not the best in the game.

S Tier: Taki, Maxi, Xianghua, Yoshimitsu

A Tier: Astaroth, Night/Sieg, Hwang, Lizardman, Sophitia, Ivy, Voldo

B Tier: Rock, Kilik, Mitsurugi, Cervantes, Seung Mina

(found the above on Shoryuken)

Dan is very quick to blame the game or characters for him not doing well, you can see it in Yakuza 0 as well lol.

I do wish they would put a little more effort into learning the mechanics of the games they play, after 10+ episodes of Yakuza 0 Dan still doesn't really bother doing anything but mash on Yakuza.

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely, but they were still fun to play with. Rock and Mina were kind of clunky, unless you got really good at Rock's command throws and then you could mess people up with him.

@aphal: Weren't both Talim, Maxi, and Yun-Seong considered low-tier and Mi-na and Rock bottom-tier in SCIV (Yoda being bottom of the barrel-tier if counting guest characters)? =/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.